Pressure hose heat loss

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I recently heard someone suggest that your typical pressure hose loses 1 degree of temperature for every foot. So if your running 195F, as in the case of my HM cds, by the time its gets through a run of 100 feet you would have tap water hot solution, Aprox 95 degrees. This is a HUGE LOSS of valuable temp. I have never mesured my temps at the wand but this seems like it could be fairly right on. Does the Parker Paraflex maintain heat significantly better than Goodyear neptune? IOW, is it worth the $2.50 a ft that Paraflex costs?

Name
Nate W.
That seems pretty bogus if you ask me. Maybe if you let it sit for a minute or 2. When I clean, there is no way my water temps drop that much. I use little giant heaters.

RIP IT

Name
Chris
Gas heaters are fckingr8. I used to have 60 metres of solution line on a live reel and heat loss was never an issue and the same applies now with the GT, 60 metres of Goodyear Neptune on a live reel....plenty of heat all the time. Not as much as the gas heater but not far behind.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
tman7 said:
I recently heard someone suggest that your typical pressure hose loses 1 degree of temperature for every foot.

nah, you don't lose near that much.
You do lose a fair amount though and there's also lots of variables that can do effect how much lose,
like flow rate, how long you're on and off the trigger, how much line is on the cold ground from TM to entrance, etc

but in general you'll lose 30 to 50 degrees from TM to wand on a 100ft run of Ineptune.
Maybe 20% less lose with Parker

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

I run through 200' goodyear Neptune (live reel). I run a 12 flow wand with a temp gauge permanent attached to wand. Yesterday the outside temp was 18 degrees in the morning when I started cleaning, I was losing about 15-17 degrees from the truck to my wand. Later in the day it was around 45 degrees outside and I was losing about 8 degrees from truck to wand.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
tman7 said:
I recently heard someone suggest that your typical pressure hose loses 1 degree of temperature for every foot. So if your running 195F, as in the case of my HM cds, by the time its gets through a run of 100 feet you would have tap water hot solution, Aprox 95 degrees. This is a HUGE LOSS of valuable temp. I have never mesured my temps at the wand but this seems like it could be fairly right on. Does the Parker Paraflex maintain heat significantly better than Goodyear neptune? IOW, is it worth the $2.50 a ft that Paraflex costs?

If this was true another 100' and you would have ice.
Parflex is not that expensive more like $ 1.70 - $ 1.85 per foot depending on the length give or take some pennies.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Mike Draper's observation sounds correct.

Let me put it another way. Even when cleaning in frigid temps(0º-15º) in our climate, we still have steam inside when cleaning, without having to adjust the temp dial up. It is usually set at around 210º ATM, but we are getting around 220º ATW.

We use Parker Powerclean high pressure hose — 1035HT-4.

Our steam lines are 150' and 130' long (dual wands).

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bob Savage said:
without having to adjust the temp dial up. It is usually set at around 210º ATM, but we are getting around 220º ATW.

:shock:

ummm..Brother Bob...sounds like sump'ums broke then

OR..

I'll ASSume there's no temp gauge ATM?
just a T-stat?

..L.T.A.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Nope, nothing's broke.

On our system, the dial on the thermostat shuts off the burner when the thermostat probe says the set temperature is reached. But remember, it is a large coil, and there is all kinds of heat still behind the probe in the coil, so the heat continues to build from the coil to the wand, until the probe says it's time to fire again.

The heat dial is set at 210º. The temperature gauge (Murphy brand) reads 230º, and the temperature gauge at the wand says it is 220º.

This was done with ambient around 50º. When it's hotter out, you can turn down a bit, but even in the winter, we don't have to turn the thermostat dial up very much, unless it is a real nasty.

We have NEVER turned the thermostat dial all the way up, regardless of hose length, ambient temperature, or when running 2 wands.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
not sure what kind of hose I have.. But this I know..................
I have 250 feet of solution hose. I dont use all of that hose. wouldnt i be better off with a shorter hose for the ehat situation? Can I splice that hose a few times, and put quick disconnects on it?

joeynbgky said:
not sure what kind of hose I have.. But this I know..................
I have 250 feet of solution hose. I dont use all of that hose. wouldnt i be better off with a shorter hose for the ehat situation? Can I splice that hose a few times, and put quick disconnects on it?

Joey you would be better off keeping the first section off your reel as 100' followed by a couple 50' sections. Pull off what you need and hook it to the machine and do not run the hose live. You will have better pressure and more heat for sure. Most jobs will be done with the 100' section. Try this and you will instanly notice better cleaning results. If your hose is one long section you may just want to make two 125' sections and run the reel live on long hose runs and hook the 125' to the mahcine on shorter hose runs.

Greenie

Depending on if you can REALLY do 90% of your work with 100'...I might just do what made sense, if you check out your jobs and find that 110-125' does 99% of your work, I'd leave 150' live on the reel, and cut the extra 100' into 50's and HANG them fro commercial extensions etc... 150' live on a reel doesn't lose that much on a 110' run, especially with a high flow wand, the trick is indeed to keep the water moving, you can run your heater 20 deg. lower and it'll be Hotter at the wand with high flow than it will when set higher AT the heater and running a low flow tool.

You will get a lot of varied rersponses on heat loss, it has a lot to do with the pressure and flow a guy is cleaning with, so don't hold anyone's numbers as fact, it's a dynamic question.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
as usual greenie is right. my first hose is 150'. it covers most of my jobs. i keep 50 permanently attached to the machine to fill sprayers and add it on if needed. next off the truck is another 150' for dual set-ups and then another 50'. it covers all my jobs.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom