Our tech got attacked by dog today

Our tech was cleaning an apartment today when the neighbors jack russell attacked dog bit him. (Funny thing is my dog attacked a jack Russel last month)

Anyone ever get attacked by a dog before when cleaning? Who's responsible? obviously the dog owner is responsible but who else is liable? Apartment Complex or our company?

Have any of you guys had this problem before?

I agree with Bob. The 8" hose should take care of the "problem" dogs. It's usually the little ones ya gotta look out for.
I was bit on the job once about 15 years ago. Little mutt that was supposed to be locked up when the owners left. Soon as I turned my back, Whammo, ankle sandwich :x Chased him into the bathroom with my carpet rake and locked him in there. Didn't break the skin, but left a pretty good mark.
Anywho, I would assume that the dog's owner would be liable in that situation. Hope your tech is OK. Those Jack Russels can put the hurts to ya.

Rex Tyus

A Jack Russel "attack" dog? I assume you are joking.

Who's responsible? obviously the dog owner is responsible but who else is liable? Apartment Complex or our company?

The amount of liability for the company will vary from state to state. However, whether or not you have a written protocol for aggressive dogs will likely play a role.

I have encountered aggressive dogs, but not bitten. When I see pouchy bark more than twice he has to go or I do. Politely but firmly. When they say "he won't bite you" I say, "I know because he gets locked up or I leave."

Bob Foster

That's why Jack Russell Terriers are often referred to as Jack Russell Terrorists.

Rex Tyus

I know they are aggressive. But how much damage could they really do? Unless you tripped, hit your head, and was rendered unconscious. Now I realize I live in a world of Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, and Old English bull dogs. Anything less seems less than intimidating to me. But again, how much pain can a 10 pound dog cause if you are standing up and paying attention?

GRHeacock

Any dog can bite. I have been bitten by poodles, cocker spaniels, Pekingese, and others over the years. Not seriously, but any nip is good enough for me to take action.

The last one that bit me- a poodle- got a shot of ammonia in it's face.

After that, it stayed back, and barked it's fool head off, but no more biting.

The Pekingese that bit me suffered a broken rib from my kick.

Gary

russgolfer

I used to work for a vet and he said the worst bite he ever had was from a Chihuahua. It bit through his leather watch band and they had to pry his jaws open to get him off. His rule of thumb was that a barking dog won't bite, but if they start to growl- look out!

As for me, I was once backed out of a house by a growling German Shepard. The customer wasn't home and when I came in he was just barking so, see above rule. It was when I turned my back to him and started to walk away that he started growling and making lunging moves at me. I turned to face him and walked very slowly backwards out of the house. Needless to say I did not go back in (luckily hadn't brought any equip. in yet) and we called the customer later that day to reschedule for a day that they would be home to put the dog away. Scared me though.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have never as of yet been bit........ I did have a Newfoundlander (which is about the size of a Shetland Pony ) think I was his personal milk bone once.....

but after I wet myself he pretty much did not like the smell anymore and left me alone...................

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
"The Pekingese that bit me suffered a broken rib from my kick."

Mr Heacock...if we meet i'll be sure to return the favor.............

Chads

Supportive Member
"Dogs are like sharks they only bite when you touch their private parts."

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Oh my ....Marty!
That disclosure certainly puts YOU in the sissy dog owner category.

I have lost all respect for you.

John Buxton

I've been bitten twice (large mutt, and a little yapper) and chased to the van once by a Rott.

The large mutt wasnt up to date on its rabies shot. The owner was so concerned about that she had her vet cut the dogs head off and have it tested for rabies!!! I didnt know about that until after the fact.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Okay now I understand.

My wife "used to" have a cat.
Did I tell you I'm allergic to cats?

So every time I BBQ'd I would pour some beer on that cat and watch it lick its self off. It liked that beer and would get drunk and fall down.
I liked to laugh at it , mocking it.

My wife didn't like that very much and always hit me with a yardstick.

I was a bad man.

And still am today.

hogjowl

Idiot™
This dog used to wait until my wife went out of town and then it would shit all over itself with the runs, expecting me to clean it up. You can't leave a Pek outside in the south or it will die, so I would lock it in the laundry room and wait for my wife to come home. Of course, she'd be all pissed at ME, not the dog!

So, after a couple of times of that, I just shaved his ass with the electric sheers when he did it. They are vain little jerks and after shaving him, he wouldn't show his butt to anyone. He'd scoot his ass around on the floor to keep from standing up. My wife got just as mad at me, may be more, but it cured the dog from doing that anymore.

They are the smartest dogs I have ever owned. Smart enough to be devious, but I am smarter! By dog!

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I've been bit 3 times twice by Chihuahuas and once by a Dotson . Both times the Chihuahuas bit me the teeth went in. I too was chaced to the truck by a 120-150 pound rott. Its not the animals fault its the stupid owners.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I happen to be a little touchy when it comes to the Pekingese breed....they are fiercely loyal breed and were very territorial and were called sleeve dogs cuz the emperor of China would have one in each sleeve of his robe to warn of assassins.....

mine would die for me......!

hogjowl

Idiot™
My wife's is a pure breed Pek and has all the classic personality markers. He too would die for my wife.

I have learned to tolerate him.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Sen John McCain bought my dogs two full brothers for $2200.00 A PIECE plus the airfare for the breeders....to get them there!

bmas

Robthecarpetguy said:
Our tech was cleaning an apartment today when the neighbors jack russell attacked dog bit him. (Funny thing is my dog attacked a jack Russel last month)

Anyone ever get attacked by a dog before when cleaning? Who's responsible? obviously the dog owner is responsible but who else is liable? Apartment Complex or our company?

I had one of those "hot dogs" bite me. It broke the skin and I was bleeding. When I asked the home owner for a towel to wipe the blood she say's "did the dog do that, how long before you think you will be done" I am too nice a guy most people would have sued her ass. I have a dog so I guess that's why I did'nt. Next time I kick the dog in the head before i finish the job.
bmas

dog attack

Honestly the bite wasn't too severe. It just broke the skin and there was bruising. We had him call and file a police report. Couple of years my mom got bit by a dog and three days later it became infected in she landed in the hospital.

It was a neighbors dog. He was cleaning an empty apartment. We have a leash law in our area.
Quote:
Funny thing is my dog attacked a jack Russel last month)"

You should know you have a dog that attacks

did you have to put your dog down?
Becker,
I didn't have to have her put down. I'm not one to exagerate numbers but we had to pay an $8,000 vet bill. Bit the back leg of the Jack Russell. The dog needed a blood transfusion and then a skin graph and it was in the vets for a week. There dog attacked my dog and she tore this dog off. I didn't contest because its a good friend of the family. I don't think she will try to attack my dog again....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom