Padders- Time to buck up

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
COntinuing the discussion from Peroxcellent before and after: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47086&p=528891#p528891

It was suggested I test to see just how well my own cleaning gets a carpet. WELL...here you go.
HWE doesn't remove ALL the soil, as we all knew before. However, since we are there to clean the carpet, why not make it as clean as possible rather than just "appear" as clean as possible?

p]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25rBQT_-hu8p]

lance

Great job Ron. You did pre-vac and scrub with a GLS which is more than most regular (not board educated and TM modified) HWE cleaners. That has to make a big difference. It would be great if you could do the same test but only PS and rinse the carpet. And use a crappy 1980's wand like the ones that come for free with TM's today. That is really the "average" system for the average Joe Steamcleaner, wouldn't you agree?

That I think is what most OP cleaners go up against, not you and your really nice equipment. And that is why the OP method can compete very easily against those "outdated" systems. Going up against the way you clean does make it harder to see OP do as well. That is for sure.

Thanks for taking the time to video that job. Isn't that greenhorn wand something special? somewhat amus

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
There was a time, not so long ago, that you would have had to join Salman Rushdie in hiding for posting that. The OP army would have hunted you like a rabid dog.....

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Brian R said:
What's the address?...I'll come over and make it look as clean as it is. :mrgreen:

If you remove the soil, its going to look clean.

I've my old wand still, an AW29. Its 1 1/2 inch and I can pull the glide off it. It'll be a lot harder to video, need both hands without a glide. That would make for an interesting test.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If it's clean...it needs to "look" clean.....looked a little brown after you were done.

Where you trying to say that even though it was still dirty, it wouldn't pull any dirt up with the rag?

What gives?

Name
Bruce
Brian R said:
If it's clean...it needs to "look" clean.....looked a little brown after you were done.

Where you trying to say that even though it was still dirty, it wouldn't pull any dirt up with the rag?

What gives?
You know darn well that's not what he was saying

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What was he saying bruce?

No offense Ron...just talking here...but the carpet looked pretty bad in the video.

I'm not saying I could get it any better...because I wasn't there to really see it.

I'm just saying, that carpet might not have been the best example for the video.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Keep in mind Brian there was wear so the traffic pattern is still going to be visible.

Though no method is going to remove ALL the soil, we should be trying to remove as much as possible rather than remove just enough to get by.

I'll keep my camera handy for other examples

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron Werner said:
Keep in mind Brian there was wear so the traffic pattern is still going to be visible.

Though no method is going to remove ALL the soil, we should be trying to remove as much as possible rather than remove just enough to get by.

I'll keep my camera handy for other examples

I understand that Ron. I think we all do.
I couldn't tell on the vid if it was traffic lane grey or a browning of some sort.

I'm sure you did an awesome job on the carpet.....it's just when my mind gets to thinking (yes rare I know)...it got me thinking of what you were trying to say.

And my stupid arse was thinking something other than the obvious. My apologies.

My 1st comment was just saying that padcapping doesn't only GET the carpet clean but with Vacaway's Peroxcellent, it always makes the carpet LOOK clean as well. Browning and yellowing are gone or close to gone if there was any.
I haven't had a traffic lane yet that was so bad looking after I was done. Granted...I've only done maybe 2 really bad ones since I started. But there have been a bad area or two in each job.

If the steam won't do it, maybe the chemistry will?

In that situation....like Mikey sed. 360I might be good....or a post bonnet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That was a good example of HWE, you did a very nice job Ron, however rubbing a towel over the freshly cleaned carpet was a feeble attempt of what OP can do.

The test would have more validity if after HWE you sprayed an encap solution and went over it with an OP machine. Even a 175 would be better than hand rubbing, ideally an OP because it is more aggressive and should give better results.

I really have no dog in this fight, we only use OP and Encap for commercial carpet, but I do believe in the method, so this is very interesting.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I would counter you argument by saying all methods & most types of equipment have thier time and place where they shine above other. As the cleaning professional its up to you to decide which methods best fit you customers needs.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Jeremy said:
I would counter you argument by saying all methods & most types of equipment have thier time and place where they shine above other. As the cleaning professional its up to you to decide which methods best fit you customers needs.

I agree with you there.
I've called a friend in to pad a carpet that had some serious reoccurring spots. I had already flushed them with a hand tool and even a water claw.

Ron,
I would bet a large some of money I could pull a pad full of soil following your job. I agree that hwe removes more soil , but considering nether will remove all soil , nether is perfect. But with pad capping (not encapping) you get real good soil removal and the encap takes care of whats left. Take a look at the video bellow, the left side of the carpet has been "encapped" with a crb. The right side is being extracted , the difference in appearance is due to extraction/soil removal, NOT encap magic.

Now having said my piece, Your still one of my carpet cleaning heroes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfEda6X ... tube_gdata

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
So lets point out the obvious.. if you pad capped that house.. would your rag have been pulled up as clean afterwards.. no..

Jeremy makes the best point... all methods are tools in the tool box that we "should" have at our disposal to use when the situation calls for it.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It would have been alot cleaner than if I would have followed up a pad capper. The real question comes down to what is an acceptable level of soil left behind in the right situation... In a commercial atmosphere where skin to carpet interaction isn't a consideration,, padding/encapping makes sense. As an interim cleaning method between HWE cleanings in houses where soil loads are higher... again makes sense if the carpet is vacuum regularly and the pads are removing most of the soiling...

I've gone behind my own home a month after HWE, pad encapped.. got dirty pads.. then pad capped again over same area.. much cleaner towel second time.. However on a dirty carpet we took out of a home.. I've opped that with 15 towels and they were all coming up black.. noticable improvement in carpet appearance but this was a 5 x 5 piece. I could have extracted it and post padded it alot quicker and removed more soil in total.

The chemistry has been proven.. you can't argue the chemistry.. as long as its a quality product, tested to perform its job, and is proven safe for consumers. The deal breaker is trying to use a stand alone method and touting it as the Holy Grail.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I like it because it's inexpensive, effective and very low maintenance.

It's pain in the ass work though.

The dirty ones take twice the work sometimes that a TM could blow through.

It's like the 4 aspects of cleaning time, solution, agitation, heat

if you spend less money...you'll need more elbow grease, and time.

Spend money and you'll need more money.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Padden McFadden said:
Ron,
I would bet a large some of money I could pull a pad full of soil following your job. I agree that hwe removes more soil , but considering nether will remove all soil , nether is perfect. But with pad capping (not encapping) you get real good soil removal and the encap takes care of whats left. Take a look at the video bellow, the left side of the carpet has been "encapped" with a crb. The right side is being extracted , the difference in appearance is due to extraction/soil removal, NOT encap magic.

Now having said my piece, Your still one of my carpet cleaning heroes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfEda6X ... tube_gdata

If you're comparing my work to what's in that video, I'm insulted!
I could have outcleaned that with a portable and made it look just as good as the padder.
You might want to rethink that bet if you think thats good HWE 8)

Now put a clean pad on and go over the SAME area. Bet it comes out blacker than what you'd get off a carpet I've cleaned!

I wasn't trying to show off my cleaning Ron. The video was to make a point that Pad cleaning removes lots of dirt. The left side was straight encapped, VS the right side that was pad capped. see the difference? that was the point. Wasn't rying to be a jerk or anything.

BTW. Not be rude, but I think my result was better than yours. Just my Opinion. Now go vacuume somthing :)

Hey Ron,
I just realised, you mis read my post.!!!

The padding in that video WAS NOT following HWE. It was following a very long hard core pre scub with a crb (encapped , if you will) . I now see why you insulted my cleaning ability, you thought I had HWE ed that carpet before padding. lol

Have a good night.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Many ways to clean a soiled carpet. I first steam the carpet. Them rotary scrub the carpet. This way it lubricates the brush better and the scrubbing is more effective. Then I steam. Maybe scrub soiled area again and steam again.

I do believe in pad encap. I have some monthly accounts that they previously could never get good results with HWE. One is the offices of the factory that makes crunch & munch The caramel turns black and wicks like crazy.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
shiteatinggrin Yep, that's what I thought.

Have to get a good padcapper on that chunk of scrap Mikey and Meat are going to dual over at MF.
Hope I can make it.

Cleaned another carpet today that I put a clean cloth to; hardly anything on it. I think I'll buy some white socks and do a test that customers can relate to. I hear every now and then how a customer had some cleaner in and their socks got all black the next day, ie when it was dry!
The white sock test. We can put a sock in it !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom