PowerClean Genesis NXT 5.9 Advice for potential sale

Name
DBM
Hello All,

I am a new member on this board and new to the carpet cleaning business aswell, i look forward to learning and sharing information of this board. I need some advice on a Powerclean Genesis 5.9 NXT.
I ran into a PC Genesis NXT 5.9 for sale for 12000.00 Here are the specs
Genesis 5.9 a dual wand machine 2200 hours, nissan engine 49ph EFI Newer Roots Blower Stainless Steel Frame and Recovery Tank, Cat Pump 5.0
comes w 150feet of used hoses and solution hose and vac. 1 wand, 1 upholstery tool from hydramaster drymaster tool
Owner says every 600 hours the radiator starts leaking and that it needs to be reconditioned (radiator) for the leak to stop.
He says that he is downgrading and that he no longer need the machine. He says that this machine can dual wand at 400 feet with 220 heat all day.
I have been doing some research on it and i heard the ecu becomes a problem and machine start shutting off after 45 min. i dont know if that problem is with all PC Genesis NXT.
I dont know too much about this machine, any good and bad experiences, please let me know. I will be going to see the machine next week.
Any powerclean genesis owner, i would like your experiences and thoughts about this machine. Any one with information that i should know are welcome :smile:

Thanks again guys.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Hello All,

I am a new member on this board and new to the carpet cleaning business aswell, i look forward to learning and sharing information of this board. I need some advice on a Powerclean Genesis 5.9 NXT.
I ran into a PC Genesis NXT 5.9 for sale for 12000.00 Here are the specs
Genesis 5.9 a dual wand machine 2200 hours, nissan engine 49ph EFI Newer Roots Blower Stainless Steel Frame and Recovery Tank, Cat Pump 5.0
comes w 150feet of used hoses and solution hose and vac. 1 wand, 1 upholstery tool from hydramaster drymaster tool
Owner says every 600 hours the radiator starts leaking and that it needs to be reconditioned (radiator) for the leak to stop.
He says that he is downgrading and that he no longer need the machine. He says that this machine can dual wand at 400 feet with 220 heat all day.
I have been doing some research on it and i heard the ecu becomes a problem and machine start shutting off after 45 min. i dont know if that problem is with all PC Genesis NXT.
I dont know too much about this machine, any good and bad experiences, please let me know. I will be going to see the machine next week.
Any powerclean genesis owner, i would like your experiences and thoughts about this machine. Any one with information that i should know are welcome :smile:

Thanks again guys.

Hi. I have a 2003 Genesis 59, with the Ford carberated engine, so I can't help you with any ECU. As for the radiator, I had to replace mine at about the 10 year mark. I fortunatly had an extra with the Genesis parts machine I bought. There are a few NXT owners on the board here that might be able to help with the ECU problems. I think I looked at that machine last year. Where is this machine located? Also......contact Guaranteed Cleaning in Chicago. http://www.guaranteedcleaningsupply.com/ The ex-Powerclean owners/mechanics have opened that company in Chicago. Ask for Jim Nape....he designed and built those machines.

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would pass no matter what the price.

You want a reliable machine that works everyday not breakdown.

It would be a bad business decision.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I to would pass on this machine. There should be many posts here if you do a search.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you had experience with TM's and didn't mind the occasional tinkering then sure. As a first machine, find something more bullet proof and spend your time cleaning not repairing or sourcing parts.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
For the right price, I would take this machine. I've wrenched on my Genesis 59, 2003 model for 11 years......just never dealt with an ECU equipt machine.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I run a PowerClean albeit not a Genesis. Knowing what I do now, if were starting a new business I would not choose a PowerClean. They can have great heat and vac but are not dependable enough and require too much tinkering.

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
At least the owner told you about the radiator issues. That (to me) seems to be a big or rather huge red flag regardless of price. He didn't get very many hours out of it to have to replace (recondition) the radiator 3 to 4 times so far?

Downsizing? sounds like he's looking to get rid of a headache.

Hope someone can shed light on what would cause the radiator to shit the bed so quickly.

I'd keep beating the bushes. Use the search feature. There's lots of posts regarding PowerClean systems.

Welcome to Mikeysboard and Good Luck with your decision!
Bill Morgan

Name
DBM
For the right price, I would take this machine. I've wrenched on my Genesis 59, 2003 model for 11 years......just never dealt with an ECU equipt machine.

are ECU Tm machine problematic? Compared to a Carburator engine? Which type of genesis are strong and reliable? How about a Fox 8500-D used and restored with 3000 original hours? They want 13000 for the FOX A15 Nissan Dual wand. Which do you recommend for a first tm machine?

Name
DBM
Hello Shane,

I appreciate your advice from a experience powerclean owner. When you say "tinkering" that means problems and repairs, correct? This owner said that powerclean is reiliable and it would be a good choice for commercial cleaning due to the engine Nissan 49PH EFI 59 roots blower, cat pump etc. Are they over engineered like the ACE 860? What type of problems are these machines knowed for? Thanks

Name
DBM
Hello Bill,

Thanks for the concerns of this tm. Yes he said, at 600 to 700 hrs the radiator starts leaking and its a quick fix repair is 100 dollars to weld and reconditioned. Therefore, i wanted to get your guys opinion about this particular machine, Im not knowledable of the genesis nxt. People will say anything to get the sale. He wanted 12000 for the tm. i told him the price is high for me so he called me a couple days later and lowered it 10000. I am still not sure about buying this tm as my first due to the problems i hear about them. i will look into other post about powerclean genesis. Thank you very much Mr. Bill Morgan.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
That's the machine I have and owned since new in 2004.

I have never had any of the issues you are relating about the ecu or unexplained shut downs. It has had a good cross section of work from primarily floods and commercial in its early days through to a slight change with more domestic over the last year or so but still doing floods and commercial as well.

I have two issues with it. The chemical injection system has never worked consistently and I'm yet to find a good option to replace.

Secondly, the belts need replacing every 6-9 months. I can get 9-12 months out of them, but risk them going in the middle of a job, so I usually replace them before they become an issue.

John

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
That's the machine I have and owned since new in 2004.

I have never had any of the issues you are relating about the ecu or unexplained shut downs. It has had a good cross section of work from primarily floods and commercial in its early days through to a slight change with more domestic over the last year or so but still doing floods and commercial as well.

I have two issues with it. The chemical injection system has never worked consistently and I'm yet to find a good option to replace.

Secondly, the belts need replacing every 6-9 months. I can get 9-12 months out of them, but risk them going in the middle of a job, so I usually replace them before they become an issue.

John

John......does your machine have an injection pump, or is it just a gravity feed like my 03 Genesis? On mine, the draw all depends on the incoming water pressure and flow, and also the APO, if equipt. The APO, if like mine, draws water from the system to prime the Jabsco pump, thus lowering the incoming water volume and draw. Also on my TM, I use a Kinetico water softner, which also draws water from the incoming system to recharge. So if the softner is recharging, and the APO is running, there is much less water flow to draw from the solution tank. Now, if you have a holding tank and pressurized system, you shouldn't have trouble with the solution draw.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Hello Shane,

I appreciate your advice from a experience powerclean owner. When you say "tinkering" that means problems and repairs, correct? This owner said that powerclean is reiliable and it would be a good choice for commercial cleaning due to the engine Nissan 49PH EFI 59 roots blower, cat pump etc. Are they over engineered like the ACE 860? What type of problems are these machines knowed for? Thanks
Your getting into business to clean carpets and make money, you don't need a piece of equipment that requires more of your time than necessary. I really believe you can find a better unit to start your business with and one that will come with manufacture and dealer support. You might want to contact Doug Cox from this board as he has a Genesis and has a lot of experience working on it.

Reactions: DBMServicesLLC

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Yep- After fixing the ECU, I conquered the worst issue I've dealt with, although a new ECU runs around 600 bucks to do it yourself. The problem is where the ECU is located. The radiator is not a big issue. In 8000 hrs, I've replaced my radiator once and just had it rebuilt for 300 bucks. IMO opinion, the biggest issue is the pulley system. The pulleys are too small and tend to burn through belts. I just replaced my pulleys ( to larger ones) this last winter at a cost of about 250 bucks, doing it myself, although if you were to wait too long, you might not find a pulley made to fit a Nissan engine, since the Nissan engine hasn't been used for a few years now. IMO, this is a high maintenance machine, not for use by an employee or anybody with limited mechanical ability. Would I buy that machine for 10 grand? Hell ya!! It's a great machine, when running correctly will produce awesome heat and vac. There are also a few parts on that machine that may fail and put you out of business because they are hard to find. I learned early on to purchase any "Weak Link" part in the event of a failure, since Powerclean was a PIA to get parts from. Kinda like right now. Another potential problem you might deal with is the diverter system. Depending on what year the machine is, you will either have an electric or vacuum actuated system. The electric system is a potential problem. I can fix anything that goes wrong and can see a problem before it occurs, so I'm always ahead of it. Hope this helps. P.S If nothing else, they're good looking machine

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
DBM,

What is your target market? 100% Commercial? 100% Residential? 50/50? 75/25?
Are you a 1 man band or will you have a helper working ahead of you vacuuming, prespraying/spotting, pulling hoses so you can keep the wand moving? Or will you have a helper on a 2nd wand each running independently?
How mechanically inclined are you? Would you be able to replace belts, change oil, water pump seals, blower oil/grease, HX'ers, other misc equipment, maintenance, parts, etc?
What's your experience in the cleaning profession? Have you worked for someone else for a few years and now is your opportunity to
make a break and live your dream? Or do you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you thought you'd be rich and bullet proof with a big TM wedged in your van?

I can appreciate the lure and attraction of a big truckmount. I "appreciate" girls with big boobs too.. no offense Roxy! :)
The idea of getting a big engine, huge blower, 2 wand capable machine with low hours at a (relatively) good price.. is blinding. It makes it hard to really consider all of the other, equally important business decisions you need to weigh BESIDES just your type
or brand of truckmount.

Get some paper.. make 2 columns.. Pros vs. Cons. Is there anyone who can help you with this who can give you an unbiased opinion? Otherwise you will simply use this to justify and convince yourself of the reasons why you have to buy this TM against all sane reasoning/

Pros

Sexy to the new carpet cleaner/business man
Nissan engine- proven
Big vac blower- 5.9
Good heat- triple hx
Reliable (so says the owner trying to sell it)
Big Boobs :very_drunk: sorry, one track mind

Cons- issues you might have

Nissan engines not used anymore
ECU failures- excessive engine heat
Unknown Radiator issues
Diverter system
Pulley too small- breaks belts
High maintenance for employees
no longer made
parts might be really hard to find- see Nissan engines above
limited support
Reliability depends who you talk to

Don't get me wrong.. you might be able to figure out all the issues inexpensively or you might have to spend some coin to correct all the flaws and have one serious bad-ass truckmount that will last you a long long time and you'll never lose a minutes sleep. All the dumb ass naysayers will have to eat crow. Maybe you'll just get lucky and get a TM that only has a little radiator problem and you can live with it just fine. Or, it could completely go in the other direction. You'll lose your shirt in repair bills, be down for days trying to hunt down a nearly non existant part, pay a ransom for it, eventually lose customers, get a negative reputation not because you're a bad person but because of equipment issues, etc..

I've been there, done that.. and am still trying to get things straightened out and rolling in the right direction again. Yes, I dream of someday getting a nicer, newer to me, shiney'er, bigger system and I look for "barn-finds" but most are not all that great.

The Fox 8500 D is a big ass TM too... big engine, blower, pump, nice boo... nevermind. Not too many cleaners on this board use them. I read their heat is not great but adequate. That can be fixed though. One of their key features is their 8 gal pumpout tank. I think Jim Eckman had some experience with Fox. Drop him a PM or do a search on the Fox truckmount.

Just look at all the facts as they really are now; not how you wish, want, hope them to be in the future.

All the best to you. Keep us all informed. And remember always ask questions. Some on here might give you grief but don't worry. Just research all the past posts you can and if you still don't have a clear answer... ask! Just like you are doing now.

Bill

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Umm Larry.. I know your stuck with it and that really sucks. I mean it REALLY REALLY SUCKS! but come on. You should dump that thing for cost and be done with it,

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom