Portable electric inline heater???

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Any one use one? Do they work as well as they say they do?
Any one have a used one that works well that they want to get rid of?
Pm me if you do.

Any input would be great!

John Watson

If they had one that worked well why would they get rid of it???

Sorry just had to be me.....................................

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i am looking for one. maybe someone upgraded to a tm and has one laying around that worked well when they were using a porty!

think it threw!!

steve r

ive got one i use with my bane.

it works but it is inconsistent.

depends on how warm the water is to start and how much you trigger the wand.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
SteamBrite sells the tool box kind mentioned above. Comes in many different config. depending how many cords you want to run.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have a 2ht propane heater I can let go for $1,000 plus shipping

Greenie

If you want HEAT on a hot box, you are gonna be looking at a 220v set up, impossible to get that from a single 110v cord heater.

Rex Tyus

If you want HEAT on a hot box, you are gonna be looking at a 220v set up, impossible to get that from a single 110v cord heater.

That is actually a good idea. A dryer or stove outlet would be the ticket. When I used Banes I would frequently have to hook up to the washer outlet as it was the only 20 amp breaker in the joint. Hooking up to the dryer shouldn't be much more difficult.

Does anyone currently make a 220v box or is this an opportunity?

TimP

I don't think you could get the heat from a dryer receptical (30 amps) to heat the water fast enough. There just isn't enough amperage to do it. I've got an electric tankless water heater for our home and it will heat water pretty well but it's on a 100 amp breaker and it's a 24 KW heater, it's capable at 1 gpm to raise the temp of water 163.2 degrees. An 11 KW heater which draws 58 amps and needs more than what a range (stove 50 amps) puts outlet has available and will produce a 140 degree rise at .5 gpm 74.8 degree rise at 1 gpm. I think you need a lot more amperage than what is gonna be available. And these heaters are 98%+ efficient. I guess 170-190 would be fine but keep in mind you have to find one that handles high pressure then running the wire to get that kind of amperage is gonna be probably a 6 gage wire if you're gonna be at any decent length from the power source. Then you're limited on your flow cause you sure aren't going to get the heat to run more than .5-.7 gpm. It's probably not near as feasible as using a LP heater. I'd say you guys with portys should just get the 3ht little giant and call it a day.

Rex Tyus

I don't see how it would be practical to use a LG with a porty. Most portys require positioning inside the home.

TimP

I don't know either. All I know is electric isn't gonna get you much heat unless you got tons of power. However I'd think running a pump in the van with a heater hooked up to a fresh tank or a water hose would be a solution. Like with a TM, with a tank you could dump in your rinse stuff. I don't know at what point though if it's really worth it to get set up to do it t his way financially.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Rex Tyus said:
I don't see how it would be practical to use a LG with a porty. Most portys require positioning inside the home.

something to think about.......................

under my kitchen sink I installed one of the instahot water heaters for Tia.........so when she gets up in the morning she can just put here cup under it and have steaming hot water right away.........mine only runs off of 120 volts and I can stand there and hold it wide open and it is always to hot to touch.........could'nt one just hook one of these into the incoming feed to there portable mount it on it some where and just plug it in while filling......you would have very hot water every time.........

http://www.tradekey.com/selloffer_view/id/604789.htm

TimP

Jim, sounds like it might be something to think about. But does this use a tank to heat first. Or is it heating the water on the fly? Also how much is your homes water heater helping the water heat up? If we are counting on a homes water heater to keep up we need to keep in mind after a while that it wont be able to keep up as they use 50 amps. And have the same effect as an 11 KW inline heater.

Rex Tyus

We have gotten a bit off track here but Tim you are comparing the amperage requirement for a whole house water heater to the needs of an in line heater for a portable extractor. I would have to do some research but with 220 volts it is conceivable to raise the temperature of tap water to a respectable cleaning temp.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
TimP said:
Jim, sounds like it might be something to think about. But does this use a tank to heat first. Or is it heating the water on the fly? Also how much is your homes water heater helping the water heat up? If we are counting on a homes water heater to keep up we need to keep in mind after a while that it wont be able to keep up as they use 50 amps. And have the same effect as an 11 KW inline heater.

it heats in its own tank "on the fly"........mine is hooked into the cold water...as pre the instructions.........

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We had Kleenrite build us a couple 240v in-line heaters for our shop use. There was no easy gas in that part of the shop, and we wanted to raise the water temperature from 120 degree water heater temp. We get about 140 degree water out of them. Not great but OK for cleaning upholstery.

Using a single 120v unit, I wouldn't think there would be enough heat gain at a high enough volume to do much good when cleaning carpet.

Unless the water recirculated into the portable tank to keep raising the temperature in small increments.

Greenie

It's definitely all about the volume.

Most who seek elec. heat are just trying to knock the cold out, and they generally aren't flowing more than .5 or .75 gpm, and they try to fill with warm water in the first place, so I do think you could make a 220v heater work, only ones I know of are the Volcano heaters, Fast Eddie has one he seemed to think it was adequate for his porty.

I think the trick to making the whole porty in the house thing work out on a two story 2500 sq. ft. house is 2" hose and parallel vac motors for 200 cfm, quite a few guys running 75' of hose with this set up, but it would drive me crazy, I'd be squirreling away some cash for a TM.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You ask if they are as good as they say they are. I don't know how good you have been told they work. But as others have posted, there is only so much heat you can get from a single 110 volt heater.

A 2000 watt heater will give a 21 to 28 degree temperature rise depending on the volume of water you use and the duty cycle - How much time the wand is keyed open compared to how much time it is closed.

The output temperature depends on the input temperature as well as volume and duty cycle.

Scott Warrington

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I used the 2ht on a dolly setup for years and never had a problem but If I did I bet it would have been a big problem

TimP

Bob, I guess I'm wrong. No wonder they don't keep up.

Mine is on 100 amp breaker so I was just going on memory since I didn't put a normal breaker on my home. I didn't realize that they only used 4500 watts. Makes sense, thanks for keeping us straight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom