OP machine out shines the 175 big time.

Mikey P

Administrator
At the Monkey Pad demo I asked Dana, the owner of Innovative Flooring Solutions if he had ever tried a OP type machine with his Diamond impregnated honing/polishing pads.
He had not but had often wondered about it.

Clark had two at his booth so I borrowed a 17" Defender for a demo on the 4 by 6 Marble floor IFS had set up.

Dana and his partner were both shocked to see and feel the difference the OP made.

Probably 70% quicker and a deeper shine as well. Because a OP does not slop/fling the water around, every thing happened much better. Dana said only the Marble specific Cimex machine worked better. $5G's for one of those compared to a $1900 Clark or a $2500 Hruby.

Between the ease of use of a Wheels Down OP and the almost idiot proof Monkey Pads, stone polishing will be a Stanley Steamer $29 a room special in no time.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Sounds like the weight of the machine might not be as important as it is with powders & diamonds?

Raedan

Gee thanks Mikey... :x
Mikey P said:
Between the ease of use of a Wheels Down OP and the almost idiot proof Monkey Pads, stone polishing will be a Stanley Steamer $29 a room special in no time

Greenie

That Dana dude has the most irritating email spam, I swore i was gonna choke the life from him if I ever met him, thankfully I changed email and the anger faded.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
probably works ok if the floor is still in good shape

the idea of diamond impreganted pad is not new, 3M has been making them for years

Tile Nerd

Mikey P said:
At the Monkey Pad demo I asked Dana, the owner of Innovative Flooring Solutions if he had ever tried a OP type machine with his Diamond impregnated honing/polishing pads.
He had not but had often wondered about it.

Clark had two at his booth so I borrowed a 17" Defender for a demo on the 4 by 6 Marble floor IFS had set up.

Dana and his partner were both shocked to see and feel the difference the OP made.

Probably 70% quicker and a deeper shine as well. Because a OP does not slop/fling the water around, every thing happened much better. Dana said only the Marble specific Cimex machine worked better. $5G's for one of those compared to a $1900 Clark or a $2500 Hruby.

Between the ease of use of a Wheels Down OP and the almost idiot proof Monkey Pads, stone polishing will be a Stanley Steamer $29 a room special in no time.

What grit pads did you use? How many passes?

Tile Nerd

How many passes per step?

BTW, I think those are Twister pads that they private labeled.

We've had success powder polishing with our 20" challenger. It didn't work with powder honing (not enough weight) but perhaps the Twister pads are a better option with OP for honing prior to polishing a floor that's lost it's pop. I wonder how it will work in the real world on floor with wear.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
with their method/demo they etched the marble with acid, you just get the floor wet with water and just one pass. The counter top was done with a right angle drill

the pads come in the series in one box

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Monkey pads sound interesting. They start at 200 grit which would cover a lot of situations. At the lower grits it may be that diamonds are more economical. Diamonds wear out faster in the higher grits, I think it's because their's more resin then diamonds at that point.

Regarding op, I'd be careful on a floor with installation problems (cracked, loose tiles, excessive lippage).

Albert

Mikey P

Administrator
Twister Pads need a chemical to make them work, Monkeys need only water.

About 1+ minute one the 2 by 4 area with the 175, 20- 30 seconds with the OP..

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mikey P said:

Says who???

the difference is that the twister pads have it bonded with a chemical about a 1/2" up and the monkey pads "supposdly" have it through out the pad...meaning they would have to put the diamonds in while the "slurry" for the pads is being made and formed..

like i said at the show....where the diamonds at??? holding the pad right you should be able to see the diamonds reflect in the light...at least a small twinkle...and yet nothing...because if it were in the slurry they would be on the out sides as well as "in the mix"..

as with all "demos" i wanna see the shit work in real life...then ill be impressed

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
also while i am thinking about it...

the 1500-2000 sqft usage sounds a bit light to me...

I have burnished thousands of sqft and the pads last a long time...before they shrink down

Bob Foster

Dana has been invited to join the board and we hope that he does and can reply to the questions. I will e-mail him now.

tilegirl1313

Monkey Pads Coverage

Monkey Pads Cover about 3000-5000 sq. ft. not 1500-3000. These pads are not meant to be used with any lippage. if there is minor lippage that is when you would get about 3,000 sq. ft.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mikey P said:

ya know, seeing how this was brought up again...

you never did answer the question about needing chemical for twisters???.....

and i still want to see the diamonds in the pads.....you can see them in the regular resin/metals when they start to fracture for cutting....so why not the monkeys???

as i know it the grit is the diamond size, so a lower grit should be a larger diamond (hence the dullness and cutting power)

just a few food for thought questions....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom