one part leather cleaner.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've cleaned hundreds of sofas with Chemspec's Leather Cleaner And Conditioner and have never had a problem.

Great results and happy clients.

I know many of you snobs will claim that it dries out the essential oils and disrespect the KowKarma but I have never had a call back and I've cleaned some pieces 3 or more times with years between cleanings and have not seen a issue yet.

I ran out of Chemspec's stuff so I got a quart of Master Blends version.

Wadya think?

Andya

Sounds like you're doing OK. You can't clean natural oils out of leather so you don't need to worry about that. We regard Chemspecs cleaner as an average cleaner probably not what you would turn to to resolve problems but good for general use and maintenance cleaning. A good quality leather protector applied after use might give your customer better years of wear.
The best way to keep leather clean is not to let it get dirty, sell your customers some maintenance product like Lazy Leather for in between cleaning (5 minutes work on contact areas) and this will also make your job easier the next time you call.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I have happy customers and get great results with my Porty. Of course I've never used a TM let a;one a V.

For starters, make sure that your cleaner of choice is at least acidic.

Roger Koh

Hey! I have the same experience with great results and happy clients too!
That was from the 80’s when I was the Chemspec’s distributors for the Far East (my respect to Robert Hughes).
It’s still the original formula I think, unlike the “real thing” the disappointed coke (sugar water now)!

During that time for two decades I never know that leather has essential oil, sounds ridiculous then!
Yea I was blind too not looking at the seams and needle holes for build-up residues, even oblivious to coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles that accentuated, streaks that brighten the finish were just carelessness on my part.

Who cares about the pH value either the leather itself or the product we use?
Who cares about the solvency in the product that dries out the plasticizers too besides the fatliquor?
As long as I can’t see the problem, I don’t except my customer to know it was even there!

So often time, I parted with a cup of wine a hand shake and money in my pocket, and I would be called to repeat my obliviousness over again with no mercy to the leather!

Until the discovery of Genesis 3: 21 (KJV) that change my mindset about leather, now I clean every leather piece with respect regardless of its owner!

It may sound strange to you!

Leather is a blood sacrifice, and it is the last item that I will abuse consciously or throw it out without a cause!

How about you?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
This dude and DooDaddy are gonna get along famously.

You may have a point there, Marty - although they are quite different in many ways, they are also both quite creative and have actually produced stuff which is a whole lot more than can be said for just throwing rocks around the boards.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I know many of you snobs will claim that it dries out the essential oils and disrespect the KowKarma...

So often time, I parted with a cup of wine a hand shake and money in my pocket, and I would be called to repeat my obliviousness over again with no mercy to the leather!

As Flounder said in Animal House, "This is GREAT!" :mrgreen:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Crikey Roger :shock:

I had never heard of that verse thingy you said........... Genesis 3: 21 (KJV)

I is completely ignorant of all of that stuff, but even I could see what you was talking about, once I looked it up. :wink: :mrgreen:

Mikey, how did that job go and have you changed your perspective on leather care since last year :?:

Oh yeah, one other thing Roger, I also used to use Chemspec leather products, matter of fact, I still have the manual with the leather swatches in it stuck in my shed somewhere. :)

That was before I heard about Leather Master, Fenice, Pelle, Leatherique and now, so many others.

Ooroo,

:roll:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Leather cleaning and maintenance has been an eye opening experience for the very few that have delved into it.
Leather now constitutes over 30% of all furniture but the care of it is an extremely new trade and I believe that there is much to learn.

Those of us that are tackling this huge untapped market along with the few manufacturers of leather care products are in the same place as those in the very early days of carpet cleaning with shampoo which often did more damage than good to both the carpet and the industry.

Here's another eye-opening event in Peter's life which may be of interest to both Shorty and the vegan Mikey.

It was while he was staying at Simon the tanner's house (Acts 10:5-6) that God gave Peter a vision of "unclean" animals:
"Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour [i.e. noon, as reckoned from 12 hours of daylight]. And he became hungry and desired something to eat; but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heaven opened, and something descending, like a great sheet, let down by four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat."
"But Peter said, "No, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean."
"And the voice came to him again a second time, "What God has cleansed, you must not call common."

The vast majority of carpet cleaners have never thought about or attempted to partake of this huge new market that is spread before us.
It is a natural, long lasting and recycled product with a bright future.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've gone through a few quarts of Masterblend's cleaner and conditioner and it kicks ass on painted leather.

Nice smell and leaves the cow oh so buttery.

two teets up!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I use Black Magic leather cleaner and conditioner ................found at your favorite auto parts store.

Hey! I have the same experience with great results and happy clients too!
That was from the 80’s when I was the Chemspec’s distributors for the Far East (my respect to Robert Hughes).
It’s still the original formula I think, unlike the “real thing” the disappointed coke (sugar water now)!

During that time for two decades I never know that leather has essential oil, sounds ridiculous then!
Yea I was blind too not looking at the seams and needle holes for build-up residues, even oblivious to coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles that accentuated, streaks that brighten the finish were just carelessness on my part.

Who cares about the pH value either the leather itself or the product we use?
Who cares about the solvency in the product that dries out the plasticizers too besides the fatliquor?
As long as I can’t see the problem, I don’t except my customer to know it was even there!

Until the discovery of Genesis 3: 21 (KJV) that change my mindset about leather, now I clean every leather piece with respect regardless of its owner!

It may sound strange to you!

Leather is a blood sacrifice, and it is the last item that I will abuse consciously or throw it out without a cause!

Gen 3 21 " The Lord made garments of skins for Adam and his wife and clothed them."

Yes, God covered them with skins. Leather. prob. with fur on it to keep them warm but basically leather.

Yes, God shed blood to cover but not take away their sins.

Yet, God did not say every time you kill an animal for food or fuel it is a blood offering.

sometimes its you want hamburger or mutton.

it's a stretch to say all leather is a blood offering roger.

you have respect for the fact that the animal gave its life to make a burger or a couch.

I don't see it as a sacred thing. just life and death.

I would like to buy your products to restore my sectional.

don't really care to send in before and after pix.

can we do some biz?

best day ever

frankie Chocolate

visit my blog, "the carpet cleaner's crocodile."

How about you?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System.

Roger Koh

frankiechocolate said:
you have respect for the fact that the animal gave its life to make a burger or a couch.

frankie Chocolate

----------

Leather is a fabric that blood once flow through, unlike all other fabric.

Other fabric are homogeneous, but leather is protein fiber with other chemistry component which convert the rawhide into leather that include the main component of tanning agents and the fatliquor.

So the basic idea is to clean the leather without weakening these chemistry constituents but restrengthening it and replenish the fatliquor as necessary - thus the leather-safe system (pH 3 - 5) that matches the average pH of leather.

A) Levels of Cleaning involve the following depending on the soiling severity:

1) To degrease - use d'Grease2.2

2) To prep Clean - use prepClean4.4 for all absorbent leathers including nubuck and suede and prepClean7.7 for pigmented leathers.

3) To precondition - use superClean4.9 or strongClean4.3.

4) To clean - use clean3.8.

5) To rinse - use rinse3.0.

B) Leather Structure Conditioning:

6) To hydrate dried leathers - use hydrator3.3.

7) To soften and strengthen leathers - use fatliquor5.0.

C) Surface Conditioning

8] To impart a non-stick buttery feel with a classic leather scent - use leatherScent'B, D for draggy, S for silky and W for a waxy feel.

Email me what you need.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®
info@leatherdoctor.org

Andya

Lets keep it simple!! Essentially leather care is very straightforward, the key is to identify exactly what you are dealing with and apply the correct cleaning methods and products. Also it is important to distinguish between what can be cleaned and what requires restoration, this is only possible by close analysis and inspection using the 5 step process
Visual
Touch
Scratch
Moisture
Microscope (30x - not a magnifying glass or l;inen tester as these do not show any detail)

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

'Coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essential to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
Protect from new (Ultra Protect)
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product (Lazy Leather)
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year (Strong Cleaner)

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather
Hope this helps

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
admiralclean said:
Good grief ... wipe it with Windex and buff it with a clean towel. :roll:

I've picked up a pretty penny or two thanks to people that have spilt Windex on their leather sofas.

The ammonia streaks the leather lovely. :shock:

Take the cushion home, strip it back, respray, add urethane, deliver, pick up easy money.

Chesterfields have been a steady source of income from this product over the years.

Ooroo,

:wink:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Marty, while that MAY be true in Pratville Alabama - there are many other parts of the world where leather is over 30% of the furniture market.

We have a steady stream of leather pieces in our shop, thanks to Luddites like you.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Andya said:
Lets keep it simple!! Essentially leather care is very straightforward, the key is to identify exactly what you are dealing with and apply the correct cleaning methods and products. Also it is important to distinguish between what can be cleaned and what requires restoration, this is only possible by close analysis and inspection using the 5 step process
Visual
Touch
Scratch
Moisture
Microscope (30x - not a magnifying glass or linen tester as these do not show any detail)

Hope this helps

Hi Andrew, I am not aware of a "Linen tester" can you tell us more about this item ?

Thanks Tony

hogjowl

Idiot™
Harold:

You know I worship you, but I have to say, all you are trying to do is build future business for your old age. (Which is only months away, by-the-way.)

You remind me of Terri and Ed Valentine. :shock:

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
Harold:

You know I worship you, but I have to say, all you are trying to do is build future business for your old age. (Which is only months away, by-the-way.)

You remind me of Terri and Ed Valentine. :shock:

That hurt - you horrid man.

I subscribe to a saying that will probably go right over your hed - "When you stop learning, you stop living".

roro

Name
Ross Craig
harryhides said:
I am not aware of a "Linen tester" can you tell us more about this item ?

Thanks Tony

A bit like a loupe but has lines on it so you can do a thread count - good for rug knot counting also.

Thought you would have one for checking your hotel bed sheets Tony :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom