Porty Advice

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I have a Sandia Sniper 3-500 H and I use a Rotovac Powerwand. I am selling the Powerwand to buy a 360. I'm thinking of selling the Sandia and buying a Rotovac CFX due to the continuous flow and dump. The Sandia is only 4 months old. Is this a mistake?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
What brand of pump is in the porty? MOST high pressure portable pumps don't have the testicles to give enough flow or pressure for a rotovac.

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Mine is 500 but now that I re-read rotovac's page, they claim that faucet pressure is enough but I'm not sure about that. You can buy the Ranger which adds a 250 psi pump. (should have bought a TM)

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I'm thinking of selling the Sandia and buying a Rotovac CFX due to the continuous flow and dump. . Is this a mistake?

You are on the right track. I want to pick up a CFX just because it's so cool. James Bond cool. You're looking at truck mount power in something the size of an airplane carry-on. It works awesome with the 360i. But it is problematic if you intend to crank out job after job for months and months. And months. It won't hold up on it's own. The better choice is the Mytee Air Hog Plus/ Water Box combo. It's what I use. This is the new standard for porty users who want to do high quality volume work. More power than the dual 3 stage CFX and an actual usable waste tank capacity (if need be) if you don't auto pump out. Call Olson at Superior and he'll send one to your front door.

Reactions: John LaBarbera

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Mine is 500 but now that I re-read rotovac's page, they claim that faucet pressure is enough but I'm not sure about that. You can buy the Ranger which adds a 250 psi pump. (should have bought a TM)

I learned real quick you can't drive your TM in the mall dude! Just saying .... Porty's are a part of it.

Chris

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
You are on the right track. . . .
The better choice is the Mytee Air Hog Plus/ Water Box combo. It's what I use. This is the new standard for porty users who want to do high quality volume work. More power than the dual 3 stage CFX and an actual usable waste tank capacity (if need be) if you don't auto pump out.

I agree. I think the Mytee Air Hog Plus/ Water Box combo is a great system.

Very High Performance @ only 79# for both pieces of equipment.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85&products_id=4973

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Willy P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Be very weary of relying on a system where you MUST run a continuous fill line and pump out line inside someones home. Once a hose is connected from a machine to a sink and PRESSURIZED, a lot can go wrong. Sink connections can develop leaks, hoses can pop off under pressure especially when moving the machine, pump out lines can work their way out of whatever drain you placed them etc., all while you are oblivious to a developing issue because your 3 rooms away and can't hear shit because your machine is wailing away. Do not underestimate sink pressure. It's the same pressure in a garden hose that can throw a stream 30 feet, now inside someones home.
Having to always set up near a water source also limits your mobility and range which can be a problem within certain layouts. You will find yourself having to run a lot more hose indoors because you can't get your machine as close as you want to.
I have also found that continuous pump out filters on most porty's can be undersized and easily clogged. Having to troubleshoot a portable with a live water source to it is a pain in the ass. There are also a lot of new sinks out there with odd adapters that do not seat correctly. Then what are you gonna do??
I have not autofilled on a residential job in a long time, and I don't plan to. I do sometimes pump-out, which is a lot safer.

A true Porty Hacks best friend is a 5 gallon bucket. Learn to sling one like a pro. The ideal hookup, if possible, is to hook up in a bathroom that has a tub in close proximity. Make yourself a 5 foot lead hose, and fill like this......

View attachment 1145

This allows you to SAFELY fill your bucket without having to stand there watching it. Set the flow rate according to your estimated return time needing more water and keep moving. This can cut serious time off many jobs an is the safest method of dealing with the dangers of water inside someone else's home.

The few.....The proud......The Porty-Hack.

Reactions: Mikey P

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
where's the plumber when we need him?

Pressures will vary in homes due to the PRV but Im sure that Resi taps are (atleast around here) in the ballpark of 40psi

Goomer at first I was like WTF man, fill it from the spicket!

Then I was like OOOOOOOhhhhhhh, freaking rocket scientist.

Chris

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Be very weary of relying on a system where you MUST run a continuous fill line and pump out line inside someones home. Once a hose is connected from a machine to a sink and PRESSURIZED, a lot can go wrong. Sink connections can develop leaks, hoses can pop off under pressure especially when moving the machine, pump out lines can work their way out of whatever drain you placed them etc., all while you are oblivious to a developing issue because your 3 rooms away and can't hear shit because your machine is wailing away. Do not underestimate sink pressure. It's the same pressure in a garden hose that can throw a stream 30 feet, now inside someones home.
Having to always set up near a water source also limits your mobility and range which can be a problem within certain layouts. You will find yourself having to run a lot more hose indoors because you can't get your machine as close as you want to.
I have also found that continuous pump out filters on most porty's can be undersized and easily clogged. Having to troubleshoot a portable with a live water source to it is a pain in the ass. There are also a lot of new sinks out there with odd adapters that do not seat correctly. Then what are you gonna do??
I have not autofilled on a residential job in a long time, and I don't plan to. I do sometimes pump-out, which is a lot safer.

A true Porty Hacks best friend is a 5 gallon bucket. Learn to sling one like a pro. The ideal hookup, if possible, is to hook up in a bathroom that has a tub in close proximity. Make yourself a 5 foot lead hose, and fill like this......

View attachment 1145

This allows you to SAFELY fill your bucket without having to stand there watching it. Set the flow rate according to your estimated return time needing more water and keep moving. This can cut serious time off many jobs an is the safest method of dealing with the dangers of water inside someone else's home.

The few.....The proud......The Porty-Hack.

I don't find it that terrifying to hook a high pressure TM line to a well formulated fucet adaptor available at any hardware store. I do it on every porty setup. I look first for a utility sink otherwise I will find one usable source to hook to. I drape a towel over the hookup to avoid any disasters:
novawoods011.jpg

John Olson

Name
John Olson
79? I'm ordering 100 from you tomorrow! Your going to honor that price right? :) merry christmas...

Scott Rogers

Dan, do you have enough work to truly justify modification or replacement of 4 month old equipment? If not resist the urge. these are not necessary improvements and winter is coming fast. THe equipment you have now is more then capable of doing the job for starting out.

you will find much more improvement by getting sufficient heat then a increase of pressure/flow at the point your at now IMO. If you have already out grown your Sandia/RV combo.Great, then your ready for a truckmount.

and you can run a RV power wand off faucet pressure.You dont need to replace it for a 360. the power wand is a great tool. its about flow not pressure. replace the jets as needed but do not surpass ability to recover

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Madsen

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I don't find it that terrifying to hook a high pressure TM line to a well formulated fucet adaptor available at any hardware store. I do it on every porty setup. I look first for a utility sink otherwise I will find one usable source to hook to. I drape a towel over the hookup to avoid any disasters:
novawoods011.jpg

A utility sink is a great option to have, but I don't run into them too often. The fact that the sink threads are part of the faucet head are a nice benefit and usually give a solid connection. It's using a sink/hose adapter that I have grown frustrated with because I have found the connection between the standard sink threads and the hose adapter will be the weakest link usually leaking or blowing off all together. Many times I have returned to find hot water spraying across a bathroom or spraying and dripping down the hose to the floor. A towel is effective with a little leak, but only a bandaid. After too many near disasters, I found myself paranoid and uneasy whenever I hooked up my autofill inside someones home, and found much relief and peace of mind with a well planned bucket brigade. Most of the time I am a one man band, so having to check a sink connection every few minutes due to my own paranoia is not worth it. I prefer shorter shorter vac/sol runs and a more mobile porty setup.

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Dan, do you have enough work to truly justify modification or replacement of 4 month old equipment? If not resist the urge. these are not necessary improvements and winter is coming fast. THe equipment you have now is more then capable of doing the job for starting out.

you will find much more improvement by getting sufficient heat then a increase of pressure/flow at the point your at now IMO. If you have already out grown your Sandia/RV combo.Great, then your ready for a truckmount.

and you can run a RV power wand off faucet pressure.You dont need to replace it for a 360. the power wand is a great tool. its about flow not pressure. replace the jets as needed but do not surpass ability to recover

You're right about the amount of work, it's a pain getting started. I just wanted to make sure I have equipment that can do an outstanding job. I figured I'd get the most out of it I can. I'm one of those guys who obsesses on doing the best job possible. The guy from Cobb suggested I replace my three stage lambs for some higher grade ones. And after a lot of thought, the bucket brigade is alright by me. I am however very interested in the mytee etm down the rode when justifiable. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers

You're right about the amount of work, it's a pain getting started. I just wanted to make sure I have equipment that can do an outstanding job. I figured I'd get the most out of it I can. I'm one of those guys who obsesses on doing the best job possible. The guy from Cobb suggested I replace my three stage lambs for some higher grade ones. And after a lot of thought, the bucket brigade is alright by me. I am however very interested in the mytee etm down the rode when justifiable. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

the equipment you currently have is more then sufficient to do a great job. concentrate on marketing and building up a customer list. Learn good techniques and worry about the upgrades when you have more work then time. Upgrades dont make you a better cleaner they make you a more efficient cleaner.

Good luck bud, hope you have a great new year!

Reactions: Soxpac

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
You too buddy!!!

the equipment you currently have is more then sufficient to do a great job. concentrate on marketing and building up a customer list. Learn good techniques and worry about the upgrades when you have more work then time. Upgrades dont make you a better cleaner they make you a more efficient cleaner.

Good luck bud, hope you have a great new year!

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art did you get rid of your truck mount?

Oh heck no. Still have the Pro1200. Gotta have a TM especially since I work alone. But I was able to keep it off many days this year using the TM van as a delivery unit while I used the Mytee Air Hog in it's place. The experiment was highly successful. Shaved about 500 hours off the TM usage this year, only putting 500 hours on it instead of the usual 1000. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :biggrin:

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I plan on doing some more advertising in a few weeks. Ive done the Google thing and Ive done the mail out thing. I hate advertising. Being as I don't have a ton of money like the guys who spend over a grand a month on it, I'm frustrated with it. Would you guys invest in door hangers? Here where I live , there are a ton of apt complexes. Problem is 90% of the are owned by the same two companies. Ive emailed and flyered them to no avail. What type of advertising would you do first starting out? I appreciate it everyone.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
What type of advertising would you do first starting out?

Most internet marketing/advertising can be done for free, that's what I would spend my extra time on.

steve_64

I plan on doing some more advertising in a few weeks. Ive done the Google thing and Ive done the mail out thing. I hate advertising. Being as I don't have a ton of money like the guys who spend over a grand a month on it, I'm frustrated with it. Would you guys invest in door hangers? Here where I live , there are a ton of apt complexes. Problem is 90% of the are owned by the same two companies. Ive emailed and flyered them to no avail. What type of advertising would you do first starting out? I appreciate it everyone.

i have quite a few apartments. if they are happy with thier cleaner its tough to get in. offer a free demo if they seem interested. dont do a whole apartment but maybe just a traffic lane. offer a low price with the ability to charge more for stains and odors. they charge that back to the residents deposit sothey keep thier price low while you can earn more.

and you need to find the decision maker and get a face to face. junk mail goes in the trash.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I totally agree with Frank. Good advise.

And wow Art, I know that I will run hoops around a building, doing anything I can to avoid using my portable. I wonder how many truck mount owners are doing what Art does (if they don't absolutely have to.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom