overheating causing shutdown need a little technical advice.

scentscc

I am running a Panther 25 that i bought second hand. It is having some issues that i need help with.
After the unit has been running for a while, i set the wand down to go do something and the unit's temp jumps up and auto-kills the engine. The mix box is filled with super hot water and the unit wont restart until i dump the box water and fill with cool water.
The Temp dial does not appear to effect the temperature of the water coming out of the solution hose. I took the dial off and noticed that it just didn't look right. It appeared that the area where the temp probe came into the thermostat had expanded like a jiffy pop bag. Any ideas where i can get a reasonably priced alternative if it turns out to be the issue? If the thermostat was the issue, would that attribute to my overheating? The solenoid does not appear to be dumping any hot water to the tank.
Thanks
http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... no3jo8.jpg

Rex Tyus

I can not give you any first hand advice on the panther. I can only tell you what a friend of mine did with his. Overheating for him was more the norm than the exception. He also had various other problems. After spending about $2500 in repair and replacement of parts, tremedous lost revenue from down time, he parked it and bought a boxxer.

I hope you have better luck. But don't sink too much money in it. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can help you out.

Respectfully,

Rex

scentscc

hmmm...

The machine only has 108 hrs and i believe it is a strong machine.

After reviewing the part in detail, i am 99% sure the thermostat is the issue. The diaphram the arrow is pointing to expands and contracts. At the end of the arm connected to the diaphram is a white piece that will depress a switch. There is about a .5 inch gap between the contact switch and the actuator due to the inflated diaphram. All the temp dial does is adjust the sensitivity contact switch.
Once i get the new thermostat installed, i will report on the results.
Hope this helps someone else...

Rex Tyus

I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking your unit, I am sorry if it came across like that. When you said you bought it second hand I was concerned for you.

I hope your diagnoses is accurate and fixes you problem.

Respectfully,

Rex

Greenie

You do have an Atypical heat problem with machines that use the Panther system.

Also inspect the sending unit "inside" the HX it's self, it may be broken.

That oversized mixtank is sounding better each day, I know.

The good news is it's a fairly easy fix, replacing the thermostat is just a band-aid.

Eric S

Is the thermostat controlling the HX for shutoff? Sounds like when the heat spikes, it shuts it off, if that's the case, then my suggestion would be to make sure the HX maintains a flow of water. I don't have the bells and whistles on my machine to shut down anything, but what I do have to eliminate heat spikes is a bypass on the wand. When I put my wand down I open the bypass so my HX don't vaporize. This helps to use my in-line sprayer and keeps the hose from freezing in the winter. But it will fill the waste tank up quicker, but with an APO I don't worry. So maybe all you need to do get tap a 1/4 sae and 1/4" tee from before the trigger valve into the wand with a small 1/4" valve.

Eric

hydrablue

I don't mean to sound mean but those ( panther's) you get what you pay for. They will overheat and will cause problems even with the by-pass wand. Bring it to me buy the parts and I'll upgrade it.

10 years as a truck mount mech. finally got the $ to buy an existiing carpet cleaning bus.

scentscc

That was it, the thermostat

I replaced the thermostat and sure enough, the water dumped to the dump tank they way it was supposed to. If i had to reinstall it, I would add a half inch extender to the T valve where the probe went in. The probe was just a little too long and needed to be bent up at the end inorder to fit. It works great now, just a little hindsight.

Farenheit251

Tom, what size jets are you running in the wand? I can't imagine it overheating with the rotovac flow. With that 2545 setup you should have no problem flowing 6. I have the same blower/engine and flow 7.5 w/ a 2 inch tubed wand. Brian E

scentscc

Ti wand with 6 20 flow jets...It didnt overheat when i was running the wand, just on stairs ets..also the temp control never worked. As soon as i swaped it out, i got consistant controllable temp...Hasn't overheated yet...\
Now if i can get the coolant leak fixed!!!

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
I had the same problem. You have to clean the oriface filters. They are two brass plugs that are 1/2 inch they are usually on the side of the truckmount. Yours are clogged most likely.It will take you 10 minutes to do it. Take them off and clean the screens.

scentscc

It is the van

I bought the Van and TM for 5400.... Van had 133000 mi and the TM was like new at 108. I have had to put in 150 for the thermostat, so far.
The van needs a new water pump and not the intake manifold gasket thank God. Brakes need a little work too. The engine is strong and so is the tranny. I took it to a local ambulance mechanic who will be doing the repair work @ 50 an hr. He gets most of the parts wholesale.
500 gets me the water pump work plus, coolant flush, brake flush, spark plugs and wires, and fuel filter. Not a bad first TM in my opinion (so far)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom