Pee spots

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I know we've discussed this before but I NEED to get better at dealing with pet urine. I couldn't find the previous thread so I thought I'd ask again. Mike mentioned 40 volume and oxy clean. Please help me be a hero.

What's your secret potion? Ratios?

How do you apply, hydro force or pump sprayer?

Dwell time?

Agitation?

What success should I expect and tell custys to expect from this?

I've usually tried products like TCU (Tannin, coffee, urine) from Bridgepoint and am not very impressed at all on urine.

Thanks guys. I'm sure we'll share lots of pee/poop/vomit stories at the Fest! Looking forward to coming away a better cleaner and businessman.

The Clean Machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Some here supposedly get it all solved and honky dori every single time.

They must be special!.Or more likely all their clients have solution dyed fibers :winky:

Are we talking removing dye damage, odor, wicking?

Success depends on: the fiber, length of time it was exposed to urine, what the clients have already tried, pad and sub floor (potentially dry wall as well) saturation, color of carpet and client expectations.

Whenever using a dye stripper (peroxide in this case) there's some risk involved, particularly with dye sites that were already compromised.
Set their expectations to be realistic.

And here come the people who know no failure.........

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Does a "dye stripper" remove color in the carpet too? I'd love a solution yo urine. I think the problem is that the ammonia in the urine sometimes (often?) permanently discolors the carpet. I want to learn though. I have a lot of faithful customers and think I do a good job at managing expectations. I just wish I could get more urine stains out. I'd be the hero. Scott sent me some pretty thorough literature on it and I will read it as soon as I can (25 pages).

My problem is that I worked alone (still do mostly) for so long. It took me getting involved here to learn some pretty basic things. I want to conquer this urine thing as well or better than anyone in my area. I hate the idea that I may be leaving the door open for someone to make me look like a chump.

The Clean Machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Does a "dye stripper" remove color in the carpet too? - The peroxide will not remove the dye from solution dyed fibers and from most (not all) acid dyed nylon. Can't use on wool.

I'd love a solution yo urine. Join to the club :winky:. We'd all love to.
As I mentioned- The "solution" depends on the situation and extent of the damage.

I think the problem is that the ammonia in the urine sometimes (often?) permanently discolors the carpet. I want to learn though. I have a lot of faithful customers and think I do a good job at managing expectations. I just wish I could get more urine stains out. I'd be the hero. Scott sent me some pretty thorough literature on it and I will read it as soon as I can (25 pages).- Scott's document is excellent.

My problem is that I worked alone (still do mostly) for so long. It took me getting involved here to learn some pretty basic things. I want to conquer this urine thing as well or better than anyone in my area. I hate the idea that I may be leaving the door open for someone to make me look like a chump.
The Clean Machine

Learn to diagnose the extent of the damage, adjust to what's at hand, practice the advise in Scott's document and you'll do well. Experience will help you 'guestimate' success.

Here's what the CRI says: "

Urine can affect the dyes used in carpet, although not all occurrences will result in a permanent
stain. Success is dependent upon the content of the urine, the dyes, and any treatments
applied to the carpet during manufacturing, the finish used, and the time elapsed after the
deposit.

Some urine spots may be immediately noticeable, while others may take weeks or

months for a reaction. The dyes may change color immediately after contact with urine.
When urine spots develop slowly and are noticed after much time has elapsed, the dyes and
carpet fibers may be permanently damaged. In beige carpet, blue dyes are attacked by pet
urine, leaving behind the red and yellow dyes with a resulting stain appearing red, yellow, or
orange.

Pet urine, left unattended, can damage carpet in several ways. Moisture can weaken the bond

between the layers of the carpet, allowing separation or delamination of the backing material to
separate. Seam areas can be particularly vulnerable to damaged and can separate.
Another problem, especially with cat urine, is odor. Unless the cat urine can be completely
removed, complete odor removal is unlikely. "

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If you are looking to make something like stain magic, it's generally one cup hydrogen peroxide(we use 40vol) mixed with a quarter cup ammonia(non sudsing).

I've had best results from actual stain magic.

Reactions: Russ T.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you are looking to make something like stain magic, it's generally one cup hydrogen peroxide(we use 40vol) mixed with a quarter cup ammonia(non sudsing).

I've had best results from actual stain magic.

actually the best stain magic is urine stain remover and protein stain remover...
mix 50/50 in a spray bottle....stronger mix of your normal stain magic..
you never have to worry about just having only one part left because the other part evaporated....
longer shelf life when mixed...
you have 2 products that you can also utilize on other things.....

works great for urine...coffee...plant stain...water stains.and some other things......

been using this mix for years with great results......

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
After enzyme treatment and thorough thorough cleaning/rinsing, (which is the most important part of the process) I use Dynachem liquid Fabric Brightener on any stains still visible. I treat each stain with a trigger sprayer and leave it to dry. This has worked great for many years. I think that, when it comes to urine treatment, there is generally too much emphasis on putting stuff into the carpet and not enough emphasis on getting everything out.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Don't have to break out the mean stuff very often. O2 if ya agitate then rinse the snot out of it : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom