Propane vs Heat Exchanger

dazzle

Name
James
I am soon to be in the market for a new unit and would like to get some feedback from people who have the experience of owning various machines. If you were going to buy a machine today would you use heat exchange or a burner (diesel or propane). Is there a specific machine you would choose?
Thank you for you input

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Propane can be hotter especially if you're comparing at the low end of HE units. At the high end the HE will cook as good as propane without the spikes.

Propane has its draw backs. Heater and burner maintenance is a must to keep it running. Vibration can be a booger depending on where its mounted.

Filling is a chore that soon gets old. All of ot can be offset by price. Propane is generally going to be a cheaper initial investment.

If I were buying I'd get a Rage or 370. Small footprint units that really pack a punch. 😎

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mighty big word there
You were ever a spelling bee champ were you

As someone who sells both types of machines, I'm stealing Dan's quote to best sum up the trade offs of secondary fuel units

"running high heat fuel burners can feel addictive, constantly replacing hoses can be rehabilitive"

dazzle

Name
James
Thank you for all the input. Your responses are the very reason for my question. I have noticed so many of you veterans run HE and I was leaning toward a simple secondary fuel system.
I ran a Performer 405 manual diverter which I loved until it was out of warranty and I started having problems. I was discouraged by the big names having to become a part time mechanic because the local distributors have little interest in fixing but I get it their business is sales.
Then I worked with a lil giant and no longer had to run out to the unit every time the wand stopped moving. This offset the tradeoff of having to get propane and periodic burner maintenance. I fell in love with the HEAT on demand. I have not worked with the newer HE units that divert and do not fill my recovery tank with clean water. So I wanted to get some perspective on how far they have come. Up to this point I had only talked to cleaners that were at a distributor getting repairs so their input has not been encouraging.
In my area almost everyone has HE units so I have not got to have a real discussion with any cleaners that have ran both. I really appreciate you guys.

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
I had a little giant propane heater and loved it, they can get your water hotter then you need it. I never turned mine up much past the warm setting on the dial.
You do have to light the pilot light each time and you do have an added expense of buying propane all the time

I bought a new TM that uses a heat exchanger.
I don't think my HE can get as hot as the little giant i had but i never turned the little giant up to high anyway
The HE gets plenty hot enough and heats the water up really fast
I don't have to buy propane anymore which saves me money
I don't have to re light a pilot light at each job anymore
it just one less thing to worry about

I'm more then happy with the HE over the little giant

The only issue i had was my TM would dump water into my recovery tank automatically if you weren't using the wand. Machine wasn't doing anything wrong this is how it was designed.

I also have a 70 gallon fresh water tank so one time when i took it in for service i had the guy reroute where the machine dumped the water, so now it dumps into the fresh water tank and i no longer have too worry about my waste tank filling up to quick.

So after a job or two if the fresh water tank has a lot of water in it i'll just use it at my next job so it doesn't go to waste. If i need to dump it i'll just let it drain where ever i'm at as its just fresh clean water

Mikey P

Administrator
I prefer to attract the sort of clients that do not require boiling water to get their homes cleaned.

Or rotary extraction, red dye removers or Water Claws and urine products for that matter.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I prefer to attract the sort of clients that do not require boiling water to get their homes cleaned.

Or rotary extraction, red dye removers or Water Claws and urine products for that matter.
Those that can come clean by rubbing with a damp towel. We know!

I weep for what happened to the cleaner you used to be! 🥴

🤭

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom