Older version of RX-20

MOA

How does the older version of the Rx-20 work?( Like the one in the picture)
How does it compare to the rotovac, newer rx-20, and Prochem power glide?
Thanks for any input.

$_3.JPG

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It's worth $50 to me only because I have 1 guy that still uses one could use some of the parts. Other then that it is worthless.

MOA

Thank you very much for the input. I appreciate your time to answer a probably stupid question. A guy near me has one cheap- not quite $50 cheap but cheap. Again thanks for you time. I will avoid.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I just sold one for $250. That thing had cleaned milions of sq. feet of carpet without a problem. They work just like the new ones but slow. If you dont have a rotory then it will be a great way to get ito one cheap. It is worth every penny of $250 or so.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Try it before you give up on the idea. If you like it and its a steal I wouldn't pass on it.

All powerheads are slow but you have much less fatigue from cleaning. The only reason I would consider another unit might be weight. The older units are much heavier than new powerheads.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
That where I say bs it's all work I have an rx20 and rarely use it I also have a rotary dry master it sits to.

My 175 gets way more action.

There ain't nothing easy about them it's all work they may resurrect the dead better.

But they work different muscle so your biceps will feel it instead of your back.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We disagree Sam . The Rotovac XL is so lightweight it makes cleaning soiled traffic areas easy. You're also not tired from slinging the wand and it rinses far better than wand could do unless you spent some serious time crossing back and forth in all directions.

Personally if I had more than a room or two to clean, I'd cut it all in with the scrub wand and powerhead the rest. Even with old school powerheads Like the RX or Powerglide.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
To stay away from the age old discussion about rotaries ease of use or lack of.

If you buy a rotary (or any tool), get the best one that will do the best job and will feel most comfortable to you.
You'll be using it a lot and it will more than pay for itself in a few days or a week.

Saving money on an everyday tool is penny wise.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mikey P

Administrator
While no scrub and wand method will ever out clean any RE, using one is a pita, its slow, you still need to wand edges, transitions and corners, the fear of seam damage is always present and if you have a conscience and put a clear tube on the RE and work it until moisture stops coming up, you better be getting top dollar.

I'ts necessary evil but I hate them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have 5-6 of the old dog PowerGlides. Nice tool built very solid will last forever. They do a fantastic job of cleaning. Smoke just pours out from underneath and it flushes like a son of a gun. but heavy. So heavy the guys will would harder with a scrub wand rather than pull it off the truck.

With the Rotovac they still leave it on the truck until they are unhappy with the results from the wand, so they whip it out to restore impacted areas. They frequently come back with stories or will text me a photo of how it really made a difference in the final product. It's lighter so they use it when they have to.

Me being long in the tooth, enjoy using it when I clean.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've kept our first generation RX-20 but use it rarely and it never leaves the shop. We use it on rugs that are heavily impacted but can't take the agitation of the faster models. I have heard the old ones work pretty well as top-dry extractor due to their weight and low spin rate.

If you can't afford a newer one the old version still might improve your cleaning capability enough to pay for a newer model down the road.

Ours doesn't have that box on top of the motor though. What is that?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have heard the old ones work pretty well as top-dry extractor due to their weight and low spin rate.
You're right, prior to Curt Bolden inventing the Xtreme Xtractor Chuck Dewald was using the old RX-20's for extraction in his classes. It did a decent job, although I think the WET study didn't like the torque on wet backings???

Now there are also better tools like the Xtreme Xtractor and the Rover for extraction.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Thank you very much for the input. I appreciate your time to answer a probably stupid question. A guy near me has one cheap- not quite $50 cheap but cheap. Again thanks for you time. I will avoid.

Hold on here!

I have four of these units! One has lasted me over 20 years! And I bought it used! These things are rebuildable, and will last you forever. If you have a smaller truckmount, the higher speed RX's, we found, go too fast for proper extraction. This type of RX is much lighter than the Prochem Powerglide, and much easier to work on! They come off the truck on almost every job! Sure you have to cut the edges, but shouldn't you anyway? The slower RPM really helps on drying the carpet, especially with glides!

I really don't see how much of a pain they are to work on. They are really quite easy to operate and use! $400 should be your top dollar!

Shawn "Not a Girly-Man" Abbey

Reactions: Foothills Phil

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Thanks for any input.

$_3.JPG

Same one I have and ocationally use. Mine is PC blue. It was labeled and marketed by ProChem. Bought it 15 years ago from J.Pem, and it was used. Sure it's slow, but I only use it for impacted rat nastys. Mine does have holed glides, though.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Thanks for any input.

$_3.JPG
By the way..... take a look at the hub on the starwheel... That's a metal hub! The new ones are made out of a tough plastic. This unit is not worthless by any means! These babies will still make you money!

Name
Nate W.
By the way..... take a look at the hub on the starwheel... That's a metal hub! The new ones are made out of a tough plastic. This unit is not worthless by any means! These babies will still make you money!

As long as the arms are all straight... We loaned our RX20 to a cleaner, only to have it brought back with a bent arm... He paid for a replacement arm, but it was never the same... I bought another head for it...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom