Painting metal

Jamesh921

Name
James
I just put about 5 coats of Rust-Oleum multicolor textured paint on a metal tool box that I use to store my seaming iron and other tools in. Does this application need to be clear coated or eurethaned? Or will it be fine after I let it cure?

I put on that many coats because I didn't have any primer, but it sure does look good now.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The secret to "rAttLe-CaNNinG"....Is very thin coats.... !gotcha!

Do NOT allow paint to dry between coats....apply 2nd or 3rd coat while previous coat
is "taCkY"...5 coats is EXTREEME...Bad Idea...!!!

By layering the coats before they dry...you will be creating a BOND between each coat !
5 coats is too heavy...this is why the paint will "chip"...instead of flexing.... :idea:

Sand the object..."lightly"...Then apply 1 "thin" color coat & immediately follow with 1
clear coat... :!:

"PREP WORK"....Is the key to any finished paint finish...!!!!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
bare metal.....needs
a self-etching primer.......it's a two part primer that has an acid base that actually etches itsef to the bare metal.... acid catalysts for reactions of carbonyl compounds, or form specific intermediates that are not produced naturally, such as osmate esters in osmium tetroxide-catalyzed dihydroxylation of alkenes, or cause lysis of reagents to reactive forms, such as atomic hydrogen in catalytic hydrogenation.
ALL my Genie frames are prepared this way...
followed by a two part EPOXY color coat...........

sounds lik Joe jus MIGHT be the........ "rAttLe-CaNNinG"....expert :lol:

twopart.jpg

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
You screwed up dude. Enjoy it's beauty while the paint job lasts. More coats will not help what is under the paint.

Delete thread. Ban user.

lance

Hey Bobby V.....

If the metal you're painting was sand-blasted, do you still need your kind of primer put on? Or can it be more of a "regular" non-etching primer?

Name
Nate W.
Aircraft stripper it and it'll take it to bare metal in about 2 hours. wash it off and start again. Our 4 wheeling trucks are done like that. We like to use the Napa Industrial Coating paint... shiteatinggrin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom