Office manager

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm looking to hire a part to full time office manager soon.

If you have an office manager for your business, what are some tips you can give me to keep them occupied when the phone is not ringing?

I would prefer someone w/ somewhat decent in sales, so they can also close/upsell jobs on the phone while booking/scheduling. (not just an order taker).

I have some ideas but figured I'd ask you guys as well.

Thx,
Bill

Last edited:
Name
Brad Gouveia
I do not have a manager yet, but my first thought is odds are your not going to find anyone worth much offering part time.

Offer big bonus if/when they land any jobs they fished out.

Just my thoughts.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
I'm looking to hire a part to full time office manager soon.

If you have an office manager for your business, what are some tips you can give me to keep them occupied when the phone is not ringing?

I would prefer someone w/ somewhat decent in sales, so they can also close/upsell jobs on the phone while booking/scheduling. (not just an order taker).

I have some ideas but figured I'd ask you guys as well.

Thx,
Bill

I have a full time Business Manager. She answers the phone, does all the billing, monitors our Webpage and Facebook page, monitors receivables, monitors cash flow, moves people around when needed, writes checks,............ Then has lunch! For a break, She attends a networking event once a week. In the afternoon, she'll take care of E-mail, call the next day's appointments and engineer the schedule for the next few days, making sure that resources are used efficiently. She's a major player in setting goals and keeping score of how we are progressing.

I would submit looking for someone personable, and comfortable with people, not just sales...

Name
Yohance
I have a full time Business Manager. She answers the phone, does all the billing, monitors our Webpage and Facebook page, monitors receivables, monitors cash flow, moves people around when needed, writes checks,............ Then has lunch! For a break, She attends a networking event once a week. In the afternoon, she'll take care of E-mail, call the next day's appointments and engineer the schedule for the next few days, making sure that resources are used efficiently. She's a major player in setting goals and keeping score of how we are progressing.

I would submit looking for someone personable, and comfortable with people, not just sales...
Your manager stays busy which is great.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Have her build lists of commercial carpet prospects, call for name of facilities managers, mail letters to them, call and ask for opportunity to make quotes.

Build contact list of plumbers, mail your WDR info to make appointments for you to meet with those interested in relationship with your company.

Have her do all your leg work that you don't have time to do so them the little time you have can be maximized.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Tests for everything you expect from her/him. Math, taking messages, spelling, typing,excel,word,local geography... Find out 1st before hiring!

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Mine does about the same as Shawn but I haven't let go of the check book yet. Not that I don't trust her but I have just not part of my business go yet. I also have her visit our referral sources weekly. She spends about 15 hours a week out of the office which gives her a break. We also have a part time csr that works 20 hours a week mostly mornings when call traffic is high. Any down time for your csr should be geared towards marketing. My girls call 20 past clients a day.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Three trucks running. My Job Description? Up until 2008, I was mostly in a management position (estimates, and catching same day jobs, touch ups, networking, etc.), but with the economy taking a turn, I decided to return back to the truck. It was a good decision, since I needed the exercise and needed to get "Street Smart" again. And, that's why a full time Business Manager was needed.

I can't work and answer the phone (multitask) anymore. Too stressful!

Reactions: Mikey P

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Hey David, how well do your past customers respond to you calling them? Positive or negative? Do you book alot of jobs with that?

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Shawn we call and remind them that last time we cleaned we left them a free spotter bottle and we are calling to see if they need another free refill. It opens the door in a non threatening way so it doesn't sound like a sales call. It leads to booking a good amount of jobs. This idea came from SFS. Steve is a very smart guy

Reactions: Chris A

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Here are some things we do to help in finding new staff

1. Have all candidates call a cell phone and leave a message. We keep a cell for just this reason. Everyone on our staff calls customers, CSR, office manager, techs. Great phone skills are a must. If the first time you hear from them is less than stellar it will probably not get any better.

2. Do your first interview over the phone. Keep it to twenty minutes. If you are not drawn to them over the phone your customers probably will not be. At some point in the interview tell them you are just not hearing a super star. See what they do when faced with adversity. This will happen on the phone on a regular basis. If they can't come back and convince you they are a super star, will they be able to do it for your company? Probably not. If you do not like them over the phone after twenty minutes don't bring them in no matter what the resume looks like.

3. Schedule your second interview in the office. Have them meet with 3 staff members. Get multiple looks from different staff members. Have them ride on the truck for a day. If they cannot connect with the techs how are they going to give direction from the office.

4. Take them to dinner before you hire them. People cannot keep up a front for a two hour dinner. Have them bring a spouse or guest. They will be more of who they are. If there is crazy at home you want to find out cause crazy comes to work.

When it comes to a job description you need to do the following.

What is the top 3 strengths you need from this staff member?

In order of importance what are top 10 tasks they need to manage.

Write down what should the work week look like in time blocks. I know that the phones can get ringing but having a time plan will help when things get crazy to help them get back on track. It also gives you a guide to refer to when doing reviews.
We all get lost in our work week a time plan will help you more than you can imagine. My first manager made me do this many years ago and it has been a tool I have returned to over and over again.
We are used to being in the field and having a dynamic work week. Office personal will have this happen also but they need a plan to their week.

Tasks fall into 5 categories for a small company office personal
1. Sales - inbound and out bound sales
2. Marketing - social media maintenance, prospect mailings, web maintenance, review site monitoring
3. Office Management - Time cards, scheduling staff, HR duties
4. Customer retention - mailings, follow up phone calls to each job, 3,6,9,12, month post cards
5. Production - job fold prep, uniform maintenance, materials ordering

This is not an exhaustive list at all. The truth is no one person can do all these things well. Pick what is most important to your company's success.
Start with a organization flow chart then write a job description for each position. Make it achievable for one individual and the time the will be working. Sometimes folks will have two or more Job descriptions on their plate. It is not that it can't happen you just need to make sure everyone knows it is happening so you can work towards growth and hiring for that position. You should visit these a couple times per year and see if they are still true and working. These can and will change. They are dynamic documents not static.

Hiring new staff is never easy and sometimes we do not get it right. Having things in writing prior to the process will give you a better chance of success. When it does happen it makes life great!

Reactions: dealtimeman
Back
Top Bottom