Prevacuumers - Speak out!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just curious (in light of the many posts saying its a waste of time and that the homeowner can do just as well)
If you regularly prevacuum carpets:
why do you do it?
what has been your experience, worth it or not?
Do you charge higher/lower/same than your competition?
What's the size of your busn? ie multi truck

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
We always pre vac. I don't want customers doing it. Its free I'm a vacuum whore to for real

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

S

sam miller

Ya I always do it, Pre vacuum that is got 2 5 gallon buckets of hair and dirt out alleged pre vac carpet today.

I love when they say what type of vacuum is that? One that sucks! blowme :roll:

FredC

Village Idiot
Why do I** do it? Cause I use a glide that prevents me from picking big shit up without constantly tilting. that and to get things normally not picked up effectively by wanding like hair.

That and the fact that doing it "separates" me from the comp.

I DON"T, however, do it because I think it has a substantial overall impact on the quality of the job other than psychological on the part of the customer. "oohh, he vacuumed...the last guy didn't". That same effect can be accomplished via other means.

You can say I "just made it look clean"...but I do so at a reasonable price...and that is what the MAJORITY of customers want. They want their f'n carpet to look cleaner than it did and remain that way for a reasonable amount of time. This can certainly be accomplished without OCD vacuuming.

***I lease my truck now...

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I prevac almost every job because watching my dust cup fill gives me wood.

2011-07-28_14-43-50_614.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We prevacuum but we don't Wernerize it, no more than 5-15 minutes depending on the size of the home.

Dry particle removal and standing up the fibers to prepare for cleaning.

One of the highest but there might be a couple higher than us.

Size? 2-6 trucks depending on the season, most of the time 3-4 but occasionally as many as 8.

However carpet cleaning is not our primary source of revenue.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Prevacuum or don't prevacuum, everyone faces this choice each time they enter a job. It takes time and you need a good vacuum if you're going to do this chore. All of us who do it regularly know full well you're not going to remove all the dry soil, but on the side of the story we know it makes a difference on lint and hair build up back at the machine.

In my experience 98 out of 100 customers DO NOT know how to deep vacuum and 100% of house cleaning people DON'T.

So, vacuum or don't vacuum and be done with the matter. If your don't and I show the customer that I usually fill 2 or 3 bags in an average 2-story, I will throw you under the bus as a marketing tool. Do your carpets "look" the same as mine?, doesn't matter I will use it as a marketing tool every chance I get. I will show them what you leave behind BEFORE the steam cleaning. Not you personally but you get my drift.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i prevac because it has to be done when using VLM.
so definitely worth it.
i don't charge more, it is part of my cleaning process for VLM.
single truck.

HSeven

Always pre-vac if I am using OP methods due to the nature of the encap chems / process.

Can't remember when I didn't pre-vac on a HWE job because I believe doing so offers the client the best possible cleaning.

I usually explain why I pre-vac along with the entire process and yes I do charge a little more than my comp.

I'm a owner/operator with one truck.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Your average customer doesn't give 2 shits whether you pre-vac or not.....Bringing to their attention MAY give them a marketing boost.

Most customers just want what Fred Sed... "They want their f'n carpet to look cleaner than it did and remain that way for a reasonable amount of time."

They also want....and even more so than the carpet.... A clean looking Tech, well spoken, super friendly (not fake) and won't hump her dog when she's not looking (sorry Chavez).

Sooo much importance is placed on vacuuming because as carpet cleaners we "think" we are doing "better".....It's mental masturbation and it doesn't mean a damn thing to your customer unless you force sed "damn thing" on them.

With that said... I pre-vac every house because I OP....But when HWE, I would only Pre-vac if I "see" heavy debris, lint, turds etc.

Werner, I like you and your posts a lot. But you're fooling yourself and you don't believe it.

I think you mean well, you care more about the clean than the green (that's money) and that's admirable....But it's not good business to go overboard on anything....Yes, even customer service......It can be very creepy (sorry Yoakum).

There, I said it.

Bob Foster

I pre-vacuum but believe it is a waste of my customers and my own time obsessing with a vacuum cleaner. It is unreasonable and completely unnecessary to pull every last particle of solids out prior to agitation and extraction. The small amount of solids that remain will come out with the extraction and subsequent vacuuming.

Obsessive vacuuming might improve the results more that normal vacuuming. Taking too much time in a customers home is annoying to them because of the loss of their privacy and the inconvenience of their daily routines.

Vacuuming reasonably well and not trying to remove every last grain of solids out with the vacuum cleaner does not mean you are only surface cleaning, "making mud" or doing a poor job or TOO QUICK of a job.

There is a lot more to making a customer into a repeat or a referral than a vacuum cleaner and corner guards.

Customers would be far more impressed with carpets left as dry as possible. Unfortunately that comes with the risk of annoying them with the noise of fans.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Goomer said:

I rarely prevac because it has zero impact on the outcome of a HWE job. My TM filter box fills like your dust cup does. Just more efficient use of my time.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I prevac because it removes problems before they become problems. I've found an extra few min with a vacuum can save me those extra minutes with the TM or save me from having to return to touch up a wickback, esp on berber. One cleaner encountered deodor powder, which turned to bleach when presprayed, stripped the color on a green 5th gen. Had him shtn bricks!!
Saw a cleaner with an RX20 on blue marble sculptured carpet. Turned brown before our eyes, he had to go over it 3 or 4 times, still didn't stay clean. 10 min with a vacuum would have saved him 20 with the truck.

Its not the ones that LOOK like they need it that would bite me in the ass if I didn't vacuum, its usually the ones that have JUST been vacuumed by the owner or LOOK like had just been vacuumed that I find surprising amounts of soil.

If I didn't think it was useful and worth it, I wouldn't do it. My vids are of "extreme" restorative vacuuming, but I move the vacuum as fast as I need to and when its not pulling anything, I keep moving. I don't waste my time.
If I don't think its productive or useful, I don't do it.

AS an owner operator, I don't have the luxury of being able to clean 5 jobs+ a day or 26+jobs with multitrucks. Thus I am not looking for the "average customer". Most of my clients have had the quick cleaners and weren't impressed. I charge a premium because most cleaners don't want to be bothered and it does take extra time and effort, sometimes a fair bit of extra.

Maybe I should have just left this stuff in the carpet and I could have done a "better job":
two rooms and stairs- berber carpet
DSC_0700.jpg

two rooms of berber, previously cleaned with RUg Dr
DSC_0606SimmsSuite.jpg

again from berber carpet
DSC_063311-08-17onebedroom.jpg

two rooms of berber
DSC_0114.jpg

ONE stair tread
DSC_0332.jpg

This is from a dentist's office carpets, vacuumed every day
DSC_0424.jpg

ALL but the small band of white on the bottom came from 12 stairs
DSC_063911-08-18strs.jpg

Sooo much importance is placed on vacuuming because as carpet cleaners we "think" we are doing "better".....It's mental masturbation and it doesn't mean a damn thing to your customer unless you force sed "damn thing" on them.
....But you're fooling yourself and you don't believe it.

I think you mean well, you care more about the clean than the green (that's money) and that's admirable....But it's not good business to go overboard on anything

Who are you trying to fool Brian? If I wasn't getting these results, I'd believe you. If I wasn't extracting anything worth while, I'd chuck the vacuum, I'd be done in half the time! And the custy doesn't know what they don't know, they trust the cleaner. Who is telling who when its clean??? The homeowner that doesn't know beans about carpet or the professional who is supposed to be trained to KNOW?
The real question since you have no other real means of extraction, why don't you take it more seriously?

And even if you have a Big V, you're not going to pull the dry particulate wet like you can dry. Sure, your filter will have lint and stuff in it, but maybe about half of what was actually there, and the finer powders are stuck as soon as you get them wet.

THIS is why I prevacuum and why I believe its necessary for anyone calling them self a professional to take it more seriously. Kudos to you guys that have figured it out already.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I believe he uses a Cleartrack

Oh the great vacuum debate.

I'm not saying you won't pull a bunch of crap out with your vacuum....I'm not even saying it's a bad thing.....it's just a thing.

I even said I vac almost every job because of OPing.

If you're charging for it Ron...Go for it.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Taking too much time in a customers home is annoying to them because of the loss of their privacy and the inconvenience of their daily routines.

So true

When I do vacuum, the noise from the crap determines how long I take to vacuum. If I made the call to vacuum and I hear nothing I put it away, unless there's pets. If mud is coming out of the rx I'll vacuum the rest. You can usually tell if vacuuming is needed by seeing how they keep their house.

Albert

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
yes, its a Cleartrak. I was recently in a vacuum store and realized this vacuum needs some ummf, a stronger motor. What I like best is the canister so I can see when I'm getting soil and that I can simply replace parts. Without the canister, I am guessing. Plus, cost me a hec of a lot in bags!
If I'm not seeing a lot come in, I'm not "wernering" it.

Brian, this "thing" is an important step. Its not part of some dog and pony show. In 1 or 2 out of 10 instances, it may not be necessary. But in the other instances, it does and the only way I know is if I run the vacuum over it. You may not "see" a difference in the final results, but you will KNOW there was a difference. Most guys only give it lip service or don't even bother.
Its not the stuff you see on top that's the problem, its what you can't see.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Art Kelley said:
Goomer said:

I rarely prevac because it has zero impact on the outcome of a HWE job. My TM filter box fills like your dust cup does. Just more efficient use of my time.

But does it give you wood?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Ok, I'll say it............FACT.......Pre vacuuming removes MORE fine particulates, hair and lint from the base of the carpet, in it's DRY state, than not vacuuming,................and no, your TM won't get it all........there, I said it.

Whether there is enough of it in the carpet to warrant EXTENDED vacuuming can ONLY be determined by actively monitoring the return you are getting in your DUST cup. My DUST cup rate of return determines how much time I will spend on vacuuming. So unless the vacuum comes out, you will never know what you are missing.

Now maybe there are some parts of the country, where "dust" levels are low enough to where you can get away with it sometimes, but not where I am. I can almost ALWAYS pull a significant amount of FINE particles from EVERY carpet I clean, regardless if the home owner vacs regularly. I honestly think sometimes, it is the vacuum I am using. shiteatinggrin It continues to surprise me how much fine dust this this thing pulls out that will be harder to remove once wet.

Just like any hobby, or important task you set your mind on completing, it is sometimes the extra little steps that lead to a greater feeling of SATISFACTION and assurance upon completing.

I don't know about anyone else's customers, but most of mine (women), glow when they see I am including this step, and I think it turns them on. shiteatinggrin

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If I'm not seeing a lot come in, I'm not "wernering" it.
See and I thought you were unreasonable on this point. :p

I love that statement coming form you!

Ron do you find less in the nicer homes or are those also filling your container.
I've just never seen the removal you're getting.

Maybe we should buy a few Cleartrac's? Are they still only selling refurbished?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron Werner said:
Brian, this "thing" is an important step. Its not part of some dog and pony show. In 1 or 2 out of 10 instances, it may not be necessary. But in the other instances, it does and the only way I know is if I run the vacuum over it. You may not "see" a difference in the final results, but you will KNOW there was a difference. Most guys only give it lip service or don't even bother.
Its not the stuff you see on top that's the problem, its what you can't see.

It can be important depending on process and situation.

In the years that I TMed houses I never screwed up a carpet because I didn't vacuum it first. If there is something in the carpet that is going to ruin a carpet while hweing....I doubt that an upright vacuum is going to remedy it. I'd bet Mikey's new dog balls on it.

Carpet dirt is like farts
If you can't see it, smell it, feel it or hear it......Then it isn't a problem.

Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom