Oh no, I have a Hernia!

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I have had a bump in my left side of my groin for a few years. No pain whatsoever, no firm mass, just soft tissue but lately it has grown larger. So I went to the doc and the diagnosis is Left Inguinal Hernia. I'm 67, I'm getting old. Fortunately it wasn't the big C.
I'm sure some of you had the same thing. Seems to be pretty common.
I'm seeing the surgeon for a pre op consultation tomorrow. I have a few questions
Could I just live with that hernia since I have no pain , I am skinny and in great shape?
If I had it done (they suggest a mesh) how soon after that will I be able to clean carpets?
I have a titanium wand and a teflon glide so it is not strenuous for me at all right now. And I hardly ever do more than 3 jobs a day.
Also, the ski season is coming up for me.I don't wasn't to miss out on that.
Should I try to have it done the end of October so could I ski by the middle of December?
I could put it off until the end of March. Is that too risky?
I think there is support underwear for Hernias. Would that be for pre op management or to aid the recovery. Or is that a waste of money?
Is there anything else that I should know? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Easy answer: Follow your physician's guidance.

Experience answers:

My father lived with a hernia for years and cleaned carpet using portable equipment (how he got the hernia in the first place) back in the days when those units were on four casters and had to be deadlifted in and out of a truck. Later, he pushed a heavy stainless steel Prochem wand without a glide in the same condition.

He just used a brace.

Was it a good idea? Probably not.

I was back at "work" (if you call sitting at a computer work) the next day after my surgery, but was told not to go up any steps; so I had an employee lift me to each floor with the fork lift. I was lifting boxes of chemicals, portables, and dehumidifiers at four weeks.

Your results may vary, as they say...

Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Easy answer: Follow your physician's guidance.

Experience answers:

My father lived with a hernia for years and cleaned carpet using portable equipment (how he got the hernia in the first place) back in the days when those units were on four casters and had to be deadlifted in and out of a truck. Later, he pushed a heavy stainless steel Prochem wand without a glide in the same condition.

He just used a brace.

Was it a good idea? Probably not.

I was back at "work" (if you call sitting at a computer work) the next day after my surgery, but was told not to go up any steps; so I had an employee lift me to each floor with the fork lift. I was lifting boxes of chemicals, portables, and dehumidifiers at four weeks.

Your results may vary, as they say...
Now that I know it's a hernia and not Cancer I'm kind of relieved. I'm also always a bit suspicious of the Medical profession and their motives.
I ask myself, do I really need this Op or are they just trying to make money off me.
How long did you have before everything was back to normal?

Reactions: SamIam

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Follow your doctor’s advice for sure is the best advice. That’s why I don’t shown my doctor mine, for real. 😬 I got mine from 2
gall bladder attacks in 10. I tried to get the surgeon to do a 2 for 1😬 He didn’t, I haven’t!

Reactions: SamIam

FredC

Village Idiot
If it's small and you aren't having any symptoms it can just be watched. The repair suggestion is because it can become strangulated and then you're having emergency surgery....might ruin ski season

Edit - not a doctor and your doctor may have additional reasons

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
If it's small and you aren't having any symptoms it can just be watched. The repair suggestion is because it can become strangulated and then you're having emergency surgery....might ruin ski season

Edit - not a doctor and your doctor may have additional reasons
I had a double hernia at 11 years old....a week in hospital and a few weeks outta school...
Perhaps AI is gonna do the slicing an dicing.....

Dr. Kleen

Name
Jodi Fandozzi
Had double hernia surgery in 19. Went in for 1 and they found another, said that was common though. Robot did repair, mesh. I was hurting for about a week, told not to do much but walk for a week. I was back to office cleaning, light duty, by middle of 2nd week. To be honest I didn’t do much carpet cleaning as it was my “slow time” of the year until about 6 weeks after surgery. I think I could’ve after about 4 weeks. Used to get annoying sharp pains after surgery for about 2 years. Not constant just every now and then. Was told it could be the mesh. Haven’t had that for a while now!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Ever since Fred C. ran off our local carpet cleaning medical doctors and closed their room here, we’ve not been able to get medical advice worth following.
So I agree with Jim P.

Or were you just wanting us to start a go fund me for you?

Reactions: Mikey P

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
OK thanks. I thought there might be more people on this forum who would chime in with first hand practical real world experience and some advice that could actually be helpful to me.
Oh well. I'll check on Youtube.

FredC

Village Idiot
Oh well. I'll check on Youtube.

You'll definitely find what you're looking for to help you make the decision you want to....whether that's bad surgery/mesh experiences or success stories

Ask your surgeon all those questions tomorrow....

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had hernia surgery in 2017. I hate doctors and needles. I was really stressed out about it. I was in a little pain. It ended up not being a big deal. After about a week I was bored out of my mind and started doing light work.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I got my appointment Oct 30 for surgery it will be done by a robot. Like in Star trek I'll be in Sickbay. The doctor said I'll be able to do anything I want after just a few days. Even Skiing. "Just stay out of the moguls for a bit" is what he said. He must be a skier LOL
DR Kleen mentioned sharp pain from the mesh.
The fabric the my doc uses is polyester. That has the longest track record. They also use polypropylene. I would not want cheap rental grade fabric implanted in my groin. So I think I'm good with the Polyester.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
The fabric the my doc uses is polyester. That has the longest track record. They also use polypropylene. I would not want cheap rental grade fabric implanted in my groin. So I think I'm good with the Polyester.
No nylon options :biggrin:

We can compare notes, I sneezed setting up a job August of 2022 and felt a sharp pain on right side. After getting an ultrasound the surgeon said there was nothing he could do with the <1/4" tear. It started bulging early this summer, I've been wearing a belt that works great, gets me through active days. Have an appointment with surgeon September 1st, see what he has to say.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
My surgeon said not to even mess with belts he told me he could have me fix up before I even can get fitted for a belt. Since a hernia never heals on its own I just want to get it over with and not have to worry about it.
I know 67 is pretty old already but I wouldn't want to have to deal with an operation like that when I'm 80 I do want to make it that far because then I get just ski free on the local mountain LOL
In the meantime I've learned that the robot operation will actually cut down the recovery time drastically.
I suppose robots never have bad days unless they hacked by the Russians of course. I sure don't want to drag this on like some people do wearing a belt for 5 years instead of doing a procedure that will set you back for a few weeks.

Mikey P

Administrator
My cabin fix it guy just had a double hernia surgery performed yesterday hopefully I can get back to work on Monday,

but I expected to take 3 weeks..

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
It was several months later, but it is a little unsettling! He removed my gall bladder absolutely pain free. He also removed my kids gall bladder 3 weeks after mine. Then some months later they told us what happened😳 Shock!

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Has anybody here been operated on by a robot? I hear that the robotic surgery cuts down the recovery time by the whole lot
Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Mine ended up being bilateral so they did them both 2 days ago. I had laproscopic so will be out of the game considerably longer than you. On the upside I’m getting great care from my wife.

you know your from a small town when the lady that admits you owns the car wash you dump at and the anesthesiologist is a client.

Reactions: gimmeagig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom