Nylon is still king

hogjowl

Idiot™
There's an article in Floor Covering Weekly this week discussing the rise in the number of distributors in the carpet supply chain of late. This number rises and falls over time for various reasons I have never completely understood, and the article didn't delve into it. What the article did mention was the fact that different mills have different private label brands that they supply these distributors with. One of these brands is Anything Goes by Shaw.

Duane Goetze, residential marketing director for ShawMark, commenting on the "increased demand for polyester carpet, is quoted as saying "we've tested every available fiber, and nylon is the only fiber that will pass our durability requirements for Anything Goes.

So, this tells me that Shaw (and probably Mohawk) gets it. Polyester sucks.

But yet they still insist on producing carpets made of this junk.

Why do I bring this up?

Because this subject is a great blog or newsletter for your customers. If you can educate them about what to avoid and what to expect in relation to their fiber selection, it will be of benefit to both you and them.

Name
Lee Stockwell
"Anything goes" has been around for a while, nearly 10 years I think. The bogus "demand" for cheaper fibers is driven by sales people who can make more profit on the less durable stuff.

The reason people haven't "heard" of it is likely a result of the lack of negative reviews that get attention.

Nylon of any sort is king.

hogjowl

Idiot™
"Anything goes" has been around for a while, nearly 10 years I think. The bogus "demand" for cheaper fibers is driven by sales people who can make more profit on the less durable stuff.

The reason people haven't "heard" of it is likely a result of the lack of negative reviews that get attention.

Nylon of any sort is king.

It was around in the 90's, when I was in the business. I never bought anything through them because distributors were at a disadvantage with me being so close to Dalton. I could order anything a dist. offered for less straight from the mill ... and nylon was still used in most products. Today, if I was going back into that business, I'd probably start with a distributor and stay with nylon products, if possible.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I agree that nylon is king but unfortunately nylon is like the queen of England with no power as residential polyester will have over 50% of the market in 2015. And most will be PET not PTT (SmartStrand).

Reactions: Mark Saiger
Back
Top Bottom