Pet Odor and Apartments

Jamesh921

Name
James
I occasionally run across an apartment that is saturated with pet odor. Some spots are visible, some are not, but the entire carpet (and pad) are saturated with the smell of the pet. What's the best way to attack this odor to totally eliminate it (especially if the apt manager doesn't want to replace it)?

Do you treat a dog's odor differently than that of a cat? Or the same?

Thanks,
James

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Start here.

8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFTS5MmLyo8]

Double click it to see the rest of the 4 part series.

Jamesh921

Name
James
(especially if the apt manager doesn't want to replace it)?

Didya miss that part Danny?

Most apt mgrs will not replace carpet unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. I've even been told (after I suggested replacement) that "Upper management is NOT replacing ANY carpet right now".

C

cucu

change out the padding,treat subfloor clean back and front of carpet

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jamesh921 said:
(especially if the apt manager doesn't want to replace it)?

then they don't get any kind of assurance that the problem will be corrected.

If it's just dog "smell" as in dog oils/dander, start br Warrnerizing the hell out of it
("Warnnerizing" is anal compulsive vacuuming if you don't know)

followed by strong degreaser pre-spray (add some smellgood to the mix) and thorough flush/rinse extract.

follow up with a topical smellgood treatment
Hydromaters Muti-Phase has worked well for dog dander odor

if the "dog smell" is from urine contamination, the process gets more detailed and expensive.
as mentioned, you need to pull pad and clean both sides of the carpet.

we literally flood them using a watering can mixed with oxidizer (sodium perc)
Or Oxy-Clean

..L.T.A.

Marc Imbesi

Jamesh921 said:
I occasionally run across an apartment that is saturated with pet odor. Some spots are visible, some are not, but the entire carpet (and pad) are saturated with the smell of the pet. What's the best way to attack this odor to totally eliminate it (especially if the apt manager doesn't want to replace it)?

Do you treat a dog's odor differently than that of a cat? Or the same?

Thanks,
James

James,

Ive seen your name around for about a hundred years, ICS and FCI, too. I would expect different from you by now....

For the rookies: REPLACE or RUN!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
If I runacross a job like that where replacement isn't an option and if its just a few spots, use a Spotclaw or a small waterclaw. Flood it, extract, flood it, extract, flood it, extract. I like using the small waterclaw over the spotclaw, easier when standing plus it covers a bigger area. It also will fit on a stair if thats where the spot is.

If there are toooo many spots to waterclaw, I shotgun it with good deodourizer. I've recently been trying an acid rinse with quatalot, basically an acidic deodoourizer. Prevac the place first, remove the hairs etc. Spray the whole carpet down well with the deodourizer, let it dwell (30minutes at least) while you get everything else set up for cleaning, ie vac hose, scrubber, prespray, wand/360. Then clean as normal.

Can't make any guarantees with this, but most times it will do the job.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I've been doing apts and rentals for a while now and the current trend for me is replacement unless it's going to cost over 50-60% cost to replace. No one's replacing unless they can't rent the place out because of the smell, which is a good thing.

Jamesh921

Name
James
James,

Ive seen your name around for about a hundred years, ICS and FCI, too. I would expect different from you by now....

Mark,
There are new products coming out all the time. And I certainly never claimed to know "everything" there is to know about flooring. So, if I've somehow fallen short of your expectations .... well.... sorry.

But, it's nice to see that you're already trying to make friends now that your time-out has ended :roll:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Jamesh921 said:
But, it's nice to see that you're already trying to make friends now that your time-out has ended :roll:

Nice.

Oh yea, welcome back Mark.

time%20out%20chari.jpg

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
if odor is in the backing and padding of the carpet then nothing you will do can remove it except replacement. Well nothing economical at least. I clean these all the time. I will post spray with a pairing agent, liberally saturate it. I use cat off which is a different fragrance to odorcide. If there is only a couple spots I may sub-surface extract with the water claw and osr. Sometimes the customer just wants it cleaned as good as possible and hope they can rent it. I charge 40-50 bucks to post treat with the pairing agent and most the time the manager is content.

Back
Top Bottom