Powermatic Mechanics

Jamesh921

Name
James
There is a black wire that is connected to the hot lead on the back of the temp gauge. This wire is short and connects into the top of the temp guage on the back. What does this wire do?

The reason I ask is because this wire broke off inside the guage and was shorting out my machine. I can't reconnect it (that I can tell). I've taped it off for now, but I have no idea what it will affect. Does anybody know?

Thanks,
James

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Well, you wouldn't get an accurate temp read. The burner should be controled through the temp dial, regardless of what the gauge reads. When I ran my PM years ago, the temp gauge was intermittant, but the burner still cycled at the temp set on the dial.

Check with Larry Cap (meat), or Loran England......they run PM's daily.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I am not all that mechanical, and when it comes to wires, I try not to mess with them much. I assume if everything else is working, it's not a big deal, but you might try someone like Dave Nalley who owns Steam Way now, or Jeff at Steam Way Express out east.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Loren Egland said:
I am not all that mechanical, and when it comes to wires, I try not to mess with them much. I assume if everything else is working, it's not a big deal, but you might try someone like Dave Nalley who owns Steam Way now, or Jeff at Steam Way Express out east.

Sorry, Loren.....I misspelled your name! I forgot about Steamway Express and Jeff Smith. He's right down the street from me! And he knows his Powermatics. Phone is 1-866-859-1011.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I read this yesterday and meant to look at today to see which wire you were talking about

but forgot..
and i might not know anyway..... :oops:

Call Jeff
He's my "go to" guy

..L.T.A.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Larry,
You'll know it when you see it if it's like mine.

My Powermatic is a 2000-2001 model and the wire has been wound to look like a spring. If you extended the wire to its full length, it would probably be about 12-14 inches long.

However, in its "wound" position, it is only about 4-5 inches long and is connected;

"inside" the temp gauge

near the top of the temp gauge

on the back side of the temp gauge

(I hope I explained that in an understandable manner).

I haven't had to order any major parts for my PM for quite awhile. But, I do need to order a new pressure gauge and "maybe" a new temp gauge (depending what I find out about this one). So, should I order from the Nalley's? Or is there a better option now?

I've had no dealings with the new owners of Steamway so I have no idea what their customer service and pricing is like. If any of you Steamway owners have dealt with them, I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
James

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom