Nylon hanging on by a thread

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
According to the latest fiber stats nylon is just barely above polyester and that only because of the commercial market where nylon is still dominant.

Nylon BCF 46% Nylon staple 0%
PET/PTT BCF 36% PET staple 6%
PP BCF 11% PP staple 1%

Source: PCI fibres

Other interesting stat is the softest nylon fibers are not doing well 4DPF so they have gone back to 7-9 DPF (denier per fiber)

90% of commercial nylon is solution dyed

The new Pet Protect solution-dyed 6, 6 solution-dyed nylon doubled sales which is probably the only reason nylon is still in the lead.

Shaw has a new backing Lifeguard with a moisture barrier in a commercial grade backing along with their R2X stain treatment.

I guess you could say the industry is going to the dogs.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Maybe that is why they all started producing other types of flooring because they are killing carpet. The one thing I forgot is that most of them are switching to virgin polyesters instead of pop bottles which is a little more resilient. Pop bottles are just as expensive now and they are having trouble recycling PET carpet.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
.....and THAT is why everyone is ditching carpet.

Dale Webb began building Sun City, CA in 1963. The year I was born. It was finished in 1969. Many of the old houses still have the original wool and jute-backed first generation nylon carpets....and they still clean up great. They may be out of style by many decades and ugly, but they still are serviceable.

Some of the old folks decide to "update and upgrade" to new carpet. Get sold polyester and are very disappointed when they have horrible dull traffic lanes in 6 months.

Take care,
Lisa

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Dale Webb began building Sun City, CA in 1963. The year I was born. It was finished in 1969.
Wow - My folks bought a house in Phoenix in '69 - built by Dell Webb. Dell? Dale? Same person? He built a number of big retirement communities around Phoenix including Sun City, AZ. I lived there from about 6th grade until I got married (at 18).

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We have an older housing stock here, always amazes me to see 20 year old carpet still looking pretty good.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Since the carpet mills can't be bothered to educate people about their carpet choices, they are competing with Chinese mills in the race to the bottom. Carpet manufacturing will follow the path of furniture and so many other items that we used to make and only the higher-end manufacturers will remain.

Who knows, at the low end maybe the Chinese can't possibly make a poorer quality product?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Del Webb also built Sun City Florida.

Add me to the list... Love nylon, and hate the 2 polys (polyester, and polypropylene).

The mills are not paying attention. Haven't for years. A lot of what they build is junk. Their market is shrinking. Yet they don't see the writing on the wall and they continue right along doing business as usual. Lunacy!

Reactions: Mikey P

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Del Webb also built Sun City Florida.

Add me to the list... Love nylon, and hate the 2 polys (polyester, and polypropylene).

The mills are not paying attention. Haven't for years. A lot of what they build is junk. Their market is shrinking. Yet they don't see the writing on the wall and they continue right along doing business as usual. Lunacy!

Rick,
Be thankful you are focused on the commercial side as nylon still dominates and carpet tile is the biggest component. Mohawk was thinking about trying SmartStrand in commercial but decided to stick with residential.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
This was an" interesting" product from the Wools of New Zealand group. They combined wool with nettles. The nettles have a luster similar to silk and of take dye at a different rate than the wool, so it gives the products an interesting character.

That character is going to have cleaners ruining rugs.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom