Propane Injection - Results after 5 months on the V

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
So 5 months ago I had a "Propane Injection" System or "Fumigation" system installed on the V.

So far here are the benefits:

1. SMELL, the exhaust doesn't BURN your eyes or choke you when it idles.

2. Fuel economy, for every gallon of propane I use, it saves me 1.3 gallons of diesel, I pay 2.00/gallon for propane

3. Extended range, because Im only replacing 1 fuel for another, I can go much farther, clean longer on a tank of diesel.
...Less time at the pump means ALLOT to me.

4. Less oil changes, the propane injection has an added benefit of making the engine create WAY LESS black soot & harmful deposits. We run Amsoil Full Synth, and the oil has been almost crystal clear for 4 months 7k miles and 100's of hours operating PTO, we got the Blackstone report back last week, it was like NEW oil!!!

My centrifuge system on my other trucks doesn't perform that well! (Although it comes close)

5. Slight gain in Horsepower, BIG gain in DRIVE ABILITY!!!! I can now make it up VERY steep grades at Highway speeds without slowing down to a snails pace, getting passed by truckers. At 65mph (Petal to the FLOOR) I would slow down to 42mph on most big hills, Now we stay right at the desired speed, and we no longer have to punch it all the way to the floor.

All this and the system is set to the lowest possible setting! The installer estimates that we are adding 20hp, and the system is designed for up to 250hp gain, The more I bump it up, the more propane will replace diesel, he estimates we can safely add another 60hp, turn the injection pump down slightly, and DOUBLE our range! Putting us as 215 HP.
I will ONLY do this slowly bumping the settings up, while monitoring the exhaust temps via Pyrometer in the cab, and one on the vortex gauge panel.
So far the exhaust runs 10 degrees cooler, but that will go up once we start adding more PANE.

He has a moron that turned the system ALL the way up on an ISUZU Npr (expedite trucker), and the only reason it hasn't blown the engine up is because he Babys the pedal, and never "Hotrods" it, but if someone ELSE gets in the truck and tries to floor it, It will spin the tires, burn the tranny, and crack the head :eek:

BUT he is getting 32mpg, (equates to 16mpg diesel, 16mpg propane) he can now travel 1100 miles on a single 35gal tank.

Steve CGD guy

Supportive Member
Very interesting. I have never heard of this being done. What is the cost of the system and install? How large is the propane tank you installed? How long do you estimate to recover the cost of the system and start to see savings on fuel? It would be worth it just to keep up with traffic on highways and be able to go up on-ramps that are up hill without bogging down.

Mike Draper

its unfortunate that the government has made it illegal in Cali. Its really common here. About $1,200 for the system in Natural gas or propane. On a Diesel adding natural gas or propane makes your truck like a hot rod.
Here is a link for the CNG, propane kits. http://ews.mybigcommerce.com/cng-conversion-kits/ I have several friends that have been running these systems for many years. they are reliable. I pay around a $1.00 a gallon for propane in the summer here. I'll be converting mine next summer.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
do you convert all the way over???

or what ashley said???

cuz you cant do what asley said its for DIESELS!!!!

with that said, when i was looking around for trucks about a year ago. I saw a few of these...but couldnt find anyone who was installing them:madder: well at least for a decent amount and not 5k...

how much was it ashley??? cuz hell i might drive out there and get it done for my truck...

also the temp should stay lower, as the propane is a "cooler" burn then diesel....plus it fires at a quicker rate, then diesel does

Mike Draper

Doug. There's a guy up here that does it. The link I provided is fir a store in Utah. It's about $1500 roughly for the CNG install. That's what you'd want in Utah.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Sorry I keep trying to reply but tapa talk keeps crashing.

I paid $0.00 for the kit, I cleaned 6 rooms of carpet for it, the kit belonged to an employee of nashfuel.com.
It was a $450 kit to begin with.

With the fuel savings and less oil change intervals, I approximate I've saved $500+

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
OK, so what's the "catch"??

there must be some devil in the details .
cause if true that everyone gets better mileage, more power and cheaper to run costs, why isn't everyone doing it??

Draper, how are you getting propane so cheap?
Are you in a group that gets wholesale pricing??

..L.T.A.

Reactions: barefoot

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I'm with Larry something is missing. For $450 and returns like that There would waiting lines to get these

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
No "catch" because it's not really increasing mpg, just replacing a more expensive, stinky fuel for a cheaper, cleaner burning fuel. In the case of diesels fumigating with propane, propane acts as a "catalyst" to aid in burning more of the diesel on the chamber. And it's introducing another fuel. Visa vi, more HP.

I only use BBQ bottles that sit in the back of the box for now, I'm keeping my eye out for a 20+ gallon underbelly tank.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
because like ALLL things propane

its the debil.....

there are risks...you crank it and can blow your motor

and just like allll the other conversions...they cost $$$$$ and the ROI, takes a while...

and yes it can give better mpg....but like other things that do...it has to be tweaked and watched...

its not for the AVG guy....

thats what tuners or "chips" are for...

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
because like ALLL things propane

its the debil.....

there are risks...you crank it and can blow your motor

and just like allll the other conversions...they cost $$$$$ and the ROI, takes a while...

and yes it can give better mpg....but like other things that do...it has to be tweaked and watched...

its not for the AVG guy....

thats what tuners or "chips" are for...

My system has 3 fail safes to prevent propane from flooding the engine while its off.

#1 is it only flows when their is boost from the turbo

#2 is it only has power when the key is on

#3 secondary shutoff after the propane tank

And on top of all that, I shut the tank off.

Many other reasons attribute to people not flocking to this setup.
Propane can be hard to find, and at a good price.
I fill up 5 bbq bottles while im at tractor supply, i pull my truck up, open the back door and they pull a hose out and start filling them.
(I call ahead) And i shop for goodies whilst i wait.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Certain parts of the country both propane and cng are way cheap, where in my area propane is almost the same price of GAS, and CNG is only available to federal vehicles (bs).

Mike Draper

I suppose the propane place likes me. Last summer propane dropped down to .87 a gallon here. Even in the winter its never gone over 1.80 a gallon here.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
there is a salvage RV place near Eugene Oregon that is selling 40 gallon belly about propane tanks for about 300 bucks

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Where I run around in SoCal, propane costs almost as much as regular gas..so it is almost pointless to do something like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom