ottomon..linen and cotton blend

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jarred I'm not familiar TLC but it lists it as a 9.5PH, while at first glance it doesn't appear too high, the are powers of 10, so it could be too strong for what you're cleaning. If you're cleaning natural fibers you might be better off keeping you chem's in the neutral to acid side.

So an 8PH is 10-times higher that 7PH which is neutral and a 9 PH 100 time higher.

Upholstery is very unforgiving, you make a mistake and you can't always correct it like you can carpet. Safe is always better than too aggressive when dealing with upholstery.

ph_level_chart.jpg

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I would not use a higher pH product such as TLC on natural fiber. Keep it low, 7 to 8 range. Also use a product made for upholstery. The detergent systems are different. With carpet you want your prespray to penetrate into a 3 dimensional fiber. With upholstery, you don't want your prespray soaking into whatever is under the thin fabric.

My suggestion is Avenge Fabric prespray. Use a low moisture tool if you have one. Get it dry with extra vacuum only passes and air movement across the surface (not directly into the fabric).

Expect linen fibers to look darker when first wet. Don't worry, they will ighten as they dry.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have had a couple of people brown cotton fabrics with Axiom (I sell the stuff so no professional jealousy here)

The surfactants used in traffic lane presprays create more wetting of the fabric than products designed for upholstery.

Use something neutral (Avenge Fabric Prespray is good) or mildly acidic (Prochem Fine Fabric Shampoo, Bridgepoint Fabric Shampoo, Sapphire Scientific Natural Fiber Cleaner), and apply a foam only, then rinse is with an acidic rinse agent (Bridgepoint Fab Set, Prochem All Fiber Rinse, Sapphire Upholstery Rinse) using a "dry tool", and dry it very quickly.

If there is really linen in it, its expensive, even more susceptible to browning, and also susceptible to distortion if you are too aggressive with your agitation.

Be careful with this one.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
i have tried to shampoo stuff with foam before and it comes out like shit. Is there something i should be doing aside from whipping it up and slapping it on there and using the horse hair brush? Plus if you acid rinse it wouldn't it stop the browning?

I can't clean upholstery without shampoo. I almost never use prespray anymore. A mild shampoo or even a haitian cotton shampoo gets most of what I clean like new. I use a bucket of shampoo mixture, dip a horsehair brush in it, and give the piece of furniture a good rub down. I like how the shampoo really foams up and lifts the dirt out especially on corners, edges, and hard to reach places. I usually rinse with water, but will use an acid rinse if needed. For heavy soiled areas I will mist some fine fabric on before shampooing.

Name
I'm Rick James
Prevac very well and use a hatian cotten cleaner and extract. Post towel it to get off more water and soil, then use an air mover.

Beware of the hidden water mark stains that only appear when you wet the fabric, tell the customer about this prior to cleaning just so you dont get stuck with it if you cant get them out. Also pre-inspect for any damage and note on invoice while showing the customer.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd follow
Scott and Jim's advice, and really emphasize the need for one of the low-moisture tools. Since going to the DriMaster tool, we rarely have to use anything but a mild detergent on linen - with a post-spray of Yellow Eliminator.

I'd be real careful about using Haitian cotton shampoo for just about anything but basket cases, and then only if you let the customer know what to expect. It weakens the cotton/linen fiber and takes out color. I would rather not have to deal with a customer that notices her expensive natural fiber furniture no longer matches anything in the room.

Name
I'm Rick James
The Great Oz said:
I'd follow
Scott and Jim's advice, and really emphasize the need for one of the low-moisture tools. Since going to the DriMaster tool, we rarely have to use anything but a mild detergent on linen - with a post-spray of Yellow Eliminator.

I'd be real careful about using Haitian cotton shampoo for just about anything but basket cases, and then only if you let the customer know what to expect. It weakens the cotton/linen fiber and takes out color. I would rather not have to deal with a customer that notices her expensive natural fiber furniture no longer matches anything in the room.

Thanks brian, bad advice there on my part. For some reason i thought the Ottoman was white cotton, like these shades i just cleaned. I used HCC for sometime now and never had an issue, but that only on white cotton.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Linen usually comes in two common colors, "antique" or "eggshell". When you're correcting browning, or tannin spots, and you're using a strong acid or reducing agent be sure to let the customer know there could be a color change and sign a waiver. Also be careful with spotting with those products as you may leave a nice "snow white" spot where ever you spotted. If you have to use those products you'll want to clean the whole piece with it. Linen is very unforgiving when it comes to oxidizers or reducers. Depending on the quality of linen, I have even heard of it turning green when it comes in contact with an acid, or reducers.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jarred
I'm not familiar with that product but your procedure sounds good. On special care or delicate fabrics try to use and leave as little moisture as possible.

As Scott and Jim mentioned "Dry Type" tools can keep you out of trouble, those kinds of tools would be a very wise investment if you plan on cleaning special care fabrics.

leesenter

We have used Prekleen for Upholstery by Chemspec for almost 25 years. Its neutral pH and excellent for oily soils. Use that with a textile rinse in your rinse and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom