Over-running a Roots 45...

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Just bought a Roots 45 with very few hours on it, it seems REAL tight.

I plan on taking the #5 out of commission so I can re-build it and get all the tolerances tight on it again.

What I plan on doing is giving the #45 4' piping in and OUT so there is NO exhaust restriction... and running the usual 4 to the door, 2.5 yadda yadda.

I'm wondering if I can "Over-Run" the blower... beyond is 3600rpm range, so I can possibly dual wand with it?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
AshleyMckendree said:
Just bought a Roots 45 with very few hours on it, it seems REAL tight.

I plan on taking the #5 out of commission so I can re-build it and get all the tolerances tight on it again.

What I plan on doing is giving the #45 4' piping in and OUT so there is NO exhaust restriction... and running the usual 4 to the door, 2.5 yadda yadda.

I'm wondering if I can "Over-Run" the blower... beyond is 3600rpm range, so I can possibly dual wand with it?

Why do that? Just put a Kunkal valve on it.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I'm still so clueless how a Kunkle is going to improve my vacuum where I can dual wand with a 45.. If it is because It opens less than a Spring relief than I will just close my relief valve when I dual wand.

Greenie

Do the 4" oversized piping if you want (assuming your current configuration would jsut simply make that easier), but it won't change vacuum much anythign over 2.5" is gravy.

That said, when you "dual" your second wand is by default serving as your vacuum releif valve, it would almost NEVER open regardless with two wands out.

As for over-driving it, g'head, you ain't gonna hurt nothing, it'll just be louder, you might have a belt consideration, but so you change belts in 6 mo. big deal. Along with more "heat" from turning it faster, you also get more cool air being pulled through the blower, and when dual wanding you are actually removing stress from the blower, I'll betcha it doens't even run over 200 deg, check it an report back.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
AshleyMckendree said:
That's what I was hoping to hear!

BUT... How MUCH can I over-run it safely? Would 4000RPM be TOO much?

15% At 3,450 engine speed, that works out to about 40 RPM less than 4,000.

It's okay. I did it for years.

Bob Savage has one I helped him with that's been running a 45 overdriven for a loooonnnng time now.

Farenheit251

I tried to see if I could dual with my 45 at 3600 rpm-not even close,doubt a few hundred more is going to do it. Two 2 inch hoses have about 133% of the volume of the 2.5 opening on the 45. That is a lot to overcome.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
El Diablo say the Kunkel valve inables this machine with 45 blowers to run dual wands at 250 ft :mrgreen:

w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW-_tAKIHc0w]

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
We dual wand all the time with our Roots #45 spinning at 4150 RPM, thru dual recovery tanks and a 4" silencer on the Roots.

It's not that loud with the Stoddard silencer, and has more vacuum than some truckmounts with a #47 or #5 blower.

It uses a single "B" belt for drive, which lasts for at least a year. There is an 8" pulley on the Honda 24 HP, and a 7" pulley on the Roots, and uses a Motion Industries tensioner, for more belt surface contact when running.

It's all in the plumbing.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Bob Savage said:
We dual wand all the time with our Roots #45 spinning at 4150 RPM, thru dual recovery tanks and a 4" silencer on the Roots.

It's not that loud with the Stoddard silencer, and has more vacuum than some truckmounts with a #47 or #5 blower.

It uses a single "B" belt for drive, which lasts for at least a year. There is an 8" pulley on the Honda 24 HP, and a 7" pulley on the Roots, and uses a Motion Industries tensioner, for more belt surface contact when running.

It's all in the plumbing.

Pics?
Sounds great.

Edit: Does this "Motion Industries tensioner" push down on the belt, rather than pulling Up away from the pulley surface?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom