Opinion of Steamway Powermatic

Name
Scott
I am going to look at a Steamway Powermatic in a box truck this week. It has the diesel alternative fuel or heat source, whatever it is I never ran one of these machines before. Can you tell me how these machines are, reliable, heat, suction, to work on, etc.? Also is it a pain to fill up with diesel and gas, cost effectiveness? I am worried about my guys filling up and then walking into a customers house smelling like diesel. Any feedback would be great. I currently run a thermal wave and powermatic but there is nothing out there on the market and this seems to be the best deal.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
got rid of the powermatic that I had. was told you cannot find brushes for the generator anymore because the company that made them quit when steamway quit. also heard that parts were going to be hard to find for the machine.

I really miss it at times as the heat was outstanding imo!! It would be probably be easier to work on in a box truck. mine was in a van and was pretty cramped for room!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
been running one for over 14 years
They're a tremendous TM IMO

My old one had 12,000 hrs on it before i retired it

burn K1 kero in the heater, not diesel fuel
It doesn't "stink" or smoke like diesel fuel when burning.
besides being MUCH cleaner burning (no soot) you'll also have less problems with the burner.

heat out put is phenomenal

The factory flow switch is a POS.
replace it with an aftermarket FS from Jeff at Steamway Express in Zoarville Ohio
It's a direct replacement and takes maybe 15-20 minutes to install

aluminum frame and stainless bolts/fasteners makes it a unit you can virtually keep running "forever"

It has many cool features, like pressure 3 PSI adjustment with the turn of a lever...low, med hi for Upl, carpet or pressure washing.

it doesn't take a back seat to any single wand TM and will smoke most of 'em in performance

I know where there's low hour (700 hours) "like new" one you can get for a great price
Jeff at Steamway Expess has it right now
Give him a call.... 330 859-1011
or PM me for details

I'm telling you, this thing is a cream puff and worth a look.

I personally have NO monetary interest in the sale of this TM.
I'm helping a friend

I DO know and love Powermatics though.....and run one..i think they're badazz
I don't need another TM and won't for several years minimum , or I'd buy it, cause the price is RIGHT

..L.T.A.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
of course he had a Vortex and loved everything about it to :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

yea yea he still kinda likes it but still

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I ran a Powermatic for 12 or 13 years. between 8,000 and 9,000 hours on it. It was still going strong when I sold it.

Loved the heat. Had no issues with odors. Used kerosene as Meat indicated.

A few small parts seem to either work loose or good bad sooner than I expected, mostly the fuel flow switch for the kerosene.

Since they are not in production, I would have concerns about getting some parts.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
If you want to spend a ridiculous amount of time replacing and repairing get yourself a powermatic.

If they're running they're a great machine, but I've put many a powermatic user into a Prochem, Blueline, or CDS unit and they've never, never, NEVER looked back.

Not worth the trouble IMHO.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
MicahR said:
If you want to spend a ridiculous amount of time replacing and repairing get yourself a powermatic.

If they're running they're a great machine, but I've put many a powermatic user into a Prochem, Blueline, or CDS unit and they've never, never, NEVER looked back.

Not worth the trouble IMHO.

I know I was one of them!! :mrgreen: Thanks again Micah!!!

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I have one in a box van.

Once I got the bugs worked out I have loved it. A fellow in Idaho bought Steam Way and is goin back into production on some if not all the famous Steamway stuff.

Ken.

I think deep down everyone has or knows someone that would like to unload a machine and upgrade to a JUDSON.

I know I do.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
My electricity cut out this morning with -10f temps outside and a 4 day old baby in the house. I ran a cord outside to the Powermatic's generator and had the furnace back up in 10 minutes.

I think the reason Mikey is so sour on the Powermatic is because it was his backup machine. The machine takes some getting used to and if you’re not running it every day you won’t have it functioning at an optimal level or be able to troubleshoot and make repairs on site. Those that really get to know the machine are proud owners.

Back
Top Bottom