propane tank in van

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I have a small propane heater for the van for when im on jobs and the tm isnt running. But im tired of using the little tanks that go with it. I see you can hook them up to the bigger barbecue type tanks so it lasts longer and its much more economical. But worried about having that big tank in the van.

Those with lg heaters-is there some kind of cage around the tank or is it under the van or what.

So in other words is it ok to drive around with one of those tanks in the van. I thought it should be fine unless i happened to get in a bad accident and hit just right but was interested in others thoughts.

Last edited:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I know a local who has 2 bbq tanks sitting in milk crates which are strapped down .. hes been ok for the last 7 years .. dosent mean its safe or legal .. sure is convenient though .. make sure you have ventilation .. burning propane needs a little fresh air to the mixture ..

Reactions: Joel D

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just remember that those propane tank release pressure to maintain a safe pressure in the tank based on temp and other factors, you probably won't have a problem but if you ever so have a problem, it will be a big problem.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
For anyone contemplating an propane system on their on-the-road vehicle, only safe, legal, permanently-mounted ASME motor fuel tanks should be considered.

According to NFPA 58:

Fuel containers shall be installed to prevent their jarring loose and slipping or rotating, and the fastenings shall be designed and constructed to withstand without permanent deformation static loading in any direction of equal to four times the weight of the container filled with fuel.

Tanks shall be installed in an enclosure that is gastight with respect to the driver or passenger compartments.

All legal tanks have a pressure relief valve. The pressure relief valve discharge from fuel containers on vehicles shall not be directed into the interior of the vehicle.

Tell me how you can do all of this practically in a van where the cargo compartment is shared with the driver?

BBQ tanks hauled for the purpose of refilling is another matter. While precautions need to be taken, there are fundamental differences in situations where you are carrying fuel full time.

Reactions: GCCLee

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
For anyone contemplating an propane system on their on-the-road vehicle, only safe, legal, permanently-mounted ASME motor fuel tanks should be considered.

According to NFPA 58:

Fuel containers shall be installed to prevent their jarring loose and slipping or rotating, and the fastenings shall be designed and constructed to withstand without permanent deformation static loading in any direction of equal to four times the weight of the container filled with fuel.

Tanks shall be installed in an enclosure that is gastight with respect to the driver or passenger compartments.

All legal tanks have a pressure relief valve. The pressure relief valve discharge from fuel containers on vehicles shall not be directed into the interior of the vehicle.

Tell me how you can do all of this practically in a van where the cargo compartment is shared with the driver?

BBQ tanks hauled for the purpose of refilling is another matter. While precautions need to be taken, there are fundamental differences in situations where you are carrying fuel full time.

The propane tank should be securely mounted under the van.

It should be turned off after use.

This is the 10 Gallon model for most vans:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=3998

Larry

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
When I had my TCS unit installed in my Nissan NV the only place on that van to mount a propane tank was to remove the spare tire directly under the rear doors. For whatever reason they said it would not mount on the side of the Nissan like a regular van. It was very hard to get to for filling in the back. The propane place complained all the time. Another problem was every time we backed down a driveway that had even a slight slope it would scrape against the frame holding the tank and move the tank. It was impossible to keep in place and if it was moved even slightly the propane place refused to fill it. So I had no choice to go with a 40 lbs tank inside the van. We take it out while cleaning and shut it off while driving but we have no choice. I thought we were safe but after reading some of these posts I'm not so sure. Doesn't leave me with any options???

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
That tank web site above is very helpful. You might search propane tank holders designed for fork lifts as well. I carry two 30lb tanks in the back of my van on a custom rack I built. I thought about an exterior tank but the cons outweighed the pros. Its completely legal to carry it the way I do and no problem with my insurance carrier.

Personally I wouldn't use anything less then 30# bottles and I wish I had 40#ers. I feed a 320k btu heater and when it's getting down to 1/4 capacity in the bottle it freezes heavy on the outside and stops giving the gas. Then I switch to the other bottle. If we're having a real heat wave in summer they give up the gas all the way to empty without freezing. My propane store says the cater food coaches experience the same thing.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
That tank web site above is very helpful. You might search propane tank holders designed for fork lifts as well. I carry two 30lb tanks in the back of my van on a custom rack I built. I thought about an exterior tank but the cons outweighed the pros. Its completely legal to carry it the way I do and no problem with my insurance carrier.

Personally I wouldn't use anything less then 30# bottles and I wish I had 40#ers. I feed a 320k btu heater and when it's getting down to 1/4 capacity in the bottle it freezes heavy on the outside and stops giving the gas. Then I switch to the other bottle. If we're having a real heat wave in summer they give up the gas all the way to empty without freezing. My propane store says the cater food coaches experience the same thing.

Tee your tanks together and draw off both of them at the same time.
The propane will vaporize better and not freeze up as much.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Commercial Fill Stations here will not allow a loaded tank inside an enclosed vehicle. The lil places and exchange a tanks could care less most of the time.

We shot a bunch a tanks with Tracers at The Machine Gun shoot in KY years ago. They spin violently and shoot flames : )

Chris

Reactions: renegade_cowboy
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
That's a good suggestion about teeing my tanks together. I take them in and out often enough I'd need it easily removed. And correction my heater is around 220k btu.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom