Pet hair and vacuums

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Well I was due for a whacko call from a customer and it came in yesterday. We cleaned for her about a month ago. The house was empty and they wanted it cleaned because the previous owner had cats. She said her toddler was allergic to cats. So after 30 days she calls and says her baby dropped his bottle on the carpet and when she picked it up there were 2 cat hairs on it.
:eekk:

So she wants her money back because we didn't clean it correctly. My take on it is you will never remove 100% of pet hair. It will continually come out from under baseboards, and I'm sure that no matter how much you vacuum there will be some left at the carpet base that will come up over time. Over the years I have given up with these nut jobs and not even put up a fight. I would just say sorry we were not able to meet your cleaning needs and give them their money back. My office manager thinks I'm crazy for not standing up to these people and in most cases the techs that do the job are pissed and a little insulted that I gave the customer the money back even though it didn't come out of their pocket. Maybe it's a pride thing on their part because they feel they did a good job and they feel I am siding with the customer. Should I stand up to these people or just flush them? The job was $525.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I do my best to manage their expectations, then vacuum well. If they were STILL not satisfied I'd give the $ back too (or at least some of it). You're reputation is WAY more valuable than that carpet job.

The Clean Machine of Iowa
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
You will never get all the pet hair up. Unfortunately this may not have been stressed enough at the time of the job. I have been amazed at the amount of hair and debris that is dug out with a CRB and renovators then followed up with a vacuum. But even then there will still be hair.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We tell them we will do our best (and we will) but there is no way that you will ever get it all out. If they are that concerned it should be replaced. Unless you guaranteed removal I would not give it back.

I would offer to come back and vacuum again or re-clean the areas with the proviso that "we cannot guarantee removal no matter how many times its cleaned.

Last week we had a car that was hit by a tire and wheel that fell off a semi. It crushed the roof and broke out the front windshield. We spent 6-hours vacuuming & cleaning with a TM, the the seats (the body shop removed them for us) and carpet. SIX hours and every time we thought we were done we would groom it and inspect with a high intensity light and find tiny fragments. Tedious job but they were satisfied. We told them the carpet should be replaced but they preferred to go this route and we offered no guarantee.

I don't mind attempting the impossible as long as they have all the risk. It's too much to ask of us as cleaners to try and remove something like cat hair and then want your money back. We should be compensated for the effort put forth.

Ron K

I agree give them a refund,

The Baby was probably in Vegas for a month.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Tell her to vacuum the house till there's no single pet hair left.
Test.
If none left, offer her a job with your company. She's a keeper.

Richard is right. Prequalifying in such circumstances is essential. I always write in the invoice that complete pet hair/dender etc. removal is not possible and have them sign it. However, my complete satisfaction guarantee will over rule it.
Your reputation trumps justice.

I'd give her the money even though she's totally unreasonable.

At times when I sense a difficult client, I write on the invoice that "In this specific job (say a urine contamination and they don't want to pay for a thorough job, and explain why) we do not offer a money back guarantee" and I have them sign it. It is more for the record than the money, as if they asked, I will still refund them the money.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom