Peak exhaust problems...

Able 1

Name
Keith
:x I replaced my exhaust about 8-10 months ago, and I'm about to do it again.. :?
009-1.jpg

013.jpg

It broke right at the weld.. I think my tm is getting too hot? Anyone have this problem?

Last time I replaced it I had it ceramic coated and I wraped it... no go.

The exhaust makes a mess of everything in my van. :evil:

Why do you guys think this is happening?

Thanks,
Keith

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
looks to me like it is a bad vibration.........you either don't have it supported correctly...or it is supported and it is to ridged............

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I looked at this before Keith took it apart and I don't believe it is running lean, if anything it is rich. The exhaust is quite black and messy as you can see by his pictures. I don't see how it could be a vibration issue. The pipe that goes down into the exchanger box is free floating in a rope type gasket. Looks to me like the weld was bad. Is that possible?

Keith, Were you able to finish your job yesterday? Have you gotten the new pipe on?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shane T said:
Keith, Were you able to finish your job yesterday? Have you gotten the new pipe on?

Yeah Shane, that got me through the job and a landlord called when I was finished and I went and cleaned 5 rooms a hall and set of stairs (I really didn't want to run it any more but he said he needed it done yesterday :x )

I have it all apart... :lol:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I had a similar problem with an exhaust. The exhaust T'd together and at night the joint would glow bright red. The original broke at the weld and I re-welded it. It broke again and I had a professional re-weld it and he also reinforced it. It still broke so I bought a new exhaust. It also broke in the same place so I had a muffler place make an entirely new one just using the engine mounts and never had another problem. My would only last 6 to 9 months each time. Hope this helps.

Gene

Able 1

Name
Keith
GeneMiller said:
I had a similar problem with an exhaust. The exhaust T'd together and at night the joint would glow bright red. The original broke at the weld and I re-welded it. It broke again and I had a professional re-weld it and he also reinforced it. It still broke so I bought a new exhaust. It also broke in the same place so I had a muffler place make an entirely new one just using the engine mounts and never had another problem. My would only last 6 to 9 months each time. Hope this helps.

Gene

Gene, what did they make it out of?

I have it all together and it is sooo quiet now! I am going to look at having someone make one for me, I'm getting sick of replacing it.. :evil:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I wish I could tell you. It was a long time ago. I took it to a muffler shop and they made a new one. I didn't ask nor tell them anything other then just make me one that won't break at the weld. They did slightly change the design so that it was a sweeping bend instead of a hard T. I agree it's a pain plus very hard on the inside of the van. Take it to a shop and tell them the problem. I'm sure that they will have a solution. The shop I used was a small performance shop. Good luck.

Gene

Becker

Name
Becker
Call John Hot Heat Exchangers. Perhaps they have or can build you a heavy duty SS one.. I bought on for my machine.

Thick SS, 3 years later as good as new.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Thanks guys! I'll start looking around, and let you know what I do.. Does stainless deal with the heat better? Do your pipes still get red hot? I think if I just had a bigger pipe it would work fine I think the restriction is whats killing them..

Name
Nate W.
Able 1 said:
Thanks guys! I'll start looking around, and let you know what I do.. Does stainless deal with the heat better? Do your pipes still get red hot? I think if I just had a bigger pipe it would work fine I think the restriction is whats killing them..

It might be a little off topic but my Suzuki Samurai has stainless steel headers, and it gets red hot... "Glowing" about 5 mins from idle.

Hope that helps..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom