Pattern Mismatch job

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Been a while since I posted some repair work photos.

Here's apattern mismatch correct. I was working for the manufactuer.

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5770.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

John

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I'm sorry but how the hell do they screw that up? I mean its not like they are trying to match up this:

43418_%20WovenGrassland

Honestly I don't think the installer even tried.

GREAT JOB of correcting it John! Its ALWAYS harder to correct a mistake than to avoid it in the first place.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi John:

You did a great job. I am an Inspector, and see this a lot.

Please tell us how you were able to do it? Was this tufted carpet? How popular is that in New Zealand? How much extra stretch in that small room did it take after you made the patteren match?

thx,
Dale

P.S. I with you on the IICRC. The problem with it in Amercia though is peope who spent their money on it, think if it folds they wasted thier money, LOL.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hi Dale,

tufted goods. I'm not experienced enough to tackle that on woven, although if a job came up for one of the mills, I guess I'd do it and learn fast...

I do quite a few of these a year, all for the mills. Most mills don't warrant against pattern match by stretch, yet it's an easy 'out' for the store manager to get a rep in.

I find more often than not, these are on traditional tape so I split the seam, remove the tape, clean the edges and then start again with KG tape.

I use my stretcher to get it close, then I use my mini stretcher to manipulate combined with my knee kicker etc.

I utilise the KoolGlide obviously and also the SDN which is invaluable for this type of work.

On that job, I think I removed about 2" over about 16' of seam. The room was about 24' long from memory. His only complaint was that I had eliminated the small amount of peaking but he was now aware of in on the last 8'... but not bad enough to pay me directly to fix that extra :lol:

Having said that, last Thursday I had to walk away from my first, it wasn't doable. It was about 17' long and the pattern repeat was about 1" and it overtook itself 8-9 times on the fill. The body had good stretch to start with. I stretched 3" out but it would have compromised the integrity of the carpet if I had pushed for the additionl 5-6".

John

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It's amazing what you can run into on some of these jobs and see what installers can get away with. YesterdY we installed the piece in the picture above. Client was very happy, but upstairs she had a white tufted saxony about 10 years old. In the front door she had same company install vinyl then curve a tap down metal around the the vinyl dor the carpet. When they curved the metal they didn't remove e vinyl behind it. When she had it cleaned, the vinyl started forecasting through the carpet. She had always blamed it on the carpet cleaner. She never knew the vinyl was still under the carpet.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
John:

I have to agree, that's real good work.

As an Inspector, I have taken pattern matching from CFI, Shaw, and Mohawk. But no way do I claim to be an Installer.

Sincerely,
Dale

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hi Dale,

I posted a long message, but somehow it disappeared on me.

I'm not a layer, I've never installed in the true sense of teh word and have absolutely no desire to do so.

I came from the cleaning background. I was doing flood work and got sick or waiting ages for a layer to re install for me to be able to complete the claim.

So in the late 90's I found a retiring layer, bought his stretcher and a few other bits and pieces, he showed me the basics and away I went.

My desire for doing the best I can and my perfectionist attitude got me through, but then I started seeing pulled threads, small damage etc that was both related and unrelated to the claims I was working on. So that started my course down the repair industry.

As I got proficient at it, I found more and more demand for it. Most layers that I network with HATE repairs, they'd rather grab a roll of new pliable carpet than work with old. They also have been forced to think with a 'contract' mentality, so to sit down and take your time to get it right goes strongly against their normal manner or work.

By 2006 I had found an instructor that would teach me the art of re tufting (re burling - US) and so I spent a week in Queensland Australia learning that. I was back in Australia in Melbourne in late 2007 doing a Registered Carpet Inspector course with Dr Eric Brown throught the WoolSafe group.

From 2006 I started marketing to the mills, and while it was slow at first breaking into that market, I got there, and now cover a 2-3 hour raduis of my home town for the majority of mills.

I am predominantly self taught but as I said up at the beginning, it's my desire to do the absolute best I can, combined with my perfectionist attitude that has been instrumental in getting where I have today.

Today, I rarely clean, I still have my cleaning and restoration company and have staff working for me, I manage and do a little of the after hours on call work and after hours commercial carpet cleaning to keep me in touch with the business/industry. I split my time between mill work and repairs. The repair work comes from the retailers, property managers and insurers.

I'm fortunate to have found a job that aligns with my passion. I LOVE my work, I find I can do a long day and not come home exhausted or frustrated. I find the clients treat you differently too. There's a whole different level of respect. I don't present myself, nor charge like a carpet layer though. I don't drive a van, I drive a toyota Prado, I have a quality image and dress accordingly. Dress pants and shirt most days. and I charge possibly 1.5-2 times what the layers locally charge.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
good work John Ivebeensold . I wrote a long message last night on a post that did not post either . shiteatinggrin Ivebeensold

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom