Propane engines

Bob Foster

don't like platinum plugs. Especially when they are gapped too large. I broke an insulator off of one of the old plugs screwing around the other day and had to put some new ones in. When the parts counter slid the platinums across it never occurred that they would be an issue.

It ran just fine for about 2 hours then started to lose power and cough, and fart - , awhhhhhh shazzbitt. What could be wrong?

Platinum plugs are too hot for propane fueled small engines and the gap was too wide. Between the two things it caused the engine to - back fire.

Put the right plugs in and gapped them and it runs like a Swiss watch.

Learn sumpin every day.

By the way that 18 hp Briggs with a #4 little Giant putting out at about 220-230 gets 3/4 gal per hour consumption. Propane is 60% of the price of gas too.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bob back in the mid 70's we had a Steam Genies HydroGenie that had an Onan powerplant that had a propane carb on it.

Great unit when it was new but after she had quite a few hours on her we had the problems you described.

Never could keep it running right for any extended period of time once she was old.

Our Onan mechanic was a transport refrig guy, he hated to see us coming with it. I don't think he totally understood the unit, or cared to.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I had an old 24 hp Onan that was a tank.

Simple just like those old wisconsin engines.

Bob Foster

Running that TNT on propane and a #4 Little Giant (@230 degrees) costs me about $2 American per hour.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Bob Foster said:
Running that TNT on propane and a #4 Little Giant (@230 degrees) costs me about $2 American per hour.
:shock: not bad!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom