Odd verbiage

Mikey P

Administrator
Comments :
Need an 800 sq ft guest house done, and some pet stains in the main house living room. I've used your services for decades. Preference is in the morning of Monday the 28th if you're available (please). It's a move out. I'm trying to cancel the service the tenants are trying to use so you can come do it because you did it before they moved in so it should be the same quality service, not some unknown inferior newbies.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Tenants do have the right, but I think it should be in the original lease agreement to have the preferred cleaning company do the work when they move out

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
What are you, a communist?
Tenants do have the right, but I think it should be in the original lease agreement to have the preferred cleaning company do the work when they move out
What's in the lease agreement?
Did the owner pass the cleaning requirement on to the tenant?
Some of my customers who have rental properties require their tenants to only use me for their cleaning needs.
This would only be for the carpets owned by the landlord.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What's in the lease agreement?
Did the owner pass the cleaning requirement on to the tenant?
Some of my customers who have rental properties require their tenants to only use me for their cleaning needs.
This would only be for the carpets owned by the landlord.
That's probably illegal even if it's in the lease agreement. Tenants have the obligation to leave the place clean. How they do it is their business. You can make recommendations but you can't force them to use anyone specific.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
That's probably illegal even if it's in the lease agreement. Tenants have the obligation to leave the place clean. How they do it is their business. You can make recommendations but you can't force them to use anyone specific.
I'm not a lawyer-- But it IS the Landlord's Property.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
jack zerkie
The renters can call whoever but if the hire CHEAP and it's not a good job . The landlord will hire his cleaner and the renter pays twice. Quite common but we all like to save,$$$ jz

Reactions: Papa John

FredC

Village Idiot
The renters can call whoever but if the hire CHEAP and it's not a good job . The landlord will hire his cleaner and the renter pays twice. Quite common but we all like to save,$$$ jz

In many cases it would actually be the landlord paying twice if he held it out of the deposit because many states allow up to treble damages (sometimes automatically) for wrongly withheld security deposits.

also just because something is said in a lease doesn't make it legal/binding. Some states require cleaning fees, including carpet, to be listed upfront if they are going to be required. Other states say you can't charge for or require carpet cleaning at all no matter what the lease states.

there are of course other things that factor in like "normal wear and tear"

ymmv...check state landlord tenant laws

steve_64

We have a base rate for cleaning. Carpet and other. We give x hours or base unit for carpet. Anything above that is written up as damages.

We have one property management company that has a lease that states the tenant must have the carpets cleaned themselves. Sometimes they do it but not usually then the landlord will deduct it from the deposit.

Last edited:

steve_64

And he can pay who ever he wants to clean it. He cannot force the tenant to use a specific cleaner if the tenant is paying for it. That's you live in the land of the free.
But if the carpet is not as clean as it was before they moved in management can charge them for recleaning. At least that's happened here.

FredC

Village Idiot
But if the carpet is not as clean as it was before they moved in

That is the very definition of normal wear and tear................they can charge for "damages"

Reactions: Papa John

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
But if the carpet is not as clean as it was before they moved in management can charge them for recleaning. At least that's happened here.
It becomes a wear and tear issue. Family moved in on brand new carpets, lives there 2 years, those carpets are never going to be new again.

steve_64

Thanks Fred. I don't remember ever reading that.
I've seen the leases that state it's to be returned the way they rented it and carpets must be professionally cleaned and paid for by tenant.
Maybe the PM is in the wrong but my charges have been upheld in court.

Normal wear and tear is rare.

steve_64

We also charge for damages if we have to rake first.
Genny just told me we had to rewrite an invoice because of wording. Can't charge forhauling trash out of home just for hauling it to the dump and dump fees.
So I guess it's in the wording.

FredC

Village Idiot
Thanks Fred. I don't remember ever reading that.
I've seen the leases that state it's to be returned the way they rented it and carpets must be professionally cleaned and paid for by tenant.
Maybe the PM is in the wrong but my charges have been upheld in court.

Normal wear and tear is rare.

maybe there was actually damage which of course the landlord has to show......and again ymmv by state

many landlords don't know what they can and can't do...neither do tenants....I see a lot of leases just pulled from the internet

Landlords tend to get away with stuff they shouldn't because tenants never go through the process/court

steve_64

This particular company is a high end company. They manage the house that looks like a bomb shelter. But I agree it sounds like they are pushing the cleaning issue.

Reactions: FredC

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
its written in most contracts here to clean on exit but isn't actually legally enforcable

If a tenant has passed inspections without carpet cleaning being noted as needed during their tenancy, then its "passed" and cant be enforced on leaving

Reactions: Cleanworks

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And he can pay who ever he wants to clean it. He cannot force the tenant to use a specific cleaner if the tenant is paying for it. That's you live in the land of the free.
I've had 2 PM's that had it written into the lease to specify that I did the carpets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom