Patent Granted...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
So, FINALLY, after about 3 years of waiting, I've been granted the patent I applied for.

It has to do with the heat exchange system I designed when the "Nemesis" was first built.

Very cool... 8)

rick imby

Name
Rick
Duane Oxley said:
So, FINALLY, after about 3 years of waiting, I've been granted the patent I applied for.

It has to do with the heat exchange system I designed when the "Nemesis" was first built.

Very cool... 8)

Congrats Duane.

It is quite an accomplishment.

Rick

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Duane Oxley said:

Very cool... 8)
Bic.....

errrrr i mean pic?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Larry:

We sold 3 of them so far. I put the production of those systems on hold, because I want tore- arrange some things, in terms of how they go together, to make them as easy to work on as the rest of our systems.

The new configuration is similar to the old, "PowerPak" design we made back in the 1990's. In that design, the engine is belt- driven and located under the blower, with the engine exhaust coming down vertically, about 6" behind the engine and blower. (That's where the exhaust exchanger will be.) The recovery tank will be on the back of the frame, like the PowerPak (and the current Viper design) and between the recovery tank and the engine / blower, just behind the exhaust exchanger, will be the pre-heat exchanger.

Here is the "Xcel" design we made 3 of:

TaylorsCamera018.jpg

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Congratulations, Duane!

Your design must be unique to receive a patent. How so?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Basically, it uses a design similar to a shell and tube exchanger to pre-heat the water, by running several tubes through the fresh water box and running the blower exhaust through the tubes.

In addition, on the enhanced model, there are 2 diverters. Diverter number 1 is the diverter for the engine exhaust and routes the exhaust either through the exhaust exchanger, or around it, depending upon the temperature relative to the temperature setting. In either case, the exhaust eventually merges into the blower exhaust and the resulting combined airflow continues on it's way to the pre-heat exchanger (i.e, the exchanger that uses blower exhaust to pre- heat the water). The resulting combined exhaust gas is either routed through the box, or around the box, via diverter number 2, depending upon whether the box temperature is below 120 degrees, or above 120, respectively.

In the first dual- diverter, "Nemesis" prototype system we built, it generated a dependable 203 degrees ATW @ 1.8 GPM, using a 25 Kohler and #4 blower. However, that temperature dropped substantially in the wintertime, to 160 ATW. After consulting with some friends who have engineering backgrounds, we determined that using stainless steel for the water box pre- heater was the problem, because stainless, though great for the corrosive atmosphere of exhaust gas, isn't so great at heat transfer efficiency. So, when efficiency is essential, aluminum or copper is better. So now, the exchanger boxes are anodized aluminum (as seen in the picture above). And soon, on the more expensive models, the tubes will be copper, and the box itself of stainless steel (for durability).

This is all taking time to lay it out the way I want, as you might imagine. And I want to be sure to lay it out on a model that we'll be moving forward with. So, it will be a bit longer, but it will be worth the wait.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom