prochem upholstery tool PSI

wpschoch

I've read that many of you are drilling holes and adding glides to your prochem upholstery tool. What PSI are you running it at, and how have you adjusted the valve on the tool? I have one but can't get it to stop making a mess and would love more input on the matter. If I can't get this thing working better I will want to sell/trade this thing for a hydrokinetic probably. My local distributor wanted $320 for the PMF internal spray. Good lord.

Thanks.

wpschoch

Turn down to what approximately? Just spell it out for me; I won't be insulted. I've tried pressures between 80 and 200 PSI. Thanks.

kelsolo

I turn mine to 300 psi but you will find with microfiber it will still make a mess.If you want to keep it and do the hole ansd glide thing talk to greenie he will set you up.

wpschoch

Wow. I even asked the guys at the shop if lowering my pressure would increase the water flow. As a pressure washer, I know that concept very well. They told me to drop between 100 and 80 PSI. As suspected, the mess increased instead of decreased. Do you tend to leave the tool valve more opened, closed or in the middle?

Walt

I thought all of the things you said above until I got the hang of this tool - for me it is by far the most efficient and through tool.

Some of the mess may be caused by the angle you are holding the tool. If you lower the back of the tool too much the jet doesn't hit the fabric in the right spot. That's pretty easy to do on curved pieces if you don't pay attention. And it will be messy. Further, this may seem obvious but make sure that the jet isn't cockeyed. If it's at an angle then it will jet off to one side too much. Easy fix.

I believe that a glide is not an option with this (some will argue this) - especially if you are running higher lift settings are your machine. It comes off easy for getting fur and the like.

BTW - I run it at about 300 psi at the machine and fine tune the pressure at the head. I don't haven't made any modifications to the tool other than the glide. It's not particularly mess once you get the hang of it.

Walt

wpschoch said:
Wow. I even asked the guys at the shop if lowering my pressure would increase the water flow. As a pressure washer, I know that concept very well. They told me to drop between 100 and 80 PSI. As suspected, the mess increased instead of decreased. Do you tend to leave the tool valve more opened, closed or in the middle?

I love it when guys how have never used the tool give advice. Cleaning at 100 psi would be lame and slow.

Here's the answer. Run it at 300 psi. Fine tune at the tool. If you are getting water squirting all over the place. Check your angle and / or adjust tool pressure by unscrewing the adjustment for a little less water. Before you sell the tool because you can't stand it buy a glide.

Greenie

Turning your press. down at the machine is limited, you need to dial in your tool's BYPASS knob, then slide the vacuum releif until you are happy with the balance. The drilled holes in the back lip help to capture the overspray and provide additional vacuum relief, jsut don't drill them to large, you can always go bigger, so start out about the same size as the holes in the glide and see how you like that.
Make sure you drill them high enough, so that when the Internal fitting glide is installed it doesn't block the holes like a cork in a wine bottle.
You can also install a slightly larger jet, and a short checkvalve jet extender. I use a 9502.

Edit, I see Walt beat me....lol

wpschoch

I just called Prochem and they also recommended 250 PSI and fine tuning after that. I was concerned with turning the flow down too low on the tool because in the past it has cut off my solution draw. Looks like i'll have to use no solution and a full prespray before hand. Shows what I know. How many of you guys use clear water for extracting and just prespray the whole thing?

Also, there's the heat to consider...

Greenie

larger jet and dialing in the bypass will flow plenty of chemical, you shouldn't have any issues with it.

Listen to Walt, you'll get there, the devil is in the details.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have the prochem tool and run it at 250 psi
I have the PMF internal I run at 300-320
I have the driemaster that I adjust at the tool with 500 psi at the truck(that is what I clean carpets with)

Greenie

wpschoch said:
any ideas what size tip to put in? I need all the help i can get.

A few post up I suggest using a 9502 jet, and a short checkvalve jet extender.

cbcsi

I would set my pressure to 150-180 and prespray the furniture, and rinse with hot water, drying out with a second dry pass if needed. Spray mist a fab set or equiv and then apply teflon. Now I use one of the fancy and expensive upholstery tools, (the one with the needle valve on the tool, jetless water stream zero oversray when adjusted right) but the basic ones work well too.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Just drill the holes like greenie said. I was ready to toss mine, it always had water every where no matter what I did. I got a hole glide and drilled the holes. now it does not matter if I set it at 400 psi, no mess.

R

R W

I always run mine at 500 psi, and final adjust at the head. Without a glide or holes, the tool vac lips seem to "squeegie" excess solution on ultra suedes and finer, tighter fabrics, when on your cleaning stroke. I just back off the pressure at the head when that occurs. I also use mine for stair cleaning when I don't want to drag out the stair wand. It does a great job, even on the step noses, and is more controlable with the over spray than my stair tool.

Anything above 6-700 psi seems to stop the flow.....as in dual wanding....one carpet wand and one PC upholstery tool. We dual upholstery/carpet clean often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom