Prostitution

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
i knew that would get your attention...c'mon it's a 21st century pennysaver, with no $$$ up front....i talked with the dude yesterday, he even told me that the past few local guys were wasting their time and they may not use them again, they sold 75 jobs, for them that's not good enough....u can get exposure for sure but your gonna kill yourself chasing shit jobs and shit customers that want a "bargain"

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ha...I know you knew....I took the bait.

It's just not working out like that.

The only person I have spoken with who did it for carpet cleaning and didn't like it was Ron Lippold.

My 2 experiences with Groupon have worked out well....not a get rich thing or anything...but it's better than anything I've seen for getting new, upscale customers who are looking for more than a bargain.

Hard to explain, but just because there is a super low price doesn't mean they are priceshoppers by our definition.

I've only had a few crap houses and only a few that didn't have something else done.

I've done probably 10 tile jobs now just from this run. Repeat customers, referrals.

I don't want to talk anyone into this because lets face it

Any "deal" can be good or bad...it's all about how you handle it.

I can't believe we are still talking about this.

If you sign up with Groupon or any other service that takes 50 percent of your money when you are already whoring yourself out, you are a hack destined to fail.

End of story.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
danielc said:

If you sign up with Groupon or any other service that takes 50 percent of your money when you are already whoring yourself out, you are a hack destined to fail.

End of story.
slowclap.gif

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
To each their own - but if you are going to spend money advertising - why not make the most of it? Why not work smarter and more efficiently and not harder. Has anyone really done a thorough cost analysis of it against their biz model - or has everyone just leaped in?

Against mine as an example. If you have to sell 200 $200 jobs - at $100, and they get $50, thats $10,000 spent. Now add in the $100 off given on the face of the coupon. $20,000 (this is red ink no matter how you slice it). Thats $30,000 on 200 jobs.

That is an acquisition cost of $150 per customer - before any other cost of performing service. So add another $30 (which I feel is low, real low) - you are now at a $180 cost per job.

If you need to make even 25% net, you have to get them to $225, IMHO it sounds real tough to do. Will you get repeat biz from it - yes - but you still have to consider, they don't call you back and just hand you the money for the service - you have to go out and provide it - so again - you have a cost that eats away at that.

I know every market is so very different, in mine I can do a mailing that hits 800k homes for $4500, I can do another that hits 650k for $3600, and another that hits 475k for $3200

I know there is going to be crossover - but lets call it an even mill. for just over $11k. Which from April through December, stacks 4 trucks, 4-5 jobs a day, 6 days a week - and so only at a discount per package that varies from 5-20% off.

Averaged out that's 432 jobs in a month from $11k at at worst 80% of going rate - vs . 200 jobs that you spend $30k to get at a 25% rate.

Even if you want to call your $100 discount "not real money spent" though it is - it's still 200 jobs at a 25% rate with $10k spent.

Sit down and really think what you could do with $10k in terms of marketing - then figure in it wouldn't be going towards efforts starting at 25% of your normal rate.

If what we did was a short cycle biz - dry cleaners, salons, spas, tanning salon's etc - TOTALLY different ballgame, but we are not a short cycle biz.

Hope it works out for those that have tried or are planning on trying it - anyone that has done it I'd be interested in hearing the math in how it did work out, or the math in how it will have made sense in the long run and how long that math was figured to.

rick imby

Name
Rick
indyallpro said:
To each their own - but if you are going to spend money advertising - why not make the most of it? Why not work smarter and more efficiently and not harder. Has anyone really done a thorough cost analysis of it against their biz model - or has everyone just leaped in?

Against mine as an example. If you have to sell 200 $200 jobs - at $100, and they get $50, thats $10,000 spent. Now add in the $100 off given on the face of the coupon. $20,000 (this is red ink no matter how you slice it). Thats $30,000 on 200 jobs.

That is an acquisition cost of $150 per customer - before any other cost of performing service. So add another $30 (which I feel is low, real low) - you are now at a $180 cost per job.

If you need to make even 25% net, you have to get them to $225, IMHO it sounds real tough to do. Will you get repeat biz from it - yes - but you still have to consider, they don't call you back and just hand you the money for the service - you have to go out and provide it - so again - you have a cost that eats away at that.

I know every market is so very different, in mine I can do a mailing that hits 800k homes for $4500, I can do another that hits 650k for $3600, and another that hits 475k for $3200

I know there is going to be crossover - but lets call it an even mill. for just over $11k. Which from April through December, stacks 4 trucks, 4-5 jobs a day, 6 days a week - and so only at a discount per package that varies from 5-20% off.

Averaged out that's 432 jobs in a month from $11k at at worst 80% of going rate - vs . 200 jobs that you spend $30k to get at a 25% rate.

Even if you want to call your $100 discount "not real money spent" though it is - it's still 200 jobs at a 25% rate with $10k spent.

Sit down and really think what you could do with $10k in terms of marketing - then figure in it wouldn't be going towards efforts starting at 25% of your normal rate.

If what we did was a short cycle biz - dry cleaners, salons, spas, tanning salon's etc - TOTALLY different ballgame, but we are not a short cycle biz.

Hope it works out for those that have tried or are planning on trying it - anyone that has done it I'd be interested in hearing the math in how it did work out, or the math in how it will have made sense in the long run and how long that math was figured to.

I have never heard the term Short Cycle Business but I really like it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've known companies including mine that have spent money on advertising with very little or no return...I would imagine we all have.

So not everyone will get customers from just a mailing....and seldom does one mailing do it anyway...you have to send out 1 a month for at least a few months. Do those numbers.

With Groupon, it's "you get the customer, or you don't pay"....name another advertiser like that.

Everything is speculation until you actually do the deal.

Name
I'm Rick James
truckmount girl said:
I thought maybe this thread was about a new add-on service for the tough economy.

Take care,
Lisa

I tried it.. apperantly not all women are into a guy cleaning in a thong and a wife beater. The cops didnt think it was funny either... Going to try air duct cleaning instead..

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
more and more studies come out everyday on this subject but people like Robinson and No Cum do not believe the facts and that you need to meet certain criteria to be sucksessful. Heck even groupon realized that and is in the midst of changing their business modewl but Robinson and no cum still are like an obama fan with a trust fund hating bush instead

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Thanks for the kudos. I wanted to point out my post was not meant to attack anyone, nor discount someone's reason for doing it - it was simply to point out - against my business model - the math absolutely does not work out, and to maybe get some wheels turning for those that don't have a CODB and biz plan really thought out to the pennies.

And even past the math, if you have commissioned techs - this is a morale killer. If they are hourly, your costs are going to be even higher as you're likely going to be forking out serious OT as it seems this would stack your schedule, too much too fast, rather than a nice even steady flow of phone calls from various ads planned to hit the streets at different dates through the month. My ads hit the first week, middle second week, and end of the third to beginning of the 4th week each month.

Also - this is training the public to buy "deals" and not quality, and especially hurtful to wait for them. As a customer myself to many things - I look at this this way. No company will provide a service at a loss or break even point, so they have to be making something - how are they going to do that. Then down the road when I do call them back, and I remember that $100 deal, and now they want twice that for the same service - it's a turn off, well now they are clubbing me over the head. Also, in terms of referrals - if you've been referred, the custy and referral know each other and likely have a strong relationship - if custy 1 tells custy 2 about their price - custy 2 is likely wanting one heck of a deal too, or, if custy 2 talks to custy 1 after a regular priced cleaning - they aren't going to be pleased about the price difference.

The public wanting deals is why manufacturing is all but gone here in the US, it's not the big corps, it's not our big brother, the responsibiliy lies squarely on the general public - we have price shopped our way out of manufacturing, as well as price shopped our way out of solid blue collar jobs in the US. Personally I won't support this on that basis alone.

IF - groupon is currently adapting a new biz model for service companies and different industries with different margins, cycles, needs - I applaud them - maybe it will become a broad fit marketing wise, for now I see it as a cashflow "life ring", thrown from a cruiship that rather than taking you on board, drags you to the next island and leaves you, for our industry at least.

@ Brian - you are absolutely right, you can spend money on print ads and not get the desired return, one mailing virtually never "does it". But it's a process - if this owning your own biz thing was just add water - everyone would be microwaving their own company.

Print ads are an art, you have to have the right offer, countermarket against your direct competition, plus, against even the other non-competetive ads - after all - the people reading these ad pubs will only have so many extra dollars that month to spend on the things in the publication that month, as well as brand yourself.

And to brand yourself takes time - years.

With print ads you can typically expect results in 3 months, sometimes longer, but that's what I have found - 3-6 months to see the real return you can expect.

And again - you are right, it takes those three months and it's respective cost, so lets say that it takes that - I'm now at an even spend with groupon, but not providing services at 25% of gross throughout, and building a brand at the same time which is as priceless a commodity in our biz as it gets.

Example - I say two words, yellow vans - you say _________ __________

We all know it's not because of their amazing service - then why? Because they have built a brand, and anyone wanting to be in this industry with intentions of it being a career - needs to start considering the long term plan they have or don't have. At some point you need to find effective and successful methods for print ads, referrals, maybe even radio and t.v. - because groupon isn't going to brand you, it's to narrow of a market on both sides, theirs and ours.

And again - I am very interested to read the math or "goes intos" number wise as to how this would or could be profitable and across it's pretdetermined timeline. And please, nobody take my post as an attack on you - just trying to put more solid numbers to it than traditional ad efforts, because its far from traditional advertising.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Serve Pro. :mrgreen:

I think I've said enough. At this point it really just comes down to repeating myself.

Either way, I hope everyone here has a growing business that makes money..no matter how you do it as long as it's legal.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Anthony makes a lot of great points. After thinking more about it, I don't want my business name associated with this type of marketing, so I really feel it was a good thing that they didn't accept my tile cleaning ad....I wouldn't want to be held to those prices if those people were to come back months or years later...to have to tell them the price they originally paid was only a "groupon special" and they have to pay more could possibly become a lost custy, potential BBQing reviews on the internet, or potential bad mouthing to their friends/families

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
:lol: serv pro - nice

In all seriousness, I'd love to see a post with the numbers from top to bottom once you feel like it's developed enough to state the up to date numbers and anticipated future effects.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
We all do some nasty work in this industry for the $dollars. You might be a high price ho or a me sucky, sucky the whole house for $59 ho but, one sure way to keep more of the hard earned money is to get out from under the pimp.

I'll be damed if I'm going out to clean blood piss and shit out of someone's carpet and give out half the money.

lance

I figured out why it works for Brian. He is not an O/O, he is a subbing out company. Way different.

When he did Groupon he did not have a full schedule FOR HIMSELF. If there were any jobs on the books they were going to the subs. So when the groupon jobs started to appear he had the time to do them and make money.....because he wasn't working on jobs himself. And he certainly made more money than if those groupon jobs did not come up.

Anthony looks and reacts to the deal as a true business owner with his own trucks, employees, and costs. Brian doesn't have to look at it that way because of the way his company is set up.

Say that you have one truck with two guys doing all the work. But you have an owner off of the phones and an extra back up truck. Then you as the owner could do all or most of the Groupon jobs depending on when they are scheduled....and you could also upsell and spend sometime with that G-on customer so that they might become a regular customer. All because you have that one truck out working all your regular business jobs.

Brian's business plan does not have to take into consideration the expenses and costs of running a van and TM. He just has to pay for his gas and OP machine and supplies. The groupon deal was not paid for by his regular business and so any profit he got from those customers was almost all to be paid into his bank account......not to the costs of a TM and van. He didn't have to figure in marketing costs with the groupon deal because there weren't any.

And remember that he also got customers from Groupon that didn't buy the groupon deal. So everyone one of those jobs were not split with groupon or his subs. They were more profit going directly into his pocket.

If Brian had a company with employees and TM expenses would he be as happy as he is now with the results? Maybe or maybe not. I think it would depend on if those groupon jobs took the place of his regular jobs. If they did I think he would realize how Groupon really affected his bottom line.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
ACE said:
We all do some nasty work in this industry for the $dollars. You might be a high price ho or a me sucky, sucky the whole house for $59 ho but, one sure way to keep more of the hard earned money is to get out from under the pimp.

I'll be damed if I'm going out to clean blood piss and shit out of someone's carpet and give out half the money.

Love it!!

Take care,
Lisa

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
danielc said:

End of story.
I did groupon and Iam far from a hack!!!! I also assure you that Iam far from destined to fail.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Dmreed4311 said:
danielc said:

End of story.
I did groupon and Iam far from a hack!!!! I also assure you that Iam far from destined to fail.

David, could you share the data?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom