Protector on micro fiber

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I use hardball solvent..

A customer called and said I spilled red koolaid on my sofa and its not beading up. why not?
What do you do in this situation? First of all I dont think u can put protector on microfiber..

So i am refunding her money in the morning..

So what do you do if a customer says this whether its on furniture or carpet?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I didnt do it i wouldnt have. my tech said............ it says fabric protector on it.. He is right it does.. so why can you not use it on MF?

Able 1

Name
Keith
joeynbgky said:
So you cant use solvent on polyester carpet either? hmm..
Just don't like to rip off my custys but that's just me...

lance

Joey, call and talk to Mike Vernon about the protector. He has cleaned for 30 years or so.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
wish somebody would give a straight answer here..

I use hardball protector too... Very pleased with it and smells great too! Especially their Apple Spice. hardball can be used on tile n grout too.

Always had problems with waterbased protectors constantly clogging up sprayers. so switched to solvent based and problems went away.

So, are water based protectors better or not?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I always use water base...but I use a strainer when pouring it into my mixing jug and never have I had a clogging issue......

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Micro fiber is poypropolene i.e olefin, recycled pop bottles. Protector does nothing for poly as the color is the fiber and solvent can actually damage the "plastic" sorry for not giving a "straight" answer I really thought everyone already knew that.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Polyester and or polimades so yes Lee polyester. I need to discuss this with the person who explained it to me.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas

Microfiber can be one of many types of fiber. Poly, nylon, etc.

I believe solvent protector would have to be grossly over applied to damage microfiber.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've had great success with protector performance on Microfiber, including "beading up".

Residues left on fabric have been the primary culprits in protector performance in my experience.

Test your products on freshly cleaned fabric, and if you have the time and inclination, try different upholstery cleaning procedures and products.

It makes a difference.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Don't take my word for it, test it like I said.

Too many people test protector on new fabric.

Test it out after you clean it the way you clean it.

It's the only test that counts.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
joeynbgky said:
I use hardball solvent..

A customer called and said I spilled red koolaid on my sofa and its not beading up. why not?
What do you do in this situation? First of all I dont think u can put protector on microfiber..

Joey, look at the fibre construction.

With fibres (sorry fibers), that are closely woven, the protector, or pretty much any liquid, will "bead up" momentarily, before soaking into the fiber base.

With an open weave, or fabric that is woven loosely if you like, the liquid will disappear straight into the foundation.

This can even happen with an open weave fabric that has had protector applied, be it solvent or water based.

Try it with a piece of fly screen material, pour water on it and the water goes straight through the holes, same analogy.

Hard to translate to some of you blokes over there. shiteatinggrin

Hope this helps.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Have you ever cleaned micro suede or fiber and where its less worn the water just bounces right off(sometimes splashing all over) but on the seat or where its used more it doesnt. Makes me wonder how the protector is put on at the factory or what type is used cause it really is amazing at keeping water from absorbing into it. For a while anyway.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
joeynbgky said:
I use hardball solvent..

It doesn't really matter whether the Koolaid beaded up or not.

The question is did the Koolaid blot out or clean out without staining the fabric?

If so it did its job.

Name
Lee Stockwell
KevinD said:
joeynbgky said:
I use hardball solvent..

The question is did the Koolaid blot out or clean out without staining the fabric?

If so it did its job.

That's it!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
KevinD said:

I believe solvent protector would have to be grossly over applied to damage microfiber.

I'm afraid he is right. Microfiber is simply a name for a the type of texture it is.

Protectors are meant to protect the vulnerable dye sites, help resist soiling, or both.

I really hate the claims that it will bead up, it may work with a few drops of liquid but not always with spills.

KevinD said:

If so it did its job.

Bingo !gotcha!

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Hoody said:
KevinD said:

I'm afraid he is right. Microfiber is simply a name for a the type of texture it is.

Protectors are meant to protect the vulnerable dye sites, help resist soiling, or both.

I really hate the claims that it will bead up, it may work with a few drops of liquid but not always with spills.

KevinD said:

If so it did its job.

Bingo !gotcha!

Hoody is officially a guru. Generally I DO NOT recommend protector on polyester or olefin due to its resistent properties. I offer Scotchgard on carpets that might actually benefit from its application not to apply it to make money. I know everyone has their opinion, so to each his own. Needless to say, I don't sell alot of protector. I look out for my customers, not my pocketbook.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Going directly to the customer's concern - repellency can work different ways either because the protector itself is different or because the fabric is constructed differently. Beading up is ok for a demo, but may not always be the way the product works on your client's carpet or upholstery. As Kevin says, the real question is "Did it make it easy for the Kool Aid to be cleaned out?"

Microifiber can be polyester or a blend of polyester and polyamide (which is essentially nylon.)

Polyester can benefit from resistance to oily spills. Nylon also benefits from resistance to the dyes found in beverages. Only a protector with acid dye resistors provides protection against the food coloring / dyes.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
IMO my customers are better served by saving the money on Scotchgard (in most cases) and cleaning the carpet more often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom