On Site Area Rug Cleaning?

Jay D

Name
Jay D
How many of you clean rugs at the clients house? I have had lots of requests to clean all these lowes type rugs. I do not like doing them. These are not the quality wool rugs I like to take and clean at the shop, But to these ladies the rug fits their decor. They are mostly olefin with a cotton base yarn. I lower pressure under 400psi, prespray light, single wet pass and multiple dry pass and fans to speed dry. I have a problem that They have a tendency to curl up at the edges and sometimes DO NOT flatten back down. How do you avoid this other then telling them no I can't clean them, how do you prevent the curling up? Should I start bonnet cleaning them? How does everyone clean these and am I the only one having this happen to them?

Thank you

P.S. I know this is surface cleaning compared to in plant cleaning for quality rugs. I am looking for a solution to these VALUE priced rugs that seem to flock towards me every week. thanks. :mrgreen:

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
No, you are not the only person. I generally decline doing them, but will do them at their own risk. They pay me either way. They will usually pass on cleaning them.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Jay DeLaughter said:
How many of you clean rugs at the clients house? I have had lots of requests to clean all these lowes type rugs. I do not like doing them. These are not the quality wool rugs I like to take and clean at the shop, But to these ladies the rug fits their decor. They are mostly olefin with a cotton base yarn. I lower pressure under 400psi, prespray light, single wet pass and multiple dry pass and fans to speed dry. I have a problem that They have a tendency to curl up at the edges and sometimes DO NOT flatten back down. How do you avoid this other then telling them no I can't clean them, how do you prevent the curling up? Should I start bonnet cleaning them? How does everyone clean these and am I the only one having this happen to them?

Thank you

P.S. I know this is surface cleaning compared to in plant cleaning for quality rugs. I am looking for a solution to these VALUE priced rugs that seem to flock towards me every week. thanks. :mrgreen:

I have cleaned a few thousand rugs in clients homes. Your method is a good one. Rarely does a rug buckle up and not flatten down. If you are really concerned about one, maybe a thin rug, precondition with a mist from your trigger sprayer (I use two at a time) buff it with a cotton bonnet, and rinse with just the mist from your wand and vac thoroughly.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Sometimes after the above procedure, drying them upside down on a clean surface will stop that.

I had one that kept culing and I recleaned it, placed it upside down on clients sheet she had laid out and it died perfect.

Otherwise, if I see it starting to happen, sometimes, a chair leg on a tab will be sufficient to correct it.

John

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
John Middleton said:
Sometimes after the above procedure, drying them upside down on a clean surface will stop that.

I had one that kept culing and I recleaned it, placed it upside down on clients sheet she had laid out and it died perfect.

Otherwise, if I see it starting to happen, sometimes, a chair leg on a tab will be sufficient to correct it.

John

John, do you have many that curl up and die perfect :?: :lol:

I also have dried these rugs upside down to help prevent the curling on edges and corners.

Make sure the drying surface is clean before you put the rug on it.

Ooroo,

:roll:

Chads

Supportive Member
I was going to mention drying them upside down and if that is still haveing issueshave them roll the rug up backwards for about a hour while its drying and put in the sun, just make sure you have got it fairly dry in the first place not over wetting it.

Al

We do all area rugs on location, I don't have room to clean them at our home shop . I have done this since I started the business and never had a problem. We cover the wood floors around the rug for protection.

We use different methods but one method that works well on a lot of rugs is, after vaccing we pre spray with a safe product for that particular rug then scrub it with the "ALMEX" also known as Electrolux Shampooer.
Then we lightly rince and then speed dry the rug, if we have to work on fringe we put protection below, clean it then force dry.
If there are any curling issues we correct them while we are present. Only problem I ever had was a sissle rug that wouldn't lay flat on the edges, the client called back and I went out with a steam iron and towel and fixed it.

We promote the in home method and many people like it better than having to have rugs removed and returned.

8)

Rex Tyus

Jay DeLaughter said:
How many of you clean rugs at the clients house? I have had lots of requests to clean all these lowes type rugs.....

DAILY. No offense but this really is a no brainer. I can't imagine telling someone their rug is too cheap for me to make a few hundred bucks off of them, therefore I am unwilling to do anything for them. You can sugar coat it all you want but that is what the customer will hear.

TimP

I clean them like carpet. It don't cost much to do a small 5x9 or 8x10 rug or whatever sizes they come in. Especially since you're already set up and in the house it's just like another room of carpet....

Plus most here just have olefin rugs and a few wool rugs but not a whole lot. I did turn down one rug cause I didn't want to screw it up and it looked expensive.

Rex Tyus

TimP said:
I clean them like carpet. It don't cost much to do a small 5x9 or 8x10 rug or whatever sizes they come in. Especially since you're already set up and in the house it's just like another room of carpet....

Plus most here just have olefin rugs and a few wool rugs but not a whole lot. I did turn down one rug cause I didn't want to screw it up and it looked expensive.

EXACTLY. I turn down the investment grade rugs. NOT the cheap ones. Hell even I can clean the Lowe's rugs. :mrgreen:

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I clean them. The curling is the largest concern I have in cleaning them. They clean up real simple other then that. I just hate suggesting it might happen to there rug and sure enough it does. I always prequalify this possibly happening. I was just looking for a way to eliminate or avoid this problem with these rugs. I never tell them there rug is too cheap. Most of them have shopped to find specific styles and colors. And some of these rugs are more costly then i could pay for one.

TimP

I never had anyone complain about curling on these cheap rugs....but I don't stay around till they dry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom