Property manager.... No schmooze, you lose...

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Looks like I'm not the first call for this gold-mine of a property manager I found. He is with one of my competitors. One of them that actually does good work. I thought I nailed it, carpets clean and dry, get called out to my next one. The guy inspecting the house mentioned that the carpets looked good, and he couldn't believe they were dry already. I asked him if the carpets looked better than when the other guys clean them. He hesitated, and said he couldn't say anything about the other carpet cleaners because everybody loves them. He said his coworkers made him feel like he was breaking the law by using anybody other than the regular guy.

I don't get it. I charge a comparable price, get the carpets cleaner, heat transfer the kool-aid, and get them dry when I leave, but it's still not good enough to be first call. If I can win the staff over I can have the whole pie, 'till then it's just leftovers.

Any suggestions on how I can win them over? I am not skilled when it comes to schmoozing.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
contrary to what many here might say.....I consider mysef to be the BEST schmoozer ever.....call 'em......

dear!

matt sheppard

if you really want the contract continue to do good work, and be nice , genuine. pm's are very loyal on site, but they can see a schmoozer from a mile away. treat them like friends and they'll become friends.apt work is all about who you know and pricing. be careful, i got screwed doing apt work.

good luck

matt

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Average unit is 1200 sq. ft. with 12 stairs. Most are houses, some are duplexes... Some are 3000 sq. ft.... Nice stuff. It's a gold-mine.

Rex Tyus

Any suggestions on how I can win them over? I am not skilled when it comes to schmoozing.

Charm, wit, and personality will win more often than technical ability alone.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
be glad you could be doing even a little work for them. If you're in it fro the long haul it may pay off in a few years. The other guy may get out of biz and you'd be next in line.

Albert

Bob Foster

Send him a hand written thank you note and say you would be glad to be of service again.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Bob Foster said:
Send him a hand written thank you note and say you would be glad to be of service again.

Along with pizza for his whole staff right at noon?

Too much?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
B&BGaryC said:
I don't get it. I charge a comparable price, get the carpets cleaner, heat transfer the kool-aid, and get them dry when I leave, but it's still not good enough to be first call. If I can win the staff over I can have the whole pie, 'till then it's just leftovers.

Gary, when it comes to service based businesses, 80% of customer satisfaction is based on the relationship of the client and the technician.

So yeah, it may not make sense, but it is a reality so go for it, try and wow them but I wouldn't go over the top at least initially.

The hand written thank you wouldn't hurt, maybe attach a small wrapped chocolate and see what happens. I don't know how you Americans react to this type of thing, but down under, home made cookies or muffins or cake go a long way in an office for positive moments of truth. If you've got him, then you'll be back regardless.

Another factor, don't forget Michael Gerber's law of first and second place. If the whole staff 'automatically' think ABC Cleaning when they consider carpet cleaning, then no matter what you do, you've got little chance till they stuff up or there's necessity for change.

That doesn't mean sit back in defeat, but always just 'be there', not in their face, but always just in the back of their minds so when for what ever reason they get fed up and want to change, then you're the automatic choice and then you'll jump to number one!!!

Keep quietly working on your relationship with your current inside contact and in time, you'll crack the circle and start getting a bit more work.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom