Poisoned Water in West Virginia

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Anybody see the story - anyone here from there?

I saw a bit of the story - I guess chemicals leaked into the water and no one can use it for anything - no drinking, no bathing, no washing anything, no cooking with it and I'm guessing no carpet cleaning !!!

Restaurants have closed down etc..

I think they said 9 counties wide ..

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
It usually means you started a non cleaning-related thread in the Clean Room and a Mod moved it to a more apppropriate forum for the subject.

Reactions: Spurlington

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ther are EIGHT countys in W Virginia that have water that CAN'T be used to clean anything...
i can't believe there is a moderator or administrator here that is so myoptic
that they can't see the corilation......and would move such a thread

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
It usually means you started a non cleaning-related thread in the Clean Room and a Mod moved it to a more apppropriate forum for the subject.

Ok - I see how that would make sense ..

I was concerned about the carpet cleaners in those areas not being able to use water and wanted to know how they're making it work

I think it's a good clean room discussion - thanks for bringing it back

So ... anyone here from there?

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm from next door in Kentucky. All that water is heading our way down the Ohio. Cinncinnati and Louisville will have in in a few hours or days.

Reactions: Jeremy

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Just think if this accident was intentional!

You can't touch the Water People! Hell it will probably peel the paint off, if you wash your car wit it. And Unless some Rocket Scientists figures out how to filter the river it will just continue to spread right down into the Gulf. Americas Toilet Bowl.

The rusty ass storage tank that leaked sat right next to the freaking river. That's kind of like building on the coast below sea level!
Some one should be Hung to death for this one!

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Although I'm not a hard-core "prepper" I do think we should all have reasonable supplies on-hand (including water) in case of natual disaster or other disruption of services to last at least a few days. Having a small kit assembled could mean the difference between a huge deal and a minor inconvenience.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
we just ordered our go-bag supplies from amazon last week (packets of water/food/1st Aid/blanket/flint/world band radio receiver/water tablets.) now we just gotta pick up a couple of back-packs.

encapstore.com sells something similar iirc.

Reactions: dgardner

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Just wondering here ... would a reverse osmosis unit filter that out of the water so you could clean with it?

From a Scientific American article:

Chemists classify MCMH as an organic solvent. That means it dissolves other compounds and is made from chains of carbon bonded together. In this case it is used to separate coal from non-coal components in mined material. It is one of a long list of liquid chemicals used to wash coal

From a University of Nebraska-Lincoln report:

Some pesticides, solvents and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) are not removed by RO.

I'm not a chemist, but it sounds iffy to depend on RO.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
On the other hand, since it's basically a solvent, would exposing yourself to the vapor by extracting a carpet be any worse than breathing while standing in a room you just sprayed with a butyl-containing prespray? And if you allowed the carpet to dry and ventilated the room would there be any negative effects on the occupants?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Yeah, catch PadPrick as he goes by your place. He's headed to California.

he's a little early for the fest ain't he......maybe he wants ta try
and break Mikeys headboard...too!

i think he puts his large assed feet on the headboard ta get traction.......

Reactions: Mikey P

Buck1955

Name
John
West "By GOD" Virginia used to be part of my sales territory in the 80's. And I've ridden motorcycles in a bit of it. There was a town called Nitro that was the scariest town you've ever seen. Dow had a plant there the same as the one that failed in Bhopal affecting a half million people! The people in the state are scary, I'd see kids with tats and knifes, Little kids had to play by the road because their backyard is a mountain. And the triaxles hauling coal coming down the mountains right in your rearview mirror. Bottom line is everything GOD did in West Virgina was wild and wonderful, everything man did was horrible.

If you haven't seen the HBO special called The Wild and wonderful Whites of West Virginia you HAVE to see it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom