Old Coke spill

CapeCleaner

A real estate agent for whom I do work just called to book a carpet cleaning. In addition to the regular cleaning, the homeowner found an old Coke spill (at least she's pretty sure it's Coke) in her son's room when they moved a sofa and small rug. The rest of the carpet is in good shape. No idea how long it's been there, whether the kid tried to clean it with anything, or even what type of fiber. The real estate agent said it's about 2'x2'

So, with all that helpful information, what suggestions do you guys have to remove this spot?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It should be easy. I would Just pre-spray with surfactant and extract. You could use a spot claw if your worried about it wicking up, but most of the time soda spills don’t wick up to bad. If that dosen't work try some peroxide.

Chris A

Name
Chris
your pre-spray should do it, especially with an extra minute or two of dwell, if stain persists, leave urine stain remover (peroxide) or stain magic.

CapeCleaner

diamond brian said:
You've been at this 3 years now?
Yup, and this is my first probable old Coke spill hidden under a rug for an unknown amount of time without knowing if an attempt was made to clean the spill or the type of carpet fiber on which the drink was spilled. Taking that into account, I thought it prudent to seek input from others to ensure I was prepared to do the best possible job in removing it.

And your approach to remove the spot would be what?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Any prespray should work on coke, but if you think there is a posibility of alot in the pad, use a spot claw and deep extract the are then clean as normal. Really nothing to it.

diamond brian

CapeCleaner said:
diamond brian said:
You've been at this 3 years now?
Yup, and this is my first probable old Coke spill hidden under a rug for an unknown amount of time without knowing if an attempt was made to clean the spill or the type of carpet fiber on which the drink was spilled. Taking that into account, I thought it prudent to seek input from others to ensure I was prepared to do the best possible job in removing it.

And your approach to remove the spot would be what?

Sorry, but I'm shocked that you haven't crossed a Coke spill in your 3 years of carpet cleaning--that's all. Are you sure it's not Pepsi? That's a whole different beast.

DevilDog

It will probably clean up pretty good with just your normal pre-spray.

You can also use a coffee stain remover (tannin remover)

For some reason a real good product to use on Coke stains is vinegar, works well.

tim

I just use a good prespray, put down heavy, allow good dwell time, and rinse, rinse, rinsie with high flow. Just to be sure of no wickback, spritz on a encapsulant, put an airmover on it, collect the check. Coke, no problem, now orange cough syrup vomit with numerous attempts by homeowner to clean...

CapeCleaner

Thanks for the input guys. I was planning to use tannin spotter but wanted to see if there were other ideas without tainting responses. My primary concern is the length of time the spill has been on the carpet -- might be as long as five years -- and not knowing what, if anything, may have been used in attempting to clean it.

Thanks again.

hogjowl

Idiot™
You worry too much. If it comes out, you're a hero. If it doesn't, it's because of "acid humidity".

If you'll wear your white lab coat, that last line will actually work.

susansmith

Try Argosheen. That seems to work for me. Do you remember years ago how the Coke build up would make the carpet look like linoleum in movie theatres. Just Argosheen and the cotton Argo mop would be all that we needed to get this looking like new.

steve r

spray n go and watch it disappear to never return.

prespray and regular cleaning may make it disappear but it will wick back no matter how much you flush it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom