Polyester carpet woes

Lonny

Supportive Member
I am having a miserable time once in a while bringing back poly carpet to life.
It simply get matted and squished, is significantly darker on the traffic lanes, and is a pain in the backside to make it look substantially better-compared to nylon.
Anyone do anything different on this to get better results? post peroxide?

Mike Draper

sometimes we are forced to clean that dirt cheap builders grade poly when instead it should be burned. Sometimes the only thing you can do is nuke it. A heavy PH mixed with hot water and 40 vol. Not to hot or else its like a volcano foam science experiment :icon_redface:. Let it dwell for a little and pre-scrub or use a rotary on it. This is what we do on the real bad ones, maybe only a few times per year. It makes a considerable difference. If there are any other tricks I'd love to hear them.

Reactions: Lonny
Can you really do much for that cheap stuff from Home Depot or Lowes? I see a lot of it. It is always crushed and uglied out. This is my "nuclear option" for the polys. One of the most expensive I use at around $13.50 per gallon. I always use a rinse agent. The most important thing is to prequalify the job. You can't make it new. Poly is "oil loving" and a pain to clean. You can get it reasonably clean, but as for the crushing, you should explain that up front.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Your favorite high ph cleaner boosted double with peroxide and scrubbed in. Flush with the hottest water you can and add ammonia to your rinse to react with peroxide. Works fairly well. I recently did a pure white one and she called and thanked me.
gene

Becker

Name
Becker
I have a long time client who just moved to CA, and called to book a final cleaning as their house hits the market.
He then sez, Don, our new house has nylon. He then sez, you know I told my wife over and over when we replaced our carpet 5 years ago, Don sez nylon, but she liked this other, sales guy showed her the warranty ( lol ) . Carpet they had before was poly builder crap, I had suggested Nylon when they replace.
Needless to say I was disappointed the 1st time I cleaned their new carpet, needless to say they learned their lesson.

The job turned out pretty good, they have always been a family hard on their carpet.

Sucks to loose the client, nice family, but one less Poly I'll be cleaning.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
40 vol. Not to hot or else its like a volcano foam science experiment :icon_redface:.

byduhy7a.jpg

Ua think he's lying try yur damn selves. I did : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
poly begs for agitation
to condense what's been said;

nuke with firewater
roto scrub
flush/rinse extract with the hottest water you can make

..L.T.A.

C&S

Name
Scott
I use prespray boosted with stain zone, helps alot.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
A carpet can be clean and still be ugly. This happens a lot with poly. Crimp loss, crushing, matting. Once you have the soil out there is no soil left to remove no matter how strong your cleaning solution is.

Reactions: SamIam

Lonny

Supportive Member
Thanks guys. I almost always scrub, if it's not bad the crb, if bad the pad and buffer come out. I explain the abrasion resistance differential between nylon and poly upfront, but hate to see carpet that has such a differential when I am all done.

steve_64

I've never tried Dinge a way, would that help?
i got some from Alladins which is near me. Joe is a good guy and he turned me onto this since i clean a lot of apartments.

it works. it took some getting use to but its made a big difference in how some look once they have dried. i used it on my moms carpet last year and the results are worth it.

i like using my certified pile lifter on the nasty ones more than the rotary. i think it restores the nap much better and is lighter and easier to use than the rotary. it takes up less room in the van too. i keep that in the van and only break out the rotary when i know im doing CDG.

of course this is just my experience but i am getting great results on polyester using this combo. again it took some practice and experimenting to get it right.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Powermax or flex powder with citrus. Rotary with blue pad with green stripes. Have extra Citrus spotter in bottle you can spray and kick also. Flush with a premium detergent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Able 1

Name
Keith
The trouble is by the time you use enough to make a difference the cost is unmanageable. I would stick with the agitation.

Same with carpet protector, but shhh the custy doesn't know that!

I'll have you guys couch me through my next one, fact is it's total GARBAGE!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I used to HATE cleaning the poly frieze's that have been common for years. I don't mind them at all anymore. You just have to scrub them. I use a CRB machine and it makes a huge difference. my house was a spec house that had the cheapest poly frieze they could find to put in, you can actually see light through the carpet backing. The carpet is now 7 years old and had more traffic than you can imagine. yet I still manage to get it looking decent after a cleaning, to the point of if I was to sell the house the buyers would not be thinking we MUST chuk the carpets.

I actually think poly performs better when its in a LESS dense pile, super thick polys will always be terrible to clean.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I used to HATE cleaning the poly frieze's that have been common for years. I don't mind them at all anymore. You just have to scrub them. I use a CRB machine and it makes a huge difference. my house was a spec house that had the cheapest poly frieze they could find to put in, you can actually see light through the carpet backing. The carpet is now 7 years old and had more traffic than you can imagine. yet I still manage to get it looking decent after a cleaning, to the point of if I was to sell the house the buyers would not be thinking we MUST chuk the carpets.

I actually think poly performs better when its in a LESS dense pile, super thick polys will always be terrible to clean.

Steve, that is an interesting theory. Normally a fiber that has poor resiliency will crush and mat worse because it has no support from other yarns. Can you explain why you think less density is better?

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Steve, that is an interesting theory. Normally a fiber that has poor resiliency will crush and mat worse because it has no support from other yarns. Can you explain why you think less density is better?

bill, yes I will explain why I feel that way. perhaps this may have to do with changes in fiber contruction methods. thick saxony type polyesters that we saw quite a bit say in the 90's those carpets don't clean well at all they are tuff they show heavy nap reversal and pile crush. the problem with polyester in my view is that all the fibers just fall over one way and are very difficult to be able to pull back up with standard cleaning methods. This traps dirt and debris on the side that the fibers have fallen over on.

in a frieze style construction you are depending on longer fibers making up for a lack of pile density. Polyester fibers fall over regardless of the style of construction. So in a short cheap polyster frieze type contruction these problems are mitigated by shorter fibers and less pile density. a CRB machine or 175 is able to get to all of the fibers better and at the same your truckmount is able to lift those short cheap fibers straight with heat and vacuum much better than longer and or denser fibers.

polyester is actually an extremely durable fiber and it has some stain resistant advantages, If you do things that address these disadvantages, high PH oil cutting prespray coupled with agitation your making up for the disadvantages of poly. I never thought the cheap and I mean really cheap poly frieze in my house would be looking like it is 7 years later with 5 kids and a dog trampling it all day long. If this is a $10/yard carpet one must factor in it being cheaper in the long run to replace a couple times rather than spending $30 bucks on a good nylon. One area that is really tuff those for my cheap poly is on stairs that is the situation that makes it really difficult. Further I would say this if you replaced the construction of my carpet with nylon I think it would look far worse right now, wow I can't believe I would ever say that about a poly carpet.

Reactions: billyeadon

Lonny

Supportive Member
I'm not convinced that poly is a durable fiber at all. Especially compared to nylon. I have never heard of a ballistic polyester jacket.

Reactions: GCCLee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom