Pressure hose burst!

CleanEvo

Was in a stairwell and my pressure line burst right at the crimp by the wand. Should have checked it out more often I guess.

What a mess! I think the customer was wondering what I was up to, running back and forth to the truck with rags. It was all over the walls and stairs... took me a while, but got it all out.

Bought new hose today. Nice to have some fresh hose. I think I'll just start replacing it every couple of years, I deffinately don't want to go through that again.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i have not been doing this that long but i think you should change you hose every year or year and a half. two hundred dollars is not worth the headache and lawsuit that will follow the accident.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Nate The Great said:
Mind if I ask what your heat was at? And daily temps you run? What type of hose too?

To Nate's questions I would add, was it the actual crimp connection that failed or as you said the hose actually burst? Was it a factory crimp, or service crimp? Were the fittings the same brand as the hose?

The answers to these questions may serve to avoid the problem in the future.

Greenie

CleanEvolve said:
I think I'll just start replacing it every couple of years, I deffinately don't want to go through that again.

I don't want to come off as negative, but I must point out that if you were to tell a Hose Mfg. what pressure and temps and how many duty hours you subject your hose to, they would be astonished at the lifespan that the average cleaner expects to get out out of a hose. I'm willing to guess the Mfg. would be surprised you used it longer than one season.

That said, I would like to add an additional question to the thread since you said it failed at the end crimp.

What TYPE of bend restrictor was installed on the hose, a soft vinyl type, or a semi rigid spring type? And how long was that bend restrictor, 6" or 12"?

CleanEvo

I run the heat setting as high as it goes, at the truck it reads 200 - 230 but it's likely 170-200 at the wand... it's not a fire breather, but it does the job.

The bend restrictor is the stock black rubber one that comes with the hose. Can I get a better one, the dealer here doesn't stock anything else.

I got almost 1200 hours on this one, so I'm going to replace every 1000 hours from this point.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
600 hours or once a year. It is no big deal to rotate your first 100-150' at that rate and if you want to save that hose for the really long hose runs that are OUTSIDE then I have no problem with keeping them for 1000 hours just don't let them in the house after 600 hours.

P.S. This advice is coming from a Father of two kids whom if you burnt because you was to cheap to replace your hose would chase you to the ends of the earth to put you down and not from a supplier.

CleanEvo

Gotcha John... That's wise advice. I'll start purchasing 100' annually and rotating the old stuff to the outside.

I deffinately don't want to go through that again.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
when i first started in this industry i had a cobb unit with parflex solution lines and on a hot summer day was cleaning a two story house and all the sudden there was a fountain show going on. the hose had four pinhole streams flowing out in different directions burning me and my helper. no matter what hose you use you should change out once a year.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Change your hose yearly. Every December I buy a new lead hose. Mine just broke but at the truck connection and it was only 11 mnths old. I make my own hose relieve for the wand end. It it breaks no sweat because the water just runs out the open end. I use 4' of clear hose over the solution hose with a hose clamp at the crimp. It also protects the legs from burns.

Gene

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I've had that happen a few times. Rotate and replace the last hose every year. I also noticed that my techs were setting the wand down and the hose was basically supporting the top of the wand, so I told them to make sure they flip the wand over, Im sure that will help alot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom