pet piss on wool rug

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Have a customer tomorrow that a dog piss on her new 100% wool rug. I have no spotting juice designed for wool.

Any suggestions other than just prespray & emulsifier?

Normally I don't clean wool or keep chemicals specifically for wool, but this is a regular customer.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Liquid PeeBeGone is being evaluated as we speak. Once fully developed, it will be perfect for wool...

I'm doing my best to have it ready by November...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Vince;

A powder reducing agent will do a good job on the stain.

The pH is perfect for wool @ 5.5.

Our product is Fiber Brite. The active ingredient is a bisulfite. A couple of other mfg. products have it in the formulation.

Larry Cobb

Jayson

Also make sure you treat the spot prior to cleaning the area rug and make sure you leave the rug on the acidic side of the scale ( 4.5-6.5 ). I assume yo know what NOT to clean wool with?

One more thought. Look at the wool rug closely and make sure the carpet has not bleed where the urine is. If so make sure to qualify it with your customer first.

Rex Tyus

I can tell you what not to use. I had a client that bought a new wool rug while on vacation. Her husbands dog pissed on it. She complained and he "cleaned" with Castrol Super clean.

Customer
Rex what can you do?

Rex
I can give you the number of a good rug retailer.

:twisted:

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Have her sign a waiver. Pee is a touchy situation and tough to get out especially when its pee-SOAKED and your surface cleaning.

Dolly

I have had no trouble with using Stain Zone from Bridgepoint.

It will not hurt the color or the wool. Just mist, extract and repeat.

If your real anxious about it, test it by misting it on a cloth and wiping it on a little place.

Not knowing if your working with a plain color or multi It is hard to tell you exactly.

But, I have not in many years ever had an issue using Stain Magic on wool for urine stains on oriental rugs or carpeting, but now I use the stain zone because it is superior in my opinion.

Also, I have used bridgepoint urine stain removal as well and that has worked, but not as well or as quickly as the stain zone.

Either way, you should do ok.

Just for your peace of mine test an area an you'll see for yourself

John Buxton

Had an oriental that smalled so bad you would choke in the truck wrapped in a trash bag.

CTI has the answer. Urine Pretreat+ in a pit for 8 hours, rinse, rinse, rinse. Then another bath in Odor Eliminator. Then you can put your nose in it and not smell a thing.

Dolly

I whole heatedly agree with your procedure.

It is though the stains I believe he was concerned about.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Seeing as you're going tomorrow and don't have the chance to possibly order checms from the online sales people, go to your local chemist and get a small quantity of H202. Downunder we use 6% but not sure what that equates to in you %vol calculation.

Dry vac the rug really good, both sides each twice. Apply the H202 to a test area and check for colour loss/change etc. If ok, apply liberally to just the immediate area affected. Do this while the rug is still dry as it will gain the most benefit.

Sometimes a light misting of ammonia over the top will activate and accelerate the process. Leave for 5-20 minutes and maybe even add a little more to it.

Rinse thoroughly with a mild acid rinse solution, apply a good wool detergent (ok so you don't have any, go into your local grocery store and in your laundry department, buy a product that is designed for wool or ladies delicates) apply it and work it through gently and extract again on the acid side.

Be careful with H202 that you wear gloves etc and don't drip in anywhere it shouldn't be.

Once that is done, clean the entire rug 9with the sme product if possible) and groom and speed dry. As mentioned, leave on the acid side and you should be ok.

Sometimes you don't need the expensive orders to get you out of trouble, especially if it's not something that you will use a lot of. Those two products will set you back $10-15 total, just add a slight surcharge to the job.

Don't undersell your service though, even if she is a good customer. By all means charge a reasonable rate for the cleaning but make sure you charge seperately and appropriately for the stain treatment.

Obviously there is the qualification required before committing to the job, like alkaline salts will cause permanent damage to wool if left too long in place. You may reduce the look but may not get that last yellowing... safely.

Something else you may want to try if the above doesn't work would be a little of a sodium metabisulfite solution. I assume you will have something already in your spotting kit with that in it... offensive smelling so make sure you have adequete ventilation. I know Prochems Coffee and Tanin remover is that base. Just make sure you have THOROUGHLY rinsed the H202 out PRIOR to applying the sodium metabisulfite solution.

Take before and afters and let us know how you get on.

John

Dolly

John

I must say that was very good of you to take the time to explain in detail all of that.

You know what the shows?

You go the extra mile in your work............I am sure your a very successful fella as well you should be.

Regards

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
If the colors are stable take it home and throw out on the driveway and SHAMPOO it and flood it and rinse it with a garden hose.

You know like they do in the countries where they make rugs.
They take them down to the river and wash them.

diamond brian

Urine can be acid or alkaline. Check the pH of the stain first. If acidic, use something with alkalinity--ammonia will work. If the stain is alkaline, then use a mildly acidic solution such as vinegar or one of the aforementioned products.

Whatever you end up using, flush thoroughly with an upholstery tool or water-claw and dry the affected area prior to leaving. Many don't realize that adding water to a urine stain that has turned alkaline can cause problems on wool. Explain this phenomenon and have her sign a release accordingly.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Get rug, take to a rug cleaner. Get discount, mark up, deliver. Rug cleaned correctly, rug cleaner takes risk.

Customer thinks, "You smart guy." Tells friends.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Rug cleaned incorrectly-rug cleaners takes liability,carpet cleaner who client assumes ruined rug--very bad...Client tells all her friends even worse...

With all the above posts and how to correctly do it...

And if you have all the items needed to do it ,then do it...

Many in-plants,I have seen usually have bad spotters,or newbies at the machine...

But listen to Middleton closely,he is as right as Larry.But has more in depth detail in his post.Darlene is right about both areas.But the Stain Zone would be faster...

Duane anxious to try the liquid version.Keep me in mind will ya...

But the Great OZ has made a subtle point you should also do.Meet your local In-plant.An work with him.Many times they are unaware of the latest spotters.Out there.

Oz is a major exception Like Nathan and Lisa W...It is not just the money it is the love of how and why also...But you can send it out or as Rob Schneider sez ...You Can Do it...Charge enough...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Caesar...

I'll be more than happy to. At this point, testing is just a formality. I have one customer in particular who specializes in guaranteed pet odor removal in a residential market. He's the ultimate test, because he has a system that works. The new product will replace his "system" with one product.

This particular one is one that comes my way via one of my long- time friends in the Dalton area. He and I used to work for a dye supplier together back in 1987. He's "grown" a lot in experience and capability over the years and is a great source for me.

The new stain and soil guard, "Fiber Helmet", is due to the same friend. It's $28 per gallon in a 4 gal case, dilutes at 1 to 4 (with a resulting gallon covering 300 to 400 sq. ft.), and is truly, "state of the art".

Also new is "SmokeBeGone" and "Odor Block". I made "Odor Block" years ago under the name, "EZ G.O.C." (easy guaranteed odor control) and shelved it when I came up with PeeBeGone. But now, it's been improved in a revolutionary way and is being re- released.

It's getting pretty exciting, to put it mildly.

Duane

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom