Oriental Rug Appraisals

PCCN

I picked up 5 orientals last may when our city got flooded. Agreed to clean and store them (along with furniture) for the customer until they got their damaged house repaired. Well, over a year later, their house still stands the same and seems they have run out on the mortgage. Our attorney tried notification and had given the go ahead to do as we please with the property since they didn't respond and can't be found.

The problem is, I want to sell these items but have no idea of how to get a realistic appraisal of the 5 rugs. I don't want to list them too low or high, just be fair about it.

Any suggestions on getting these valued?

Thanks all!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I work with a certified Oriental Rug Appraiser. If you don't find someone locally who is qualified, take some photos, front and back. Email me the photos along with your best description of the rug - face yarns, foundation yarns, fringe attached or part of the warp yarns and whatever other info you can provide.

By long distance this will be a ball-park guesstimate, not a true appraisal but it will give you a starting point. Of course, if you can find a local appraiser that would be more accurate.

BTW - The economy has been tough on Oriental rugs. Most are selling for less than they were 4 or 5 years ago.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I just noticed that you are in Nashville. Ruth Travis is nearby. I think she is in Franklin or Thompson station. She is well informed on Oriental rugs. That might be a good place to begin.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You probably don't need a professional appraisal, just an idea of current market value. Your best bet may be to ask a trusted rug dealer what they'd expect to get for them on consignment. A dealer would have the best idea of selling prices in your market.

Dealers often want half if they sell on consignment, but they can get a better price than you can selling as an individual, so it might be best to let them sell the rugs for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom