Oil filter questions???

Name
Nate W.
Does it really matter if I use a Kawasaki oil filter or a Fram oil filter on my tm? My engine on my tm is a Kawasaki water-cooled. Is there really a difference in oil filters? I guess this is geared more towards the tm manufactures. As long as it fits and threads on, is it ok?

I know it's only a couple dollars difference in price, but I'm curious George (not like that Brian R.)
:lol:

ascrubabove

If you use the Kawasaki part # and cross ref. to the fram/purolator/ac delco # then it should be fine, there are different size filters that will screw on but may not be to spec.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Cross any filter at your local Fleetpride and get a better quality BALDWIN filter for 1/3 the price. I can usually buy 4 Baldwin filters for what I pay for one at Napa

Jimbo

Napa Gold or Wix...don't buy junk, Grasshopper

And synthetic oil...Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 or Walmart Supet-Tech synthetic.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
valvoline

and if you change them often enough, there cant really be junk out there....can there??

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
humm gives you something to think about....

but then again so do the guys saying they ran fine with them..
somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Yes there is a difference between filters. Cheaper ones may use less filter media, use a cheap bypass that will fail early, use cheap backflow preventer that will fail early, or even skip backflow prevention. Don't know about how this would affect your truckmount engine, but on many cars an absence of this feature lets the top end of the engine run dry until oil circulates back up from the pan.

Wix and Baldwin make a lot of filters that carry other names (maybe even Kawasaki) but only put their name on their higher grade. Purolater and Champion make different qualities for private labeling. "Purolater Gold" is the best Purolater and K&N is the best Champion.

If you gotta buy Fram at least get the extra guard model, it's a little better than the rest of their line.

Mobil 1 filters are unique, but you'd probably have to order them.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
bob vawter said:
you guys DO fill the filters wit oil....
BEFORE you screw them on right???

Ivebeensold Umm, Of course I do. Doesn’t everyone?

Would you mind telling everyone why that’s a good idea Bob?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ACE said:
bob vawter said:
you guys DO fill the filters wit oil....
BEFORE you screw them on right???

Ivebeensold Umm, Of course I do. Doesn’t everyone?

Would you mind telling everyone why that’s a good idea Bob?

if the filter is straight up you can fill it up all the way...
if it's sideways jus put what you can in before screwin' it on....
those first two or three seconds with no oil pressure are hard on ANY engine...even a lawn mower motor! !gotcha!

OH YEA.....you guys DO put oil on the rubber seal BEFORE you screw it on...RIGHT?
It lets the filter turn on the rubber INSTEAD of jus ripping it off!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i do grease the ring 1st

never filled them up though....most of mine on the buffers, are of the sideways variety, and its a bitch to get my hand in there anyway, and i always make a mess :x :x :x :x :x :x

but on the upright i will start that..thanks

ascrubabove

AshleyMckendree said:
Cross any filter at your local Fleetpride and get a better quality BALDWIN filter for 1/3 the price. I can usually buy 4 Baldwin filters for what I pay for one at Napa

I like baldwin filters, they got just about everything

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
anything OTHER than AC filters......
AC filters are a premium type filter and they are
(much lik many people here)
WRAPPED too tight........
i ruined a good motor once using AC because it took so long to fill.....

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I changed a couple Kohler filters and thought, There HAS to be a better way. That little kiddy filter screwed onto the side of the motor in a horrible-to-get-to spot was a pain, plus it was expensive for a filter.

I put on a remote oil filter assembly and now mount my filter on the front of the machine. Had to have my own hoses made for it, the ones that came with the kit were crap. The filter is now easy to get to, easy on, easy off. Besides that, I put on a full size PH8A filter. Been using the FRam Extra Guard or a Hastings.

Last time I mentioned this someone mentioned about oil pressure. I found out the messy way that pressure isn't a prob. WHen I took off one filter the gasket stayed behind. So when I screwed on the new filter, prefilling with oil and oiling the gasket, and fired it up for a test the oil sprayed 5ft up the side of the box. Good thing for Oil Gator to clean it up. Sure makes you move fast!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom