Preservation Tape

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It is very frustrating to return a badly cupped hardwood floor to a pre loss condition only to have some of the floors finish come up when the preservation tape is removed. I use both Dr. Shrink's preservation tape from Jon Don and Interlink's preservation tape to hold down my Injectidry Vac-it panels. Both have pulled up the floors finish on occasion. I have tried cleaning the floor first and it doesn't seem to matter if I use heat to dry the floor or not. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions to prevent this from happening?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
3M blue "Painter's Tape" will also pull up finish when removed.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
One thing you can do to "break" the bond of the tape before you try to tear it up...

Take a heat gun and slowly heat the tape as you peal it up. We have prevented finish damage on new installs, as well as remodels in many cases with this technique.. it takes some time and patience.. but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
No problem Richard.. Just remind them to keep the heat gun moving... and don't put it straight down on the tape.. they can usuaing reach 8 to 900 degrees.. pretty easily.. sometimes as hot as 1200 degrees. Its not your mama's blow dryer.. that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom