Preheating a fresh water tank.

Name
Jesse
Both of our pto's have dual coolant exchangers. Normally they hold heat really well but with the 40 to 50 degree inlet temps were having a little heat loss. I'd like to economically preheat the fresh tank by running the coolant through there after it's gone through the exchangers. Do any of you have a recommendation on what to use? I don't want to spend a fortune and I really don't need to get the water past warm.

Thanks

John Watson

Just take your return, plumb to tank go through thick walled copper tubing that is at least 1/2 in off botom of the tank, return to engine, Bane has been doing it for years in his metal tanks.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this is what is in the bottom of the square Vortex tanks minus the broken float....
(it is also in the round A/T tanks)

circulates threw the radiator on the truck.........

100_3390.jpg

in the summer time here this is the temp of the water when I get to my first job........( I now have the round tank)

100_3954.jpg

Take off about 20 degrees in the winter......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If I remember right.........3/4 inch.......

Pretty sure that is correct............

Jay D

Name
Jay D
You can also bypass water from your solution output on your machine. basically t a line back to the tank and as you warmup/clean you will bypass a little hot water back to your tank. on the end of the line you put a jet like a 01 or 02 to limit the amount. this works and helps eliminate heat spikes but will build the temp on the water pump so you may not want to do it in the summertime when it may be to hot for the pump.

Farenheit251

I had a White magic 1200 pto. Even though I am in Florida when cleaning restaurants on cool nights my radiator coolant only went to 170-175 which puts a limit on your heat regardless of incoming water temp. Some guys put cardboard over the grill to get another 15-20 degrees.
I'd look real close to make sure your limit is not on the coolant temp before messing with preheating. A #2 little giant mounted behind the fresh tank gave me super heat and the propane lasted a long time.

Greenie

The LG 2HT is a miser on the gas, since it's got 1/2 the jets of a 3HT it's very efficient as a post heater where a guy is only looking for a boost.
As a stand alone heater you would be better off with a larger heater, but the small 2HT is excellent for this booster role.

Mike Draper

Butler - Heat while you drive.

I have a stainless steel 110 gal fresh water tank. I put a nice large aluminum radiator in mine and ran the hoses from from HX to tank. It heats the tank super nice 160 + deg. and my heat is always constant at the wand. I made a valve to turn it off if I want to in the summer. Easy cheesy!! Total cost, $300.00 I did the labor myself.

KBRENNY

The 4HT I am running will take 55 deg water to 245 ATM and it only cycles on 1/2 second after I key the wand and turns off 1/2 second after I release the valve. This done with no modifications to the 4HT and my wand having 12.5 flow pressure at 550 psi at about 2 gpm flow at the wand and running 250 ft of solution hose on a live reel.

I am currently working on getting a small heat exchanger to run inline before the 4HT. I am not doing this to increase the temperatures but to decrease the use of propane. My last truck mount was set up this way and I had spend 1/4 the money I am now in propane. Not to mention what a pain it is to find propane in a pinch.

Greenie

KBRENNY said:
The 4HT I am running will take 55 deg water to 245 ATM and it only cycles on 1/2 second after I key the wand and turns off 1/2 second after I release the valve. This done with no modifications to the 4HT and my wand having 12.5 flow pressure at 550 psi at about 2 gpm flow at the wand and running 250 ft of solution hose on a live reel.

I am currently working on getting a small heat exchanger to run inline before the 4HT. I am not doing this to increase the temperatures but to decrease the use of propane. My last truck mount was set up this way and I had spend 1/4 the money I am now in propane. Not to mention what a pain it is to find propane in a pinch.

Hybrids rule! But he's already there...

Now...back to helping.
I say the radiator in the fresh tank seems to be the most reasonable...but some work on the welding side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom