One man or two man crew?

T

Tony Reyes

For those who run more than one truck have you found is it more strategic to send out 1 man or 2 men in a single truck? Any advantages to 1 man "crew" over 2 man crew? Thanks.

Anthony Reyes
Healthy Home Carpet Cleaning

Luke

I believe one man with a truck mount is the most profitable scenario.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
For us 2 men works best~ far more production can be accomplished in a day and our commission amount is fixed, the only addition cost is benefits for the second person. We have found on average about a 40% increase in production at a cost of less than 5% more.

Mike Draper

Ken Snow said:
For us 2 men works best~ far more production can be accomplished in a day and our commission amount is fixed, the only addition cost is benefits for the second person. We have found on average about a 40% increase in production at a cost of less than 5% more.

I agree with Ken, We'll never work alone.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm not a multi-truck biz
just a one truck BD with two full time Little Genies that do a lot of things

but more often than not, we run 2 man crews .
The exception is when just a couple/three small empties are on the day's schedule.
but always two men on res

Procedures have to be choreographed to get max efficiency with two men .
Once that's in order, the productivity gains in a day far out weight the additional costs

not to mention the other benefits;

it's safer for the crew
Not just the being robbed scenario, but also less likely some whacked out teenager or woman will accuse anyone of impropriety

it's safer for the custy .
generally puts them at ease with two men working compared to one crEEpy close talker
also less concern for her about moving and replacing her antique marble top sofa table

One of the biggies...it's easier to maintain quality on a long hot day cause one man doesn't carry whole load all day by himself

generally a better work environment cause you have someone to BS with.
(that's an intangible I also believe helps maintain quality)
also a second head to think through any on the job problem solving solutions

i could think of more, but the biggies are increased productivity and maintaining quality throughout the day

..L.T.A.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
meAt said:

The exception is when just a couple/three small empties are on the day's schedule.

Once that's in order, the productivity gains in a day far out weight the additional costs

it's safer for the crew
Not just the being robbed scenario, but also less likely some whacked out teenager or woman will accuse anyone of impropriety

generally puts them at ease with two men working compared to one crEEpy close talker
also less concern for her about moving and replacing her antique marble top sofa table

One of the biggies...it's easier to maintain quality on a long hot day cause one man doesn't carry whole load all day by himself

i could think of more, but the biggies are increased productivity and maintaining quality throughout the day

..L.T.A.

"GEt Out of My heaD...!!!"

Lar...is dead-ON... :lol:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I also agree with Larry totally. Also, you will be way less tired at the end of the day. And you will not have that urge to take that little short cut cuz your ass is toast at the end of the day. I've done both on a few occassions and last time I had to let my tech go we had scheduled 2+ weeks out with the intentions of having 2 techs, after I let him go I worked my ass off for the next 2.5 weeks with "0" time for interviewing

I used to only use the helper in my commercial work however I experimented with tech on residential and to my surprise I could cut over an hour off of a big job and 30 minutes or more from a smaller job easy. So for me it was a no brainer to run with help, also you have the conviencey to have more time to keep an eye on your equipment etc.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you're able to schedule 2 more jobs a day then go with the 2 man crew.

A guy with a helper should be able to do 2 more a day.
2 Techs should be able to do at least 3 more jobs a day depending on size of course.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
BLewis said:
I also agree with Larry totally. Also, you will be way less tired at the end of the day. And you will not have that urge to take that little short cut cuz your ass is toast at the end of the day.

and just think, Billy, WE'RE the OWNERS!!!
if we're honest, even WE can let quality slip at times near the end of a long hot day
NO ONE is a 100% ALL the time.. (if they're busy anyway)

just think how much more that effects someone that has NOTHING invested in the operation.... :shock:

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
HARPER said:
meAt said:

it's safer for the crew

..L.T.A.

"GEt Out of My heaD...!!!"

Lar...is dead-ON... :lol:

one crEEpy close talker

LMAO!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
meAt said:
BLewis said:
I also agree with Larry totally. Also, you will be way less tired at the end of the day. And you will not have that urge to take that little short cut cuz your ass is toast at the end of the day.

and just think, Billy, WE'RE the OWNERS!!!
if we're honest, even WE can let quality slip at times near the end of a long hot day
NO ONE is a 100% ALL the time.. (if they're busy anyway)

just think how much more that effects someone that has NOTHING invested in the operation.... :shock:

..L.T.A.

That's where a little endurance training comes in. Working alone you should have as much energy beginning your 4 PM job as your 8 AM job. Don't let a little fatigue dictate how you operate. Fresh clothes and a protein drink can do wonders on a long hot day. I make more money working alone then I ever did having a helper. Sending out a crew might be a different story because you want to maximize the gross per truck, but if you could find a highly motivated efficient single worker it might work better to have him on a truck alone while you work with your truck.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Art Kelley said:
but if you could find a highly motivated efficient single worker it might work better to have him on a truck alone while you work with your truck.

I'm not suggesting one man crews don't or can't work, Art.
Just why "I" think two men crews are better and more productive ...especially in res where moving some or most furniture is part of the program

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Moving furniture rarely necessitates two men. I do it all day long, generally flipping large sofas and chairs forward instead of sliding them. I did explode a large marble coffee table that had a weak leg last spring. Felt like a dick.

Bjorn

Simple you have to have MORE than enough work to support one or even a extra two man crew

Now I'm not just talking your booked now for a few weeks out either

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Odin said:
Simple you have to have MORE than enough work to support one or even a extra two man crew

Now I'm not just talking your booked now for a few weeks out either

Maybe in your neck of the woods that happens T, I'm not fammiliar with it. I do agree you have to have enough work to keep the truck busy with 2, that is a given.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Two person crew for us. I am an owner/operator and since hiring my daughter as a full time tech, we can keep up with the schedule. I am definately more productive and do make more money. Once you get a system down, you also get real spoiled on the days your help is not available.

There are days we also show up on the same job sites with 2 vans and pop things out even quicker to keep schedule. Customers are very pleased with our productivity and being in and out quicker so they can get back to their daily events.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I know I'm sure spoiled after have a helper.

He sets up while I talk to the client. Then he pre-scrubs/spots and moves furniture while in clean. Then tears down while I collect check and discuss after care and referral system.

He allows me to make more than enough more money to offset his pay.

Wish I did this years ago.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am back to working alone since about last September....and I am much happier again...less headaches....more money...and to be honest...I really did not gain that much by having someone to trip over......organization and efficiency is the key to a less stressful productive day.......

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Jim Martin said:
I am back to working alone since about last September....and I am much happier again...less headaches....more money...and to be honest...I really did not gain that much by having someone to trip over......organization and efficiency is the key to a less stressful productive day.......

Jim
2 people working as a well oiled machine should be able to produce $200-400 more revenue per day in my opinion & experience. As Terry said the work has to be there to make it work or it is just more cost for the same dollars.

If you had headaches Jim, I suspect you didn't have a high quality assistant tech with you. Tripping over each other should never happen after the first few days of training/working together.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
One other advantage of two people on a crew is you have a built-in succession plan when someone quits. And they will.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS One problem with an assistant to an owner-operator is most really sharp people are not going to be content to stay as a go-fer long term. So if you have a quality employee be prepared to give them their own truck or lose them.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
what works for some...just may not be in the cards to work for others....there really is no right or wrong..it is how you have chosen to structure your company........I can think of a number of reasons as to why it was just not a good fit for me....but that is not saying that one day it might work out to where I will be forced to try it again...but looking back at what it cost me....the headaches that accrued with it...and what I really gained in the bottom line by doing it.....I am in no rush to hit that cross road again.....I am happy just it being me.......

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Steve Toburen said:
PS One problem with an assistant to an owner-operator is most really sharp people are not going to be content to stay as a go-fer long term. So if you have a quality employee be prepared to give them their own truck or lose them.

to add or segway to what Steve said...

the biggest challenge is for the owner/op
he has the "no one can do it as good as me" syndrome
AND it's quite possible he's correct.
However, we make great CC'ers, but often less than great trainers/instructors and/or businessmen

Frustration in the reality that not all people are created equal, nor born with great common sense, turns the prospective wingman into nothing more than a "hose monkey" and gofer and the learning/training stops

as an aside, I still can't watch the Little Genies run the wand without wanting to grab it myself.
NOT because I think they're doing something wrong, but simply cause I think "I" can always "do it better"..... 8)

I shared this story before, but it was music to my ears when it happened.
I was pulling the wand and turned to Cody and said,

"I'M THE GREATEST CC'ER EVER !!"

he said,

"no you're not, I AM!!"

it just gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over

..L.T.A.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Jim Martin said:
.....I am happy just it being me.......
And THAT is what it is all about. Congratulations.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I used to open every Wednesday of SFS with a quote from Bob Dylan: "If a man gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between he gets to do what he wants to do then he is a success." Works for me.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
meAt said:
Steve Toburen said:

to add or segway to what Steve said...

the biggest challenge is for the owner/op
he has the "no one can do it as good as me" syndrome
AND it's quite possible he's correct.
However, we make great CC'ers, but often less than great trainers/instructors and/or businessmen ...
..L.T.A.
Exactly. It is good to be "obsessive/compulsive" UP TO A POINT. Beyond that all it is going to do is limit your growth- both financially and lifestyle wise.

For what it's worth,

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS One of my favorite quotes that I think I originally came up with is, "Perfection is 'sufficient for it's intended purpose'." Those owner-operators who really want to get off of the truck but can't seem to let go of the wand would be well-advised to think of this concepts when it comes to delegating to employees.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I had a teen that was a friend of my daughter working with me. We would dual vac or he would vac, then I'd prespray and he'd follow behind with the scrubber, then I'd start rinsing. He was a little slow at getting things moved back and tabbed, but it saved an hour or more on jobs.

I've been working with another cleaner as well. He has me go out on jobs with him as he has a bad shoulder. The beauty is there are two owner/operators on the job, so he doesn't have to tell me what to do, its done before he knows to ask. Jobs go really quickly. We both clean the same way, yes, he even vacs like I do. If anything he is more meticulous than I am. We make a good team, sort or iron sharpening iron.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
One or two per truck? Either, both, sometimes, can all work in different circumstances.

To address the original question (not whether an o/o likes having a helper) the biggest advantage of one tech per truck is higher profitability. You need to hire good people, train them well and pay them well enough to keep them.

Two techs per truck can work better for a particular type of cleaning service, just think carefully about why you're doing it. Two paychecks per truck is an expensive way to hide poor employment practices.

Becker

Name
Becker
For me at the moment, I would rather give one guy a full day than a short day for 2 guys.. Meaning the 2nd van has limited work.

For large comm I always have 2 men.

A hose puller shortens one comm job I have by 4 hours. Nearly cutting it by the 3rd.

But most res jobs, I feel the 2nd guy would get in the way.. Not all.. But most..

Not to mention a commute time is paid double with a 2 man crew, or down time between jobs..

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Something else not mentioned here. I can keep a helper busy all summer long but when winter hits there isn't enough work to keep me busy. So I have to let them go and they usually find another job before I get busy again in April or May. And I'm usually tired of that person anyway so no big loss. this isn't just my company as I used to work for SS and they go from 13 trucks in the summer down to 1 truck in the winter. Any suggestions on how to get more winter work? Steve? Yes I do wdr.but haven't started marketing it heavy yet.

KevinL said:
Something else not mentioned here. I can keep a helper busy all summer long but when winter hits there isn't enough work to keep me busy. So I have to let them go and they usually find another job before I get busy again in April or May. And I'm usually tired of that person anyway so no big loss. this isn't just my company as I used to work for SS and they go from 13 trucks in the summer down to 1 truck in the winter. Any suggestions on how to get more winter work? Steve? Yes I do wdr.but haven't started marketing it heavy yet.

Maybe you should take the potential loss to keep a good employee.

If things are slow, let him/her do some sales for you.

Sometimes they will be happy making something rather than nothing.

Call your customer list to pick up some work in the winter.

Let them do work around the house.

There are lots of things to do.

I think the smart thing is to put back some money when times are good to cover the slower times.

If you have a good employee, the potential money you might lose is worth it for the future growth of your company.

Thankfully for me we have a nice steady flow of good jobs.

If things did slow down, I would pay him to do sales, but he can run a truck, so really I should be doing the sales.

It takes a lot of time and effort to train someone. There is no sense in letting them go because you are going to have to pay them in slow times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom