Price of carpet going up

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I went to my carpet supplier's showroom today and all over the
walls were signs that read: Beginning February 1st, all carpet mills
are raising the price of carpet 6 to 9%.
Make sure you let your customers know this. It will be better for
their pocket if they clean it more often and are able to add a couple of
more years to the life of the carpet.
Luis

Jamesh921

Name
James
I owned a store for 8 1/2 years. I think it was back in '03 or '04 (not sure) but we had SIX price increases in one 12 month period. Everytime we got all the samples repriced (over 1000 of them) we would recieve another price increase letter from the mill. I gotta say that I was impressed with my office girls - they never complained - just started printing off new price labels and kept things up-to-date.

So, I don't doubt that prices will go up again, especially since fuel prices have been on the increase lately. The cost to manufacture carpet is directly related to the cost of fuel.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Oil was way up three years ago, much higher than now. Everybody jumped on the "gotta charge more" bandwagon.

Then oil went way down. Silence from those who raised prices "because of oil". No they didn't DROP prices.

Now as prices go up again (to about 70% of the 2008 high) we hear the same squawking about being forced to raise prices to cover oil prices.

It's largely a scam.

Thanks,
Lee

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
We have had probably 12 price increases in the last several years. They stayed off prolly 2 or 3 increases to avoid Industry suicide, but it is directly related to oil. Nylon and synthetic prices are up high enough while or wool and woven products have not increased nearly as much, which means we have seen an increase in wool sales. Also hard surface is up so much that carpet has to increase to maintain margin. There are always increases every year. Sometimes more than others. It's not really a new development.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
sweendogg said:
We have had probably 12 price increases in the last several years. They stayed off prolly 2 or 3 increases to avoid Industry suicide, but it is directly related to oil. Nylon and synthetic prices are up high enough while or wool and woven products have not increased nearly as much, which means we have seen an increase in wool sales. Also hard surface is up so much that carpet has to increase to maintain margin. There are always increases every year. Sometimes more than others. It's not really a new development.

Ditto- it has just been a little more frequent in the last 7-8 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom