Oh what a T&G nightmare

Jamesh921

Name
James
We've got about 2000 sf of T&G to clean in the locker/shower/sauna/whirlpool rooms of a VERY upscale gated community center. Light-grey colored grout is VERY dirty.

First tried Cobb's Powermax with no results.
Next, tried Bullseye's Cold Water Stripper - no improvement.
Third, tried paint thinner thinking that someone may have put an oil-based wax on it - no results.

There seems to be some kind of sealer on the grout lines that you can scrape off. It comes off in flakes, but all the scrubbing in the world won't budge it. These are 6"x6" tiles, so that means LOTS of grout lines.

If this is a sealer, why won't it release the dirt? We thought maybe someone sealed the grout after it was dirty. Or, maybe someone sealed it and allowed traffic in before it was fully cured. Don't really know for sure, but this stuff (whatever it is) is extremely hard to remove. We did have some "limited success" using a hand tool @ 1200 psi. But it still isn't acceptable. And I sure don't want to hand-scrape 2000 sf of grout lines on 6x6 tiles

This is a very lucrative job that we want to be the "hero" on. So, if this coating is actually a sealer, what will break it down so it can be removed?

If it's not a sealer, what could it be and what would remove it?

Thanks,
james

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
If you can you need to find out from staff/ janiortial company exactly what has been used on the tile and grout. Out customers want us to be master cleaners.. not mind readers.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Sween,
Maintenance Supervisor AND Maintenance personel have changed several times. No one knows what has been applied to the floor (no records = bad communication) so we're left in the dark. It's like cleaning an apt or a rent house - no one there who knows what THAT stain might be.

James

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I get that. Just couldn't tell from your first post that you had asked.

A Couple of tests you could try: Try a tile and grout acid side cleaner on one area just to see if it will etch out.

You might try this product. It tends to work for us when other strippers will not.

http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Profe ... ipper.html

We also like Stonetech's acid: Restore if you are curious about a good acid side cleaner.

Mikey P

Administrator
Sounds like you got a lacquer finish on the floor.

Take some Jasco or Glaze N Seal gel based paint stripper and paint it on thick over one square foot, give it 20 minutes then put on your Haz Mat suit on and clean it off.

Now decide how $ much you'll need to do that 1999 more times.

tim

Stripeze is what mike suggested, a gel based paint stripper. I have only had to use it once, when nothing else would work.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Thanks guys,
We've got Stonetech's product and Jasco's product to try next. Will let you know how it works out. I THINK we're going back next monday, but not sure. Thanks for the advice.

James

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
with the stripper and other chems you have used, has any of the "sealer" turned milky,cloudy or white?

this info would help.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Nope. If it had turned milky white I would have figured it was wax right away.

Some of the flakes I was able to scrape up looked kind of transparent but mirky (brownish). Kinda reminded me of dirty laquer or stain/polyeurethane.

James

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Had a simular problem in a restraunt kitchen .....that I turned down. 6 inch red quarry tile....had to scrape out the grout line to even see daylite. I assume it was grease mixed with some type of sealer, and years of poor maintainence. I tried every thing out there and nothing would disolve this gunk. I told them I would clean it if they would hire someone to come in a scrape every inch of the grout crap. It also would have to be regrouted to bring the grout level back up to the tile, which is the only way to keep it clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom