Phone Quotes

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
For those that give estimates over the phone, what questions do you ask to gauge the square footage of your client's rooms when they have no idea? In my short time of residential cleaning I have found that not many know what the square footage of their rooms are. On top of that, there can be drastic differences between what two people consider small/large rooms. I can use county tax appraisal data, but would feel weird saying let me look up the price of your home then call you back with a quote. At this point, I don't want to give in home estimates nor do I want to give a public per room price. What I want is the the right questions to ask in order to ascertain a decent idea of how large their particular rooms are before making a phone quote. Questions I have now:
Where is your home located?
When was the last time your carpets were cleaned?
Why did you call me this time?
Do you want dressers, beds, antiques, sectionals, etc moved?
Do you want carpet protection?
Do you have any particular spots/stains/odors you want removed?
Does it need to be dry by a certain time?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
John are you charging by the room or by the square foot?

We charge by the sq/ft so when they don't know their measurements we offer to do a free estimate or we simple give the sq/ft rate. We like to give estimates though, our odds of selling go up if they allow us in there home or business. It gives us an opportunity to sell ourselves that you don't get on the phone. However if the caller has a small home then phone pricing is probably your best bet.

Over the phone questions, construction (berber, frieze, plush) color (light colors are generally going to show more soil), condition (light, moderate, heavy soiling), any special concerns (spills, staining, pet odor), traffic & open areas, vacant or furnished?

Also "how did you hear about me?"

Reactions: Wing It

hogjowl

Idiot™
I know nothing about your market, but in mine, I can almost always know the room size averages by the street they live on. That's ok now, but when I hire a phone person that's not going to fly.

Over the years, I have kept detailed records on job times and s.f. So, I have the info I need to average price jobs.

I just went to phone pricing. For over 26 years I did in/home estimates. Currently, all I am asking is:
What areas do you want cleaned?
How long since it was last cleaned?
How many people and pets are in the house?
Do you want your furniture moved and cleaned under, or do you want us to clean only the open areas?
What street do you live on?

These are the questions I ask before giving a price.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I do not have a set system in place for residential. What I am sure of, is that I prefer phone quotes for residential right now. In home quotes will probably be my preference as the business grows. All commercial bids are given on site though.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I do not have a set system in place for residential. What I am sure of, is that I prefer phone quotes for residential right now. In home quotes will probably be my preference as the business grows. All commercial bids are given on site though.

I do most commercial quotes on site, but for most residential, we can give them a pretty good "Guesstimate" via the phone.

Send me your email address and I will send you my entire phone script that has this kind of pricing included.

If anyone else wants our "rough" phone script, just send me your an email.

msags@mchsi.com

All my contact info including cell phone is on my web page except email, but you can send me an email through my "Contact us" in the upper right hand corner of my web page. www.saigers.com

My phone script talks pricing and we are per square foot, but I can do a lot of guessing and get the jobs!

Mark

Reactions: GCCLee and Wing It

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We have a range and we tell the customers that where they fall in that range depends on the "type and condition" of their carpet. My wife tells them that the tech (me) will assess these things at the time of service, providing an exact price before the cleaning begins. If they are uncomfortable with this at all, we offer free in home estimates. I really don't do a lot of those. Most people are happy with knowing the price before we begin.

I've grown pretty uncomfortable throwing prices out over the phone. Every home and situation is pretty different.

The Clean Machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am not getting into the discussion about the merits of free in home estimate versus phone estimates. That is a business decision and I am assuming that you did think it over.

I charge by the square foot and I do not provide free in home estimates.It is fairly simple:
First I give the client two choices:

1. If you'd like to know the price to the T, please provide us with the size of the rooms and I'll give you the exact price.
  2. However, most of our clients prefer a price approximation. It is not going to be the exact price, though usually I'm pretty close and it will take a few questions. Would you like one?

Usually the answer is yes.

• How many rooms do you have?
  • Are the rooms 'more or less' small medium or large?
  • (stairs, hallway etc.)
  • A few more questions that help me evaluate the ease or difficulty of the job. The ease or difficulty of the client :winky: etc. Once you've got those answers you pretty much know the size of the rooms and can calculate the price according to the way you charge. Every once in a very long while I am wrong.

I also explain to them how I charge and how much more or less it would be if the place is 100 s.f. larger or smaller.

If you've been doing this for a while, your price will rarely be more than 10% off. If you do it in an honest, light and friendly manner, most people understand and will go for the phone approximation. Actually, most of them prefer it that way.

Last edited:

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
We've done this from day one so 18 years now and it's fairly simple. We just quote room rates and tell them that anything over 150sqft will be charged accordingly as oversized. Hallways and staircases have their own prices as well as walking closets

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
We just quote room rates and tell them that anything over 150sqft will be charged accordingly as oversized. Hallways and staircases have their own prices as well as walking closets

Generally, we do the same thing. XX for up to 150, anything over that might be measured and might be more than room rate. I don't measure often, maybe a basement. Everything for me is time. I don't care about per/sqft, how long is it going to take.

Only questions(our first two) I need answered. What town are you in and how soon. If they need a day I'm booked, no point in wasting time. If an hour away, I need to know right off the bat.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Marty- I do sometimes get an idea as to the size of the home when I recognize neighborhoods. I think keeping records of the details is a great way to save money/time for the next time they call.
Mark- I will be emailing you for that phone script.
Russ- I agree with you in that every home and situation is different. I am gambling on those who are given lower quotes due to my lack of home inspection calling me back for the next cleaning willing to pay a higher, adjusted price because I "wowed" them on the first cleaning.
Ofer- what sf do you consider as small, medium and large?
Vivers- that you consider over 150sf as oversized is good to know.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&amp]
Ofer- what sf do you consider as small, medium and large?

A small room in San Francisco is about 140 square s.f.
However, the issue is to get a point of reference. Once I've establish the small room to be approximately that size, I ask them if the other room is more or less one and a quarter, one and a half the size of the small room etc.
Once you've established a correct point of reference the math is easy.

Again,I make it clear that this is an approximation to help them decide if the price is suitable for them. I make it clear that once I'm there to do the work, I'll measure it and give them an exact price before I start. If, for any reason, they don't like the price, or how we look, or ....... whatever it is they don't like...........they do not have to do the work. "We'll thank them for their time and even make an effort not to make them feel guilty."

I don't remember a single time that people decided not to do it.

Part of the whole idea is to make the whole process lighthearted, humorous, friendly and non-threatening.

Non threatening. Did you get that Marty? :winky:

[/FONT]<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

Reactions: Wing It and Russ T.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
there's been given a lot of good questions to ask

to gauge a room size by a "standard", ask them how much room would be left if you had a queen size bed in the room. From there you can use that room as a reference.

If they say a queen would almost fill the smallest room, and the master is twice as big, dining room is about 1/2 that size, and living room about the same size as the master, you now have a pretty good idea of what the rooms are.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
we have done by the area over the phone since day one.....

It took a bit...but you just go to learn how to ask the right questions..

Never been burnt......never ever have I had any problems...
I walk up to the clients door with them already knowing what to expect and I pretty much know what to expect...
If i find something beyond what we were told then I just let them know and take care of it accordingly.........

I do go out and give tile and commercial carpet estimates...

I make more then most of the estimate guys.....

Chris A

Name
Chris
we have done by the area over the phone since day one.....

It took a bit...but you just go to learn how to ask the right questions..

Never been burnt......never ever have I had any problems...
I walk up to the clients door with them already knowing what to expect and I pretty much know what to expect...
If i find something beyond what we were told then I just let them know and take care of it accordingly.........

I do go out and give tile and commercial carpet estimates...

I make more then most of the estimate guys.....

Wingo man! That's what I'm sayin 90% of the time a room is a room and we tell them that areas over 250 square feet count as two and life is good.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I like Olfers way of doing things because questions and discussion (as long as it is relevant, and the utility is obvious to the caller) focuses the conversation away from price, and places you in a different category among others she has called.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Wingo man! That's what I'm sayin 90% of the time a room is a room and we tell them that areas over 250 square feet count as two and life is good.

living room dining room combinations are considered 2 areas....

great room...( pretty same thing but labeled differently )...2 areas...

master bedrooms are charged more then a standard bed room

then you get halls...master baths....master closets..stairs....lofts.. and so on....

NEVER...break things down for them.....ask what they want cleaned and just give price.....

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Do you guys ask about the type and condition of the carpet? (I understand many won't be able to give you the real name for the carpet)

When I do my walk through I'm usually considering how much I will be using my RotoVac. How much I use it is largely determined by the type and condition of the carpet. What about wool? Pets?

Some people trash their stuff and others take good, regular care of it. Our price will reflect this.

In "Fill My Schedule" I think I will start offering 10% off for those who have us in within 12 months and 20% off those who have us in within 6. Has anyone had success with this?

All our previous pricing and notes are stored in Service Monster to help make future visits as quick and painless as possible.

The Clean Machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Russ, I ask when was the last time it was cleaned and what condition is it at.
In some rare situations when I know that the carpet is trashed I charge more (a restoration fee) particularly when there's soil saturation (mostly due to home cleaning.)

I charge extra for wool, particularly if it is a woven carpet. No extra charge for pets unless there's urine stains.

10% off if they clean within one year of the last cleaning.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Do you guys ask about the type and condition of the carpet? (I understand many won't be able to give you the real name for the carpet)

When I do my walk through I'm usually considering how much I will be using my RotoVac. How much I use it is largely determined by the type and condition of the carpet. What about wool? Pets?

Some people trash their stuff and others take good, regular care of it. Our price will reflect this.

In "Fill My Schedule" I think I will start offering 10% off for those who have us in within 12 months and 20% off those who have us in within 6. Has anyone had success with this?

All our previous pricing and notes are stored in Service Monster to help make future visits as quick and painless as possible.

The Clean Machine

We dont ask the condition....usually they will tell us with embarassment in their voices.

If its dirty, its just par for the course and most times can make us look better as we clean it up.

Pet urine situations we will charge extra for OSR treatments, but also if there is a lot of urine, we do try to discourage cleaning or really make sure they know it is not going to get a lot better with urine all over and in the pad.

We will do topical urine cleaning to try and help make better, but no guarantee....they dont always listen by the way or read the large print we will put on the invoice about that....

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.
I keep it simple for residential.
Hallway up to 100 sf $25, same with walk in closet.
Bedroom up to 150 sf $37.50
Master Bedroom up to 200 sf or dining room $50
Living room, up to 300 sf $75
Great room/rec room/den up to 400 sf $100
Stairs $2.50
Bathrooms to 100 sf $37.50 (an extra $12.50 for sanitizing the room)

This does not include anything, just prespray and extract. Not even TLC or spots, because the cheapskates need to save $25.
Dog pee $10-15 per spot. One time I find 30+ urine spots in a 1,100 sf town house. They were expecting to get off for about $175-200 and I estimated about $550. They went ballistic. I didn't drive my gas guzzling pick up to that job, I drove my 4 cylinder rice burner, because from the phone contact, I didn't expect to get the job. They ended up saying "give me $150 worth" so all I did was the living room dining room and the 15 or so spot and that was a deal. I just water clawed the spots with about 2 quarts of water, and nothing else. Calculated them at $5 each. Did it after doing another job in the area later.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee

The Clean Machine

When they say IDK
Is it fuzzy fibers standing up or loop looking? works well here : ) kinda a wtf wit a wtf is what I use on those responses.

Around here I am pretty much forced to give somesorta price "on those calls" Normally the pricing Coincides with what Stanley and BobMattFrogs are doing.

Minimum??
As an O/O it really depends on how hungry we are. Alot a variables at play here.
Example being:
I charge our neighbors $100-$150 depending on number of rooms n stairs. Not alot of furniture touching, they do it w coaching. Takes a hour to hour n a half most are around 1200-1400 sqft so... It's not a Mansion or a trailer, sorry.

If a prospective custy bucks at a $85 to $125 min based on area, it depends on my belly.

Referrals seem to work the best and pricing seems to be less subjected. Gotta win em over though!

steve_64

"$50 first room, $25 per after. stairs are considered a room L shape rooms, some master bedrooms or great rooms are 2 rooms. price is the same empty or full of furniture. moving furniture treating stains or odors, protector and vacuuming (picking up after the kids) is extra."

sometimes i estimate those things but i let them know i need to see it first. "we dont move pianos china cabinets or beds and dressers."

this gives me a starting point on the phone. "the more work i do the more i charge, plain and simple."

i can do the math in my head simply with these prices also. "most hallways and closets are free btw."

"when do you want us to come do that?" i never ask "would you" like to make an appointment.
assume its a done deal and they will more often set it right then. thats when i ask for their information too. never before but, i know its not how many do things. works great for me though.

bathrooms are still $25 but i do disinfect them also.

Last edited by a moderator:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Mrs Proffit was more than happy to empty her hutchs so we could slide em around.

I politely explained that my Insurance would cover me handling the Rare China, bit I jus couldnt live with myself.

She helped slide the Antique Dining table. Didn't think I could do it alone. I let go after getting it started and explained she was moving it alone. Instant fan!

Reminds me I need to go dump 65lbs of defoamer on her steps and give it another whirl : )
I think I can!

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
"when do you want us to come do that?" i never ask "would you" like to make an appointment.

"Did you have a specific day in mind, Mrs Smith?"

"most hallways and closets are free btw."

I generally give them the closet also, Steve.

At my rates, nothing is free. I'm in the NYC suburbs. If I hadn't bought my house a loooong time ago, I couldn't afford to live here. If it is not some nasty Section 8 dump, a one bedroom around here is about $1,000 a month and a two bedroom about $1250. Go another 15-20 miles closer to the City (where most of my work is) and you can add another $250 per month. This is my favorite town to work in... http://www.zillow.com/homes/stony-point,-ny_rb/

steve_64

"Did you have a specific day in mind, Mrs Smith?"

I generally give them the closet also, Steve.
most hallways here are pretty small. most people will let me know if the closets are walk ins or if the hall is 30 feet long. they dont want surprises neither.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom