Pet Odor and Blacklight urine detection questions

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi guys,
I made my own blacklight using a 100W fluorescent bulb and a shop light.Looks pretty professional and it works great.But I could use some help in analyzing what it shows.
I used it to get a cleaning job last week.The owner's mom died and he's trying to sell the house.He cleaned the carpet himself with a Bissell.It's beige nylon and looked clean but the owner told me potential buyers complained about pet odor.I couldn't really smell it because he had these plugin deodorizers everywhere in the house.
The light showed a whole bunch of stains. Some of them brighter than others.A piece of furniture had left a long brown stain and around that there was a brilliant white area. I'm guessing that he tried to remove the stain and that there was some kind of residue from that in the carpet.Is that a possibility?
There were areas along the base boards that clearly showed cat urine.
Various spots of the same color throughout the center of the rooms as well. Dog pee maybe?
And there were several spots that looked green. Very different from the rest of the the stains.What could those be?
Aside from the brown stain none of them were visible to the eye without the black light.
So I told the owner that I could do a better job that he with the Bissel but I could not guarantee that I'd be able to solve his problem. He decided to let me give it a shot and I really wanted to do a good job.
So I pre vacuumed,pre sprayed and cleaned the carpets using Prochem Floral Odor Neutralizer, Oxy Plus and All Fiber Deep Clean.I reduced the pressure to 300 psi and tried not to get into the pad too much.
Following that I injected Urine Off enzyme treatment into the pad in the worst places then stuck multiple driers on the carpet right away.After that I misted a bit of the Prochem Odor neutralizer onto the carpets.
So after that I rechecked with my black light hoping the spots would be gone or at least diminished.But they were all still there pretty much like before. How frustrating!
So my question is:Is this normal? Do the spots remain once the carpet has been exposed to urine or was there anything else that I should have done to get rid of the spots and solve the problem?
I had unplugged the air fresheners before the job and when I left I could not smell pet odor, but my sense of smell is not that great. The customer lives out of town and he'll be checking it out tomorrow.I hope he'll be happy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.Of course now he's used to the scent of the plugin deodorizers which he wanted me to take out.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First off, the green areas.. those were the pet problem areas. But when in doubt, mark with white chalk, and get down and give it the old sniff, scatch, and taste test. Works everytime!

Second time to learn about water claw.

Marc Imbesi

withglasses.jpg

chalked4.jpg

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if you search my name I posted a couple of pictures where the urine spots disappear on smartstrand carpet when treated with water

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Good to know that the spots will still show with the black light even after the cleaning. I feel more confident now that I did a good job. But in the future, are you saying I should mark the spots with chalk, sniff and hit the ones that smell like urine with the water claw? What kind of solution would I use for that? Just the regular rinse? I was thinking I should not get the pad wet to prevent reactivating the urine smell. Wouldn't a water claw soak the pad too much?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I've tried to take pictures of black-lighted pet spots and they never show up. Some are quite amazing.

ascrubabove

The pee is in the pad cause the dumbazz used the bissel on it and pushed it further down, you need to remove it to get rid of the odor, the water claw is the way to do it, use pros choice OSR, mix and pour on spots, work it in so it follows the urine down into the pad, let it dwell as directed while treating the other spots, hook up the water claw and extract in the same order. You can make alot of money when you add this on to some of your reg cleaning jobs.

Marc Imbesi

It took 2 people to take the "green pee" shots. One to hold the light and the other holds the UV glasses over the lens and takes the picture.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Marc Imbesi said:
It took 2 people to take the "green pee" shots. One to hold the light and the other holds the UV glasses over the lens and takes the picture.

Thanks for the tip.

Marc.....thanks for sharing! Have you had any luck (or anyone else) videotaping urine spots? I'm wondering if you can use uv glasses covering the lense while videotaping?

Marc Imbesi

bennyandthejets said:
Marc.....thanks for sharing! Have you had any luck (or anyone else) videotaping urine spots? I'm wondering if you can use uv glasses covering the lense while videotaping?

What do you want to videotape?

Marc Imbesi

Larry Cobb said:
[quote="Marc Imbesi":1onb2hdv]
Is that the light I purchased from you, Larry? Would it accelerate others' products, too?
Marc;

Yes, it is the same light. How is it working for you ?

I have had the best results with these products:

http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_...t&search_in_description=1&keyword=odor+attack

Larry[/quote:1onb2hdv]

Larry,

My clients are amazed what this light uncovers while wearing the UV glasses. Sure does add value and gets talked about often.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
If the spot remains after cleaning, what component of the urine is not being removed, and what can be used to make sure it is gone?
If you are going to show the client what it looks like under UV light before cleaning, there is a good chance they would want to see it after cleaning. You would add credibility if it did not remain.

Marc Imbesi

Larry Cobb said:
Marc;

The important question is . . .

does it make it easier to sell the pet treatment to the customer ?

Larry

Larry,

I think thought that may be understood when I said my clients have been amazed, and the flashlight adds value to me and my company. I don't want to be labelled a shill. You, though, are being the typical salesman.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Goomer said:
If the spot remains after cleaning, what component of the urine is not being removed, and what can be used to make sure it is gone?
If you are going to show the client what it looks like under UV light before cleaning, there is a good chance they would want to see it after cleaning. You would add credibility if it did not remain.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm wondering.What should I tell the customer why the urine spots are still showing. Is there a chemical explanation for this? How can i convince him that I did an effective job?

Back
Top Bottom